Bodywork Questions, also dumb mistakes

-

HTMLmopars

Reaction score
Got a couple questions, somewhat related. First of all, the front of my 68 Valiant has been probably nosed into a ditch, so the fram ahead of the k-member needs to be straightened out, gotta find a body shop that has time and isn't scared of old cars to fix that. The same accident (I assume) resulted in the passenger side fender being pretty well mashed. I picked up the front clip off a junkyard 4 door 68, so I have replacement fenders (both sides), hood, bumper and turn signal housing piece (goes above bumper, below grill, idk what to call it). The only problem is tha tthe passenger side fender on that car has its own damage.
My first question is which fender shoud I use/which would be easier to get straightened out?
20200326_133528.jpg

20200313_144207.jpg

Secondly, I made quite possibly the dumbest mistake I've ever made with a car on Monday. Had done some work on the rear suspension and neglected to tighten the driver's side rear lugnuts. Tire fell completely off the car and smoked the rear quarter panel, folding it over almost a full 90 degrees. Fortunately that was the most of the damage done, but what's the best plan for that? Just bend it back out, hammer out the dent under the gas cap from inside the trunk? Really bummed about making such a dumb mistake that hurt the car that bad.
20200323_140248_HDR.jpg
20200323_140259_HDR.jpg

Not that simple, unfortunately, the 1/4 panel is stretched as well as bent, how nice you want it to look will dictate how much work/expense it will take to repair. I'm not a bodyman by trade, but I've bent plenty of sheetmetal in my time, and had my wallet lightened accordingly.

Just so you know, you're not the only dummy out there. I did it myself, and I've been working on cars since the 70's. I dodged the bullet on mine.
The fender with the least rust is the best choice. You want to pull, push , the metal in the opposite direction of how it was hit. You should look at any videos you can on how to do it. Eastwood has a bunch of videos. old fenders are good for practice.

Just so you know, you're not the only dummy out there. I did it myself, and I've been working on cars since the 70's. I dodged the bullet on mine.
The fender with the least rust is the best choice. You want to pull, push , the metal in the opposite direction of how it was hit. You should look at any videos you can on how to do it. Eastwood has a bunch of videos. old fenders are good for practice.
The junkyard fenders aren't nearly as dented, but they would require plenty of metal fill. Do you have an opinion on which is easier to do, fill holes, or reshape that lower front body line that's mangled on the mounted fender?

The only way to fill holes is to weld them. The fender on the car has a lot of bondo in it. The one off the car has issues, but it looks to be a better bet. If you invest in a good welder, you will never regret it. Some body tools from Harbor freight should help.

The only way to fill holes is to weld them. The fender on the car has a lot of bondo in it. The one off the car has issues, but it looks to be a better bet. If you invest in a good welder, you will never regret it. Some body tools from Harbor freight should help.
What about the fender on the car points to lots of bondo? Just trying to get a better eye for this kinda stuff. Also, if the fender off the car is in better shape, would it be beneficial to fix it before bolting it on, or bolt it on and then continue on to bodywork?

What about the fender on the car points to lots of bondo? Just trying to get a better eye for this kinda stuff. Also, if the fender off the car is in better shape, would it be beneficial to fix it before bolting it on, or bolt it on and then continue on to bodywork?
Lots of cracks in the damaged area. Also look like a chunk of bondo came out when it was hit. You can strip the fender on the car, and see how bad it is. Only you can decide whether to repair the fender on, or off the car. Just depends on if it's easier to work on bolted to the car.

Since you’re in the PNW, see what Wildcat wrecking has for Valiant fenders. They might have one that will need less work and labour than either of yours.

-
Back