Bolt in Harness Bar don't do it!!!

-

mowrycuda68

Reaction score

Attachments

• P1000993.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,107
Interesting for sure, I like the idea! I sorta think they should have used something a little more "heavy" to tie it to the lower mounts

the lower tubes are thicker than they look. they were quite heavy. not sure of the gauge but I trust it. Definitely not as good as a cage but this is a street car i never race it. All I'm going for is "safer" :burnout:

Bolt in bolt out....the back seat is crowded with out the bar you ever sat back there. and the love connection happens on the trunk lid:angel12: If I put a weld in roll cage then I'd be stuck with it forever what I like about this is I get to have the added saftey of a 4 point harness and I can remove it if I need room for passengers. besides my car is far from original or stock so.... I thought it would get a warmer reception. oh well.

How much of a PITA is it to take in/out? I like the concept, I can't have a cage because the kiddo's will be riding in the back at times, but not all the time.

Very easy...it takes like 20 minutes to install it the first time because you have to adjust the rods and play around with the hardware a bit but after that its very easy to take in and out. I did it with no assistance. and I took it back out just to see how hard it would be since i have daughter who at times rides in the back. its a breeze.:D

the upper brackets can stay in place and the lower rods can fold forward all you have to do is unbolt the bar. definitely is a good alternative to a cage..even though a cage is the ultimate in safety. I wouldnt say the harness bar makes the car "death proof " but anything is better than those 40 year old lap belts i had

I have a friend who got impaled by a steering wheel... he lived but now has one lung. lap belts= pain

I'd be willing to bet that this will add rigidity to the car since it ties the top if the car with the bottom.

thanks mowry, for adding another item to the list of things I didn't know I wanted, but now have to have! I've been looking at some Schroth belts that mount at the rear seat belt points but that would still be below my shoulders and spinal compression just doesn't sound like fun to me.

thanks mowry, for adding another item to the list of things I didn't know I wanted, but now have to have! I've been looking at some Schroth belts that mount at the rear seat belt points but that would still be below my shoulders and spinal compression just doesn't sound like fun to me.

Very true a simple fender bender could leave you crippled.

I didn't notice at first but i had installed it backwards. now I have more room to recline the seats and the strap bars are pointing back like they should. lol

:banghead:

it looks very nice but it looks as though that down bar might go over center with enough force like in a head-on with something. the arc swing seems a little short. it was bigger when you has it in backwards. it just seems a tad suspect. think about it for a moment. but then again it could just be me. it still looks damn good.

I'm not feeling this, at all....

What exactly is it supposed to do?

If it's supposed to give you an upper shoulder harness mount to keep you from moving forward in a head-on collision, the joints in the lower bar provide zero support, and it looks like it uses very little in the way of mounting the cross bar to mounts up top (Those bolts look like 1/4-20, maybe 5/16 bolts and there's only one per side) but I don't recall there being a whole hell of a lot of structural metal up top to mount the thing to.
The leverage given by the cross bar would just snap those bolts off if you applied much forward force to that cross bar.

If it's supposed to provide support in a side collision, it can't because there's no trangulation, the thing just folds over like the rest of the car.

I'd be willing to bet that this will add rigidity to the car since it ties the top if the car with the bottom.

It doesn't tie anything together. NOTHING. The joints that allow the drop bars to pivot make sure that it contributes nothing to rigidity and even if they were solid, the rectangle shape would contribute only minimally to resisting twisting of the car (emphasis on the "minimal").

All I see is a place for rear-seat passengers to hit their heads in a wreck, and for front seat passengers to have both collarbones broken.
Did it come with any kind of DOT or NHTSA certifications or inspections?

My opinions don't mean much and might change if I could see the whole thing, but that's what I see right now.

-
Back