Bought me a 67 Fastback BCUDA

-

boosted

Life Needs Air
Reaction score
Well I finally got my long back BCUDA that I always wanted. I want to put a 5.7 in it with a carb and I have to upgrade the cam of course. I do not care about the vvt stuff and want it goine. Any suggestions on what year motor to look for and the best place for the cam? The car is back halfed and I would like for it to hit pretty hard and have the OG hemi look with coil pack relocations.

View attachment 1715164605 View attachment 1715164604 I did a whipple charger 6.1,RMS front and rear suspension,727 with gear vendors o.d.,etc.
6.1's are getting hard to find...maybe 392 or hellcat crate? Unless you're really committed to the 5.7,these other engines seem to have more aftermarket parts available. At least,that's been my experience.

Inertia motor sports has some decent cam selections. They have some grinds for the 5.7 that can give it a very healthy old school lope to it.

We can close this post.. I have decided to go old school with a stroker small block and some NOS..... Thank you all for the replies.

We can close this post.. I have decided to go old school with a stroker small block and some NOS..... Thank you all for the replies.
but why? what scared you off? i am curious is all? you can certainly get that old school look with old school performance and modern mpg to boot with some loping camshafts and winter drivability.

Well cost to cost I can build a good stroker small block for less. This is not a daily driver and only a fun play toy so mpg is not a big deal.

So, other than looking like an "old school hemi", what are your expectations from ANY engine you would instal? Pump gas? 10 sec., 9 sec., 8 sec.,? Big block, big block stroker, small block, small block stroker, gen 2 hemi, gen 3 hemi? WHAT?

Radical street car. I really do not care about how fast it really is but it has to have some backbone for sure. I would love to do an 03-05 hemi as I can get them complete for 500... But condition unknown. Better ones are more. I already have a 360 and 904. If I did the hemi it would probably take a good bit more money and that adds time. These are supposedly from a running truck that was wrecked. I want a nasty sounding cam and it be carb. Which is more cost effective. I would build a stroker on the small block and not on the hemi.

Do some research. Cylinder head airflow makes horsepower. Just compare any small block head, and I mean ANY small block cylinder head, to the gen 3 for flow numbers. It's not even close. The early gen 3 is not without its faults. A stock-ish short block is about the same money. But, to put a 280 to over 300- ish intake airflow number on a small block, let alone a FACTORY small block head, good luck. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination on the gen 3's, but, I have some. I have run one 3 years bracket racing. Damn reliable engine. If only the driver were as good as the engine.......

Well the small block would have to have a set of heads on it. Sitting back and thinking about this again it may be worth the work to do the hemi....

Well the small block would have to have a set of heads on it. Sitting back and thinking about this again it may be worth the work to do the hemi....

" IF" , I were going to go to the , (and I`m not) , I go w/ the biggest one I could get !! All the 5.7`s I`ve driven, or seen on the dragstrip, just aint that impressive to me. But I regress, I had two 426 hemis , one a streeter and one a racecar.---------go big or go home ?????????

" IF" , I were going to go to the , (and I`m not) , I go w/ the biggest one I could get !! All the 5.7`s I`ve driven, or seen on the dragstrip, just aint that impressive to me. But I regress, I had two 426 hemis , one a streeter and one a racecar.---------go big or go home ?????????

where the gen3s perhaps still in the 4500lb+ factory vehicles they came in? remove the seriously robust weight and install in a 1500lbs lighter a body. it is gonna move out. fyi a dragster turn key weights 1500lbs. so take a dragsters weight off a newer gen mopar vehicle. that is how much them sum beeches weight. 3 tons of train stopping fun.

there isnt a small block out there that can touch a gen3 hemi head potential without spending on expensive heads to compete. look at my recent post about my new big gas heads flow numbers after a simple valve job. 354@.700 lift. stock head not a misprint. a stock head. that is just short of a all out full ported nascar p8 setup. think about that.

where the gen3s perhaps still in the 4500lb+ factory vehicles they came in? remove the seriously robust weight and install in a 1500lbs lighter a body. it is gonna move out. fyi a dragster turn key weights 1500lbs. so take a dragsters weight off a newer gen mopar vehicle. that is how much them sum beeches weight. 3 tons of train stopping fun.
MY 66 BELVEDERE STARTED LIFE AT 3900 SOMETHING AFTER WE PUT THE 426AND 727 IN IT. ALMOST NEVER GOT IT DOWN TO WHAT NHRA LEGAL WEIGHT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ??????

How much money you got it that almighty 426 Hemi? I respect the legend, but, it's old news. Hard to find parts for and when you do, you remortgage a frickin house to do it!! The gen 3 is a proven stable platform that is easliy modified to anyones personal tastes. To the OP, check out the gen 3 quarter stats sticky at the beginning of the new hemi swap section. Lots of good builds there.

Well my car is far from heavy.. I guess I am going to pull the trigger and grab that 05 5.7 and see what I can do.. not really worried about the 1/4 mile times. Just want the old hemi look with a nasty camshaft for local cruising.. Here is my car being delivered on Tuesday.
00c0c_dWLA7rx1ZPG_1200x900.jpg

Is that coming from Minnesota? Looks like one I saw for sale on Craigslist up here. Looks like a well built car. Gonna have some fun with that!

This a 6.1 gen 3 hemi. Looks a lot like a gen 2 to me. Forget the LS. The hemi is a better motor.
6.1 Hemi.jpg

-
Back