BOLT IN REAR SUSPENSION ?

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
Does anyone make a bolt in rear suspension ? Here is my dilemma. I am working in a small 1 bay garage with a 7 foot ceiling & no access to a welder. The size tire & rim I will be running I have to either put in a different type of suspension or move the leaf springs in. With all that said I am just tring to make thing easy for my self with the room & tools I have. A bolt in rear suspension would make things easy for me other than crawling around on the floor. LOL O have a 67 barracuda & I will be running a 17x 9.5 rim w/ 275/50/17 tire I am hoping I don't have to mini tub it. It looks like its going to be very close.

I have a 68 Barracuda, and the tubs will physically accept a 325/50-15 on a 10" rim, between the inner wall and the outter. I did have to pound the inner wall in a few places, and I did have to fold a small portion of the fender lip,
for clearance, to corner more than idling around,and I did have to offset the springs.

However 295/50-15s on 10s fit just fine before the fitting of the 325s, and I drove the chip out of it with no rubbing.

So 275s are not a problem to physically fit into your tubs. And the springs do not have to be moved. But the backspace on the 9.5s will need to be just right so that she don't rub. With a zero-offset 9.5 wheel, the backspace should be about 5.25. That's fine but I think the springs, without offsetting, will likely get into the sidewalls. So
you will probably need to run long studs and spacers to push the wheel towards the outboard side, to get it off the springs.

IMO, offsetting the springs is not a big deal, unless you are in some way physically handicapped.

I ran 275/50-15s and 275/60-15s on 8.5" rims right in the un-molested tubs and springs on zero-offset wheels. That would be a 4.75" backspace.

Last edited:
pretty sure the Dr Diff 1/2" relocation kit or bone stock are the only things that are 100% bolt in...hammer sold separately :)

On my 1967 Barracuda, I run a 275/45-18 on a 18x9.5 US mags U109 with stock leaf springs in the stock location.
Had slightly roll upper wheel well on one side.

IMG_20190816_162705887.jpg

IMG_20190816_162550923.jpg

Qa1 makes a six link rear that is totally bolt in. Just installed one,with 17x10's on it and an inch of clearance still on each side. Bolts to stock rearend and leaf spring perch mounting holes. Pics of it on the busted knuckle duster post

Qa1 makes a six link rear that is totally bolt in. Just installed one,with 17x10's on it and an inch of clearance still on each side. Bolts to stock rearend and leaf spring perch mounting holes. Pics of it on the busted knuckle duster post
Mopar Rear Suspension Conversion System | QA1

$3000...you can buy a nice welder for that and still have $$ left over

Here is a link to the wheel specs:

Bandit - U109 - US MAGS

I cut down a Dana 60 to exactly match the 8 3/4 I took out.

Large bolt pattern.

I like the deep look the back and the front.

What was the flange to flange width?

Was it a factory small bolt A-body 8 3/4 you took out ?

5.25” backspace seems a bit much with factory small bolt with or with additional 1/4-3/8” on each side drop in big bolt axles add.

What’s the distance now from tire to leaf?

245/50/15 15x8 with 4.5 backspace is like 1/2” from leaf spring. I have small bolt axles (redrilled to LBP)

Last edited:
I like the deep look the back and the front.

What was the flange to flange width?

Was it a factory small bolt A-body 8 3/4 you took out ?

5.25” backspace seems a bit much with factory small bolt with or with additional 1/4-3/8” on each side drop in big bolt axles add.

What’s the distance now from tire to leaf?

245/50/15 15x8 with 4.5 backspace is like 1/2” from leaf spring. I have small bolt axles (redrilled to LBP)

Thanks that is the look I was going for.

I don't remember the flange to flange width.
I do believe the rear is original to the car, I am the second owner.
The car is a factory 4-speed Commando car.
It was small bolt pattern.

I put it and the Dana I got out of a truck, on jack stands, one in front of the other.
Then I cut the Dana down to match.

Tire to leaf spring distance is now 3/8".

I have a 68 Barracuda, and the tubs will physically accept a 325/50-15 on a 10" rim, between the inner wall and the outter. I did have to pound the inner wall in a few places, and I did have to fold a small portion of the fender lip,
for clearance, to corner more than idling around,and I did have to offset the springs.

However 295/50-15s on 10s fit just fine before the fitting of the 325s, and I drove the chip out of it with no rubbing.

So 275s are not a problem to physically fit into your tubs. And the springs do not have to be moved. But the backspace on the 9.5s will need to be just right so that she don't rub. With a zero-offset 9.5 wheel, the backspace should be about 5.25. That's fine but I think the springs, without offsetting, will likely get into the sidewalls. So
you will probably need to run long studs and spacers to push the wheel towards the outboard side, to get it off the springs.

IMO, offsetting the springs is not a big deal, unless you are in some way physically handicapped.

I ran 275/50-15s and 275/60-15s on 8.5" rims right in the un-molested tubs and springs on zero-offset wheels. That would be a 4.75" backspace.
my 17x9.5s have a 5.05 back spacing I put them in place & there is no way they will fit with the leaf springs in the stock location

You can always us a wheel spacer to center it in the wheel well. Not ideal but a quality spacer should be fine.

Last edited:
My 17x9.5s 27.8 dia section width 11.18 tread width 9.80

cudas  17 in wheels 001.JPG

cudas  17 in wheels 002.JPG

cudas  17 in wheels 004.JPG

cudas  17 in wheels 003.JPG

cudas  17 in wheels 005.JPG

cudas  17 in wheels 006.JPG

Last edited:
what tires are those? Nitto's? looks like it's an oddball size

looks like you need a mini tub and the springs moved into the frame rails. that tire is huge, 11.18" wide and 27.87" tall.
HERE'S an example of one that's a little smaller and might fit, 275/40/17, 10.9" wide, 25.7" tall, but the rim will need to be in just the right place. what's the widest anyone has fit on one of these with out a mini tub?

what tires are those? Nitto's? looks like it's an oddball size
yep Nittos 275/50/17 went with that size because I had several people tell me that tire size would fit with out any mods. I cant imagine the 67 barracudas having that much of a different wheel tub.

yep Nittos 275/50/17 went with that size because I had several people tell me that tire size would fit with out any mods. I cant imagine the 67 barracudas having that much of a different wheel tub.
well dang...no matter what you do for suspension, the wheel wells are too small

yea I know looks like ill have to find some sort of dolly & pay someone big bucks to move the tubs it sucks that's something ive done my self before but I just don't have the room to do it

-
Back