Braided Brake lines

-

OCswinger

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone out here has used the braided brake lines from the MC to calipers. Yes, I am aware it shows it being for Off Road Use Only. I'm just trying to see if anyone has tried it and if so, what were the concerns.

-Jon

Basically it is not DOT legal.

That being said.....
I am going to use it on my '63 Valiant.
We ( l ) have been using it on circle track cars for years. Stops a 3400 lb car at Martinsville or Tallatona just fine.
To my knowledge, no circle track car / race car above the street stock division uses ( or should not) use rubber hose.

My ( your?) Concern would be if it were " legal) to run in your state or even if you have state inspection.

Only other concern is that just as with rubber flex hose, you should keep it as short as possible.
Stainless braided / Teflon hose WILL and DOES expand to some degree under pressure resulting in ( minimal) pressure loss / increased pedal travel.

My final word is - go ahead and use it. Just be knowledgeable where and how you use it.

Basically it is not DOT legal.

That being said.....
I am going to use it on my '63 Valiant.
We ( l ) have been using it on circle track cars for years. Stops a 3400 lb car at Martinsville or Tallatona just fine.
To my knowledge, no circle track car / race car above the street stock division uses ( or should not) use rubber hose.

My ( your?) Concern would be if it were " legal) to run in your state or even if you have state inspection.

Only other concern is that just as with rubber flex hose, you should keep it as short as possible.
Stainless braided / Teflon hose WILL and DOES expand to some degree under pressure resulting in ( minimal) pressure loss / increased pedal travel.

My final word is - go ahead and use it. Just be knowledgeable where and how you use it.
Thank you for the reply. I am currently running NiCop and I saw the braided stuff as I was looking through a Summit catalog and I am not as snooped up as some people. I have seen guys from work run it in their Jeeps but then again it ws used for "Off Roading".
Again, thanks for the education.

Thank you for the reply. I am currently running NiCop and I saw the braided stuff as I was looking through a Summit catalog and I am not as snooped up as some people. I have seen guys from work run it in their Jeeps but then again it ws used for "Off Roading".
Again, thanks for the education.

No problem. Just remember most ( if not all) braided line / stainless / Teflon. AN line is 37 degree flair at the fitting.
Automotive is 45 degree.
Not exactly 100% comparable but will work with " just the right amount" of pressure applied on the wrench when tightening.
Experience and a few cracked fittings and fu**ed up flairs will teach you.

Just remember- not exactly a pure "bolt on" but it will work.

Expect a leak or two at first but it will work.

as explained to me by the owner of a place that plumbs race cars, the only reasons most of them are not DOT legal is
1: they have no place to print the DOT code on them. solved by some higher end ones by installing a band with the number a la tagging a birds leg
2: they have not passed a "whip test" 49 CFR § 571.106 - Standard No. 106; Brake hoses. again, the high end ones apparently have a lab do the test.
i've run shop built ones on the street for ~30 years without the DOT knowing about it, no problem

There is no reason to use the wrong flares especially on brake lines.
There are adapters which will seal the lines properly.
There must be enough length so the tightest curve is above the minimum radius allowed by the manufacturer. Otherwise it will kink and eventual fail.
Just because it is an AN fitting or hose does not mean it meets aircraft specs. At one time, yes, but those days are long gone.
DOT approved braided lines - there were some available - don't know if they still are
Most use of braided brake hose is for road racing and similar as it doesn't expand as much under pressure which translates to slight improvement in pedal feel- which can get critical especial late in a race.

In my bracket car, I ran the pre assembled, allstar brand, black, ptfe, braided, with nylon coating. The ease of install and lines are MINT. I will be using them again. Beats flaring lines 100%.. no reason to complicate it, you can get simple adaptor fittings to go to AN right from the mc, and not have to make an single flare. Just tighten them up like you were running fuel lines. Car stops great. Great pedal feel. My entire front of the car doesnt have a single hardline and its one of the best cleanup upgrades I made.

Wondering if anyone out here has used the braided brake lines from the MC to calipers. Yes, I am aware it shows it being for Off Road Use Only. I'm just trying to see if anyone has tried it and if so, what were the concerns.

-Jon
Your post says from MC to calipers. Is that what you really meant? It is a really bad idea to plumb the entire car with braided hose. You should use hard line from the MC to the tabs on the frame rails and then use short lengths of flex hose to connect to the hard line. Braided lines are fine for the short lengths. Buy high quality brake lines with the nylon covers and you'll be fine.

Your post says from MC to calipers. Is that what you really meant? It is a really bad idea to plumb the entire car with braided hose. You should use hard line from the MC to the tabs on the frame rails and then use short lengths of flex hose to connect to the hard line. Braided lines are fine for the short lengths. Buy high quality brake lines with the nylon covers and you'll be fine.
No, sorry, it's a MC to portioning valves to appropriate calipers up front. NiCop from MC to rear is what is going to be used.

Do not use braided lines on your street car . The exception would be flex lines "whips" from the body to the calipers . Braided lines balloon after time and won't transfer the pressure needed to whoa the car down . Racing is different . Usually after an off road race the lines are replaced . Same with a circle burner . Drag cars use steel or stainless with "whips from body to calipers . Not on a street car , disaster will follow .

in ~2000, I installed new-to-the-market braided lines with factory ends on them; a direct replacement, onto my KelseyHayes calipers. That was a long time ago and over 125,000 miles since,on my streeter. Not a lick of trouble, and a great-feeling pedal. DOT-5 fluid

Do not use braided lines on your street car . The exception would be flex lines "whips" from the body to the calipers . Braided lines balloon after time and won't transfer the pressure needed to whoa the car down . Racing is different . Usually after an off road race the lines are replaced . Same with a circle burner . Drag cars use steel or stainless with "whips from body to calipers . Not on a street car , disaster will follow .

Uuuuuhhhhhhh......yeah. Ok.
Believe what you want.
Lol.

-
Back