Bought another one...... this ones a '85

-
Ok.... LOL... so I've taken it to work a couple of times (50 mile round trip) and charging has been great…….. UNTIL last night. About half way home it discharged so bad that I had no headlights by the time I got home. Pulled everything from the battery in 12 minutes.... LOL Dead !!!

So, this morning, I charged the battery, then started it, and it's 14.1 and headlights and all are nice and bright... the gremlin struck again... :D
I've ordered an alternator from NAPA and having it shipped to my house. But this morning I took the alternator off "just to have a peek". I discovered a brush spring cocked and the terminal bolt loose. I've taken that brush out, put the spring in place and tightened it. Not sure if this was the problem or not, but I think I'll wait for the new one to show up and I'll try that one.

DSCN1338.JPG

DSCN1339.JPG

What is your Ram Charger used in the Twilight Zone series?
I don't know, but they were happy to deliver it and "get out of Dodge" :D

What do you think of that spring and loose terminal in the picture above?? Think that would cause it to pull everything from the battery and then charge normal the next day??

Was the bolt touching the brush at times or was the spring touching the housing?

Hey look a grd stud.

Last edited:
Was the bolt touching the brush at times or was the spring touching the housing?

Hey look a grd stud.
everything else is tight. the spring was most likely touching the housing. I'm sure there was movement as the terminal post was loose. I could wiggle it, kind of floppy. I'd say that bolt was about a full turn and a half loose.

Set the brush in place, tighten it and try it. That may be why it freeked out when you switched the wires around the other day.

Set the brush in place, tighten it and try it. That may be why it freeked out when you switched the wires around the other day.
I set the brush and spring in place and tightened it. I didn't try it because I got the one that should show up today and I wanted to just start with that one.

Here is the funny thing, this one is an ultima, most likely from O'reilly's. I went to O'reillys on Sunday to get a new one and the Ultima they had on the shelf wouldn't turn. I opened the box and told them "this is no good". LOL... I think if my NAPA one shows up today, I'll put it on tomorrow and we'll see.

BTW is there a plastic washer under the head of the mounting bolt? The bolt is isolated from the brush by the brush holder and the plastic washer.

BTW is there a plastic washer under the head of the mounting bolt? The bolt is isolated from the brush by the brush holder and the plastic washer.
no washer, just a piece of one that fell off...…. I have a junk alternator I can try to rob that washer from.

New alternator hasn't showed up yet, so I put the old one back on. Spring and brush in proper place, terminal tight with plastic washer under the bolt from an old alternator I had laying around. Started it and let it run half hour. Charged perfect, even with the fan on high, headlights on and all it ran 13.7. Do I trust it???? LOL.....

And then, my brake lights and blinkers started playing games. I messed around with some wires under the dash (found 4 wires spliced together going into a terminal...LOL) and now I have blinkers and 1 brake light (always had 2 brake lights before ???:realcrazy:)

Hmmmm…….. love an electrical adventure … LOL.. :BangHead:

My 81 Big Horn one ton club cab. It has a 400 bb in it at the moment. It has a electrical problem with the blow motor but all the lights work.

20190108_162910.jpg

20190108_162922.jpg

Last edited:
New alternator hasn't showed up yet, so I put the old one back on. Spring and brush in proper place, terminal tight with plastic washer under the bolt from an old alternator I had laying around. Started it and let it run half hour. Charged perfect, even with the fan on high, headlights on and all it ran 13.7. Do I trust it???? LOL.....

And then, my brake lights and blinkers started playing games. I messed around with some wires under the dash (found 4 wires spliced together going into a terminal...LOL) and now I have blinkers and 1 brake light (always had 2 brake lights before ???:realcrazy:)

Hmmmm…….. love an electrical adventure … LOL.. :BangHead:
The blinker and the brake light is the same circuit.
Do you have both rear running lights?

Where is the daily report? Is it working?
LOL.....
Took it to work yesterday. Everything decided to work great. Yesterday was a great day :) Drove it this morning to drag a Neon out of the way that won't come out of park.

P.S. - There is something that has amazed me. A few days ago I had about 1/4 tank. I put 9 gallons in it. I since have put 135 miles on it, idled it for a 1/2 hour as I monitored the charging system after re-installing the alternator, and in this cold weather I still have at least as much gas (if not more by the gage)....... LOL... looks to definitely be doing better than our '77 :D

Is this where the chat is for the summer race . Are you building tow vehicles for if you breakdown

Whatever happened with that jpar fella, is he and YR out snowmobiling or planning their next race.

Is this where the chat is for the summer race . Are you building tow vehicles for if you breakdown

I've not towed a car to the drag way in about 20 years. Probably not a bad idea, though :)

Your 77 is a 360 two barrel?
'77 is a 360, 600 eddy, dual exhaust. '85 is a 318, 750 Holley, single exhaust that splits at the muffler into duals out the back

-
Back