Body Side Molding ?s

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
I was out in the garage today and had to slide by the Dart GT. As I brushed up against the passenger front fender the hole in my jeans caught the body side molding and yanked it away from the body (about 6" long).
$hit, was my first thought, but then I looked a little closer at it and now I'm thinking it is the stick on/glue on molding versus the riveted(?) on molding.
Is there a way to tell from inside the trunk if the molding is stick on/glue on versus the riveted on molding? Would I see any signs of the rivets on the back side of the quarter panels?
I'd like to remove the molding either way, but if it is just the glue on/stick on I can do it now without having to do any body work with the rivet grinding, as a paint job is in the way off future.
Thanks for any input/opinions!!

My 71 has nuts holding it on in some places. Open a door and look at the very back near the top of the door frame. You should see a nut there is memory serves

Stick-on molding will have 2-sided tape on it and will be made of flexible vinyl. Clip-on type molding is made of stainless or aluminum with a vinyl insert and is 'hollow' on the back side so you can insert the clips.
Dallas

If its the car in your picture looks to be the stick on type. You can pull it off take a sharpe new razor blade and remove the old tape. Get some new double sided 3m tape and also they make some adheision promotor wipes that work well from 3m also. Wipe the moulding down with the promotor and apply the tape, the wipe the fender with another one and apply the moulding. Done deal.

I looked at the body side molding again and discovered it is in fact the the glue on/stick on type. With that said, I slowly pulled the molding off the front fender. Now I have the foam from the double sided tape and the glue residue to remove. I tried a rag with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol with no results. Is there a product I can use to remove the foam and glue residue?

Dan

The only way I know is a single edge razor blade, dress the blade edge, rock slooooowly back and forth. and take your time!

Later,
Bruce B.

I looked at the body side molding again and discovered it is in fact the the glue on/stick on type. With that said, I slowly pulled the molding off the front fender. Now I have the foam from the double sided tape and the glue residue to remove. I tried a rag with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol with no results. Is there a product I can use to remove the foam and glue residue?

Dan

Dan,
You can buy a rubber 'eraser' that you put in an electric drill that will take the old tape off. It will take most of the adhesive off also but I finish up with 'adhesive remover' that can also be purchased at the parts store.
I tend to gouge the paint with a razor blade.
Dallas

-
Back