Brake Calipers too snug (Pirate Jack A body disc brake kit)

-

BenOwen

Reaction score
I am having an issue with my brake caliper not wanting to fit on my disc rotor.
A disc brake caliper tool doesn't seem to compress it in any for more space.
I managed to get one brake on the passenger side but the brakes are so snug I can barely turn the rotor; the driver side dust boot tore in my attempt and I had to order a replacement.

Is there something I am blindly missing?

0-1.jpeg

0.jpeg

The inside pad appears to be backwards, the steel backing looks to be against the rotor .
I just took a quick photo and didn't notice that.. When I attempt to install it both pads are facing the rotor.

Try clamping the piston side in a vice, I have a large pair of water pump pliers I use to squeeze the pads against their stop, piston all the way in.
You could try without the anti squeel plates for initial setup to be installed after pads are seated.
Good luck .

In the first photo, the top (outer) pad doesn't look like it's fully seated against the caliper. There should be no gap between the backing plate and the caliper casting.

In the first photo, the top (outer) pad doesn't look like it's fully seated against the caliper. There should be no gap between the backing plate and the caliper casting.
NoCar,
When I go to install it I make sure it is seated and there is no gap on the outer pad . As of now, there is no room for adjustment. I need to try the suggests people have given me to compress the piston
The photo was just an attempt to show the width between the pads and what type of caliper I have in the kit.

Sometimes the pads are just too thick, if your also going to be using new rotors.
If that's the case, get yourself a sheet of 80 grit sandpaper, on a flat surface, and sand down the pad thickness, until it fits.
Easy, peasy.

Last edited:
Wrong pads the outside pad doesn't look too small

You made the same mistake I made and bought the cheap chinese junk from Pirate Jack like I did. I wound up replacing the brake pads, calipers and now the master cylinder. The master cylinder never had a groove machined for a snap ring to hold the piston in the bore and this one worked its way out and started leaking. Anyone thinking about buying one of these kits, do yourself a massive solid and don't buy it! They are junk. The only parts that I haven't had issues with are the spindles and rotors.

To update, I sanded the inner brake pad. I measured them and found almost 2mm difference in thickness.
I know have a good fit and the rotor can rotate.

To update, I sanded the inner brake pad. I measured them and found almost 2mm difference in thickness.
I know have a good fit and the rotor can rotate.
See, that wasn't hard to do. :thumbsup:

No need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

-
Back