BP 408 Oil Leak

-

E Satterfield

Reaction score
Hello. Trying to figure out an oil leak on our new crate engine. I have oil dripping off of the filter and onto the header
I’ve never experienced a bad filter gasket in my life but thought perhaps it was due to happen so I replaced the K&N HP-2004 with a Napa Gold 1068. Still leaking.
Either I’m using the incorrect filters? Or the filter plate in block is leaking which brings me to my second question
Please excuse my ignorance but is this an LA or Magnum block? It has a 6 hole filter adapter and from what I’ve read here on the forum the Magnum 6 hole and LA style 4 hole are not compatible and if incorrect would it leak or just not assemble?
Are the filter plate to block gaskets the same? I’m using the straight adapter not the 90 degree with short filter.

Thanks to all.

The later small blocks the filter adapter surfaces are different. Put a small straight edge across the inner and outer gasket surfaces. You'll find that one is even and the other is offset. When I built my R3 block I had to get one for a new magnum. But the crate motor we did I used the early style. So to answer your question they are different. You need to set your adapter on a table and see if yours is offset or not. Then check the block. I fought the same thing.

Thank you. The problem is i can barely get to the adapter recess in the block to remove the old gasket. The header takes up about all the working space. Didn’t plan on doing this Sh$@ on a new engine

Photos of adapter plate

9FBCFBB0-9BB4-4832-9311-C8E94FCFBC40.jpeg

7B3767B5-C845-4BF8-B3DF-4BC8037D9DBE.jpeg

If I can confirm this is an LA block. I’m considering the Canton Racing adapter. I really don’t want to do this job over.

Good Morning,

sorry to hear, and PM sent. happy to help

Thanks for the reply’s and the link
I’m a complete idiot when it comes to Mopar other than I discovered that I like them after 40 years of working on Chevys. The block has both mounting styles ( front ears and side bosses).
I didn’t know if it was possible to even use the magnum style blocks in these builds because of internal/external differences.
So I was thinking it would be an obvious yes it’s a magnum style block and I have the proper adapter plate or No they can’t use magnum blocks for the builds because of various reasons and somehow that filter plate got installed it shouldn’t have.
Again another case of my ignorance. I’ll check for casting number.
I have to commend Johnny Mac on his attention to things pertaining to Blueprint engines. Not sure if he’s a partner in the company or merely an employee? But either or certainly an asset
Thanks again. Eric.

Thanks for the reply’s and the link
I’m a complete idiot when it comes to Mopar other than I discovered that I like them after 40 years of working on Chevys. The block has both mounting styles ( front ears and side bosses).
I didn’t know if it was possible to even use the magnum style blocks in these builds because of internal/external differences.
So I was thinking it would be an obvious yes it’s a magnum style block and I have the proper adapter plate or No they can’t use magnum blocks for the builds because of various reasons and somehow that filter plate got installed it shouldn’t have.
Again another case of my ignorance. I’ll check for casting number.
I have to commend Johnny Mac on his attention to things pertaining to Blueprint engines. Not sure if he’s a partner in the company or merely an employee? But either or certainly an asset
Thanks again. Eric.
Appreciate that! Like I said it'd be a real Longshot we still had an LA block floating around, but we'll get to the bottom of it. Since that's the older designed flat tappet engine, it's not impossible. But probably just a bad gasket seal. Will look for your PM

Thank you. The problem is i can barely get to the adapter recess in the block to remove the old gasket. The header takes up about all the working space. Didn’t plan on doing this Sh$@ on a new engine
I feel your pain my friend. Headers are nice BUT can be and are a pain in the a**. Wait until you have to remove your starter... grrrrr.

you would think this would of been spotted and fixed during the dyno testing .

For wondering minds, I encountered this myself years ago. Worked with OP, and much like an old engine of mine, gasket was replaced, and reinstalled with a small film of non hardening gasket maker. Fixed the leak up and all is well. He is good to go several weeks later. The bp408 is one of the few engines we do that still uses a seasoned block, so probably just a small imperfection on the plate or block. He's been driving it a few weeks and all is good!

Yes. I replaced the gasket and all is good. It’s been raining here a lot but the last few days it had stopped so I’ve been able to drive the car and all is good. No other issues. Dealing with aged parents and other life stuff has cut into my car time. Thanks everyone for your help . Honest statement I would have NO problem purchasing another engine from Blueprint it’s rare someone these days a representative from any company trying to offer personal assistance with an issue be it a large or small priced item and Johnny goes beyond that. Especially to a dummy to Mopars like me. Eric.

Last edited:
-
Back