Borgeson steering box - does the column need to be cut?

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I bought this kit from Jegs a while back and just did a test fit. This is a 68 Barracuda with a power steering floor shift column.

The column installs into the coupler without the shaft needing to be cut but I always thought they needed to be cut with these kits. I think I did a no no and tapped on the steering wheel end of the steering column shaft to get it to go far enough into the coupler and that's when I realized that doing that can collapse the shaft.

Wondering if the column fits because I collapsed the shaft or if factory PS columns are supposed to be able to fit the Borgeson coupler/box without needing trimming? Thanks.

You need to test fit it to find out.

I had to cut my 66’ Barracuda and use their u joint kit. Worked better than I expected. Never realized how clunky the factory joint is let alone how big the whole thing is till I swapped it over.

You need to test fit it to find out.

I had to cut my 66’ Barracuda and use their u joint kit. Worked better than I expected. Never realized how clunky the factory joint is let alone how big the whole thing is till I swapped it over.

I did a test fit and it fits but I'm wondering if it fits because I accidentally collapsed the column shaft or if it fits because power steering columns are supposed to fit with no trimming?

Wound up having to cut 1/2" off the end of the shaft.

Took an hour to drill the 3 holes required for the coupler attachment. I had to use the least amount of pressure as possible with plenty of cutting fluid to keep the bits from breaking.

Just assisted my buddy with a 72 Scamp with a 68 340 w/aftermarket exh manifolds. We were replacing a factory power steering box. I was surprised it was unnecessary to cut the factory steering shaft. We did unbolt the steering column and move back a few inches to gain room to install the Borgeson coupler. We used a 12" 3/16 drill bit to drill the holes in the shaft for the pins. The car has power disc brakes and the booster did not allow the use of the Borgeson-provided drill bit.

I installed the Borgeson U joint in my '67 dart, didn't need to cut the shaft, it fit perfectly.

-
Back