Body Plugs for Trunk (71 Demon)

-

Gibber

Reaction score
Looking for some info on what plugs should go in the two holes on each side of the body along the trunk. Something needs to go in there as the holes are outside the trunk seal. Picture attached.

Thanks,

Mark

IMG_6350.jpg

I think those are ripped out spot welds.

On 67 dart there is a braket from there to the wheel well. Mine had 2 spot welds in that location. At some time the spots metal fatigued and the braket was just hanging free.

Look inside the trunk for a braket that is not attached. Compare to the other side.

This is the drivers side but the bracket circled is what I suspect is not attached or missing.
PXL_20201023_225807206~2.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW...my 71 Demon 340 has no such holes. My 72 Demon likewise has no such holes. Not saying they do not belong, just that my 2 samples do not have them.

I looked at my 72 Demon- those holes do not exist. They will let water into the car.

Looks like the holes from a trunk channel mounted radio or CB antenna.
th?id=OP.%2fKK9E77ogUbtuQ474C474&w=161&h=220&rs=1&o=5&pid=21.jpg

Since you've already got it nicely painted, I would just go to the hardware store or electrical supply house and get some appropriately sized rubber hole plugs, installed with a dab of silicone on the bottom.
OIP.YRidoc3Jr780FyjcuLJWcgHaHa?w=218&h=218&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.jpg

If you can't find that, a small pan head machine screw and nut with a rubber or fiber washer should do the trick.

No Pro Guru here, But, I've had a bunch of the Only Cars ( to me, anyhow) lol. In various states,from bone stock drivers, to old beaters that run like a scalded dog.. never seen those, like that... now, it's entirely possible, that I've seen rotted up gutters, over the years.
+1 ProfessorFate

I'm liking the CB antenna theory.

Some things to consider anything you put there needs to be flat enough to not interfere with the trunk lip.

There are very flat flathead screws that you could put in the holes and a rubber washer on the back side. I agree that some RTV would be a good idea too.

In the short term you could put some clear packing tap over the holes to keep water out of your trunk.

-
Back