BOY O BOY WAS I WRONG LOL

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
The demon i did body & paint on is done. The owner asked me if wanted to clean,paint & rebuild the front & rear suspension. Sure i said. I also talked him into changing it over to big bolt pattern. Thats with all new brakes, axles ect. I got $1,200 from him thinking that should cover all parts & some labor. Boy o boy was i wrong. Its been awhile since i bought parts. Man i cant believe the prices on stuff & im not done with buying parts. I hate to do it but im going to have to ask for more money. It wouldnt surprise me if i get that amount of money just in parts.

I never had such a hard time getting front rotors a the local parts store. lol

I never had such a hard time getting front rotors a the local parts store. lol
I recently got a car running that had been off the road for 12+ years.. Amongst the parts I needed was a master cylinder... Picked one up at Summit, Raybestos, it wouldn't bench bleed... So I got another but since Summitwas gonna take a few days I got one from O'Rielly's.. They said they could have it by 4PM.. Took two days... It bench bled okay but once installed wouldn't move fluid out to the front wheels... O'Rielly's said they would have another the next day, trust me... Lets just say I have trust issues... I also ordered one through Amazon.... Four days later neither had shown up... I took the Raybestos M/C I'd gotten from Summit apart & found the residual pressure valve in backwards... Bolted it on the car & had fluid at all four wheels.. But the pedal would slowly sink & the brake warning light would come on... Took it back apart & discovered that one of the piston seals was installed backwards.. Fixed that & the brakes work great.... I still haven't received a M/C from O'Rielly's or Amazon.. I also haven't cancelled either order but I probably should....

I think a lot of it is that people that knew what was going on have switched careers.

I'm not sure if this is a strictly USA phenomenon or not.

I think a lot of it is that people that knew what was going on have switched careers.

I'm not sure if this is a strictly USA phenomenon or not.
Well, it's an Absolute Fact that all the Old Timers, and probably the younger ones they taught, that knew Quality, have moved on. MOST all aftermarket stuff is just Junk. And that Sucks.

Don't be afraid to ask for more money in this hobby so long as the work is done right and you follow through with the time commitments. Because everything now digs into your pocket. If you have a good relationship with the owner they will completely understand....

However if there is a riff then you missed your mark and adjust for the next job and the owner of the Demon needs to understand that prices are changing daily on everything or so it seems and his Demon project is no different....

JW

Don't be afraid to ask for more money in this hobby so long as the work is done right and you follow through with the time commitments. Because everything now digs into your pocket. If you have a good relationship with the owner they will completely understand....

However if there is a riff then you missed your mark and adjust for the next job and the owner of the Demon needs to understand that prices are changing daily on everything or so it seems and his Demon project is no different....

JW
O im sure he will understand. He doesnt mind spending the money as long as its nice & you dont cut corners. He knows my work. I did work on his dads 68 hemi coronet. Its just the idea.

I'm painting my project car. Supplies are double from my Barracuda paint job of six years ago. Vendor tries to convince me to buy cheaper paint but I have to stay with what I know works. Painful in retirement but I will find a way to paint the car my way.

cheap parts/availability ????!!!!!! stick to ford/Chevy:rofl:

A friend of mine started a business building cars about 20 years ago. He was always broke because he was using his own money on customer cars.He was always asking for a payment to keep going but many didn't pay for several months and he had to let the car sit. That only caused space problems. Finally he now asks for $25K up front.Don't have it ? Go somewhere else. If agreed, a monthly statement will be sent( after a total estimate is also agreed upon) Keeping the $25K as down payment till the end and will be deducted from the final figure.Now he is doing daily work from the $100's to well over $100,000.Small jobs to major high end customs.
He so didn't want to ask in the beginning but now has a good business and customer base.

I've been hoarding for years now. As far as value, a lot of stuff I bought 10 yrs ago has doubled, from 20 ys ago, all have doubled or tripled !

-
Back