Bottom End Shocker Build

-
The Speedmaster intake has its place but it’s not on a performance build. It seems when they copied an intake they copied the LD4B instead of an LD340. The runners sizing is small.

the guys who did the 477 horse 318 for Enginemasters didnt think so.
They ran the crosswinds air gap knockoff on it. Made that power at just over 10 to 1 compression with a 247@50 solid cam.
I ran that motor( with a good bit smaller cam) in a Duster i had. Mid 11’s at 3400 pounds, flat hood, stock fan and WP.
5/16 stock fuel line and tank

Iron-Headed Mopar 318 Magnum Engine- Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

They ran the crosswinds air gap knockoff on it. Made that power at just over 10 to 1 compression with a 247@50 solid cam.
I ran that motor( with a good bit smaller cam) in a Duster i had. Mid 11’s at 3400 pounds, flat hood, stock fan and WP.

Is the crosswind and the Speedmaster the same intake

I’m trying for 100hp more so I really hope I can get a real air gap….don’t want to put a bunch of time into porting a Chinese intake

The Speedmaster intake has its place but it’s not on a performance build. It seems when they copied an intake they copied the LD4B instead of an LD340. The runners sizing is small.
Have you ever flowed or used the LD340 intake?

Have your reworked Shocker heads flowed with that LD340 on it.
I think that’ll tell you what you need to know.

Have you ever flowed or used the LD340 intake?

Yes I flowed and ported one for a friend with the heads I’m running now. I made a post with all the info years ago and posted it on Moparts. Then years later reshared it on here. Do a search and it should come up. If not let me know and when I’m in the house I’ll try to find it on my desktop.

Well so far I have every intake to choose … a performer …LD 340 and crosswinds… but no Eddie air gap… how old does this LD look…

7B13A387-4A63-46D6-9E0D-2DE8D9009A9C.jpeg

I have a Victor 340 intake on my stock stroke 360 and it has very good low end. 3.91's out back help too but it is just as good if not better than the airgap I had.

I have a Victor 340 intake on my stock stroke 360 and it has very good low end. 3.91's out back help too but it is just as good if not better than the airgap I had.
Sounds interesting what you’re saying about the Victor vs. the AirGap but do you happen to have any time slips for comparison? 60’, 330’ etc numbers? When you say “better”, is that singularly (or any combination of) down low, mid, up top? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Well the "dream" of using the air gap intake has now died...after months of looking for intakes my local machine shop called to say that a super victory came available at one of their Canadian suppliers...so I ordered it...$650 plus tax

And now that I have been forced into using a single plane intake over the air gap I will try for 600hp on 91 pump gas on the dyno…

My buddy called me every other day while porting a super Victor for a customer. Lol. Man he was pissed.

Last edited:
How about a rundown of the proposed 600hp combo.
Well the combo won’t change much besides more cam duration to go with the new intake… the heads are getting some more port work…trying to get the flowing over 300cfm by 500…currently they are falling in the toilet just past 400 and pick up again…the intake port is now around 196cc

Help a guy out so I don’t have to comb thru 7 pages of posts......

CR?
Cam type?
Header size?
Peak hp rpm target?
Carb or EFI?

What is the peak flow currently?
Try flowing the head with the new intake on it....... it might help with the dip in flow.

So far the parts I have are as follows…340 block, 4 inch crank, the piston rod combo will get picked after the heads are done, should end up around 10.5-11 compression and will probably shoot for 6000rpm peak power…cam will be a custom grind based off where the heads/intake/compression ends up…

The 10.5 cr seems low for a cam large enough for 600hp.
Might take a bit more squeeze…when the heads and intake are done I will come up with a piston cam combo that may make the number…

-
Back