Bolt on Disk brake conversion for 66 Valiant

-
Many new cars, especially high performance ones, use aluminum hubs. Heck a lot of them use cast aluminum hubs and even cast aluminum control arms. How it holds up is simply a matter of design.

The DoctorDiff 13” cobra style brake kit I run on my Duster has billet aluminum hubs. Aluminum construction is usually stiffer and lighter than steel and cast iron.
My ford work truck has cast alum upper control arms

If you have BBP wheels already the best way to go is to use the factory 73+ disk brakes. You can buy everything you need from DoctorDiff, including the master cylinder, combination valve and any brake lines you might need.

10.95" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 1)

You get everything you need and replace the weaker 9" drum spindles with the improved later disk spindles. Not only that, but all the parts are Mopar and intended to work together. The Scarebird kit uses different makes/models of brake stuff together. Not saying it doesn't work, but, some of those parts were never designed to be used together. The 73+ mopar disks are factory designed, tested, and proven.

Sounds good and I like doing business with them anyway I will try to get them on the phone the reduced staff during this covid BS .

Doesn't surprise me a bit. I just don't like seeing aluminum mixed with steel and/or cast iron and then adding heat. Dissimilar metals don't usually like to play nicely together.

They're floating rotors anyway, with the rotors secured to the hubs by the lug nuts. All the 2 piece rotors in the fancy aftermarket kits like Baer, Wilwood etc are all cast iron rotors bolted directly to aluminum hubs, and those are fixed rotors.

My ford work truck has cast alum upper control arms

Exactly. From an engineering perspective an aluminum control arm is a more difficult part to design, especially the cast kind. Much larger lever arms, multiple fixed and pivoting points, etc. All kinds of modern vehicles use them though. Probably more use aluminum UCA's and hubs than not.

Sounds good and I like doing business with them anyway I will try to get them on the phone the reduced staff during this covid BS .

I know Cass was closed for the holidays. Not sure how much the "staff" thing effects him, I honestly don't think anyone other than Cass has answered the phone when I've called.

If you have BBP wheels already the best way to go is to use the factory 73+ disk brakes. You can buy everything you need from DoctorDiff, including the master cylinder, combination valve and any brake lines you might need.

10.95" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 1)

You get everything you need and replace the weaker 9" drum spindles with the improved later disk spindles. Not only that, but all the parts are Mopar and intended to work together. The Scarebird kit uses different makes/models of brake stuff together. Not saying it doesn't work, but, some of those parts were never designed to be used together. The 73+ mopar disks are factory designed, tested, and proven.
I looked at specs it has 67 to 7? A body mine is a 66 Maybe stuff till fits ?

I looked at specs it has 67 to 7? A body mine is a 66 Maybe stuff till fits ?

Yes, it'll fit. Lots of the earlier cars have been converted to 73+ disks. Cass (DoctorDiff) would be the guy to ask about any different parts you need though.

They're floating rotors anyway, with the rotors secured to the hubs by the lug nuts. All the 2 piece rotors in the fancy aftermarket kits like Baer, Wilwood etc are all cast iron rotors bolted directly to aluminum hubs, and those are fixed rotors.

Exactly. From an engineering perspective an aluminum control arm is a more difficult part to design, especially the cast kind. Much larger lever arms, multiple fixed and pivoting points, etc. All kinds of modern vehicles use them though. Probably more use aluminum UCA's and hubs than not.

I know Cass was closed for the holidays. Not sure how much the "staff" thing effects him, I honestly don't think anyone other than Cass has answered the phone when I've called.

I ordered a needed items for a 5.57 [4.89] carrier and could not get them on the phone but they had a message playing saying due to covid staff is limited , regardless I ordered on line and as always parts showed up quickly they are a good company.

-
Back