Brake conundrum

-
Hardly. With brakes, anything I've "learned" has been through repetition. I've done it so much, it's pathetic. Even a chimp can learn that way. lol
Well, I've done ALOT of Framing, Drywall, Millwork, Paint, Soffit and Fascia. Even Roofing
(metal, tar, shingles) I already doubt you learned anything by repetitively doing brakes.... but I do know this! The key to repetition is doing the same thing every time to get the same results at the end, however working on different cars and trucks in this and that it's kind of like doing remodeling. Everything's the same but everything is different you got to HAVE the same results at the end, but the problems you encounter in the ways that you go around them deal with them and how you get to the end is what gives you the experience from all that repetition! I KNOW YOU'RE A BADASS MECHANIC, DUDE!!!!!!! I'd lay my word on it. And I've Never Worked with You....

I like learning new things but it does surprise me to learn that a method that has worked for years is now somehow supposed to be wrong.
How did I avoid damage all these years by bleeding every power brake car and truck with the engine running?
I'll admit that there may be some validity to the claim ( Engine off for bleeding power brake cars) but how did I dodge bullets for almost 40 years? Seriously...Nobody can be that lucky.
In construction, I've butted heads with stubborn old timers that claim I've always done it this way.
It can be easy to hide substandard framing under stucco and drywall but automotive work is far more precise.
I've owned something like 66 cars and trucks in my 57 years. I've done countless brake jobs, mostly on power brake models.
How is it that I have never damaged a brake booster by bleeding the system with the engine running?

On one of my first jobs my job was to go through, and cut out, replace ,or sister up any slightly warped framing materials...on New Work.... so if the framing screwed up dude all that's going to do is bow your drywall up and then the finisher is going to be pissed off, or he's going to leave a **** job, I finished drywall for many many years, as well as stucco. If you're framing's all jacked up just because it gets a piece of drywall and some mud or some labs and mud doesn't mean we can make it super straight and beautiful man we can but that's extra work, love, and labor! Don't think I'm knocking you a bit but just because someone says they've been doing it for a long time and they leave a bunch of crooked crap in the wall? I'm not sure I agree with that cuz, it's not how I was brought into the trades... a grumpy better old man I that taught me they wanted me to do the crap right! Lol like I said if you read my above post first time I ever did it on power brakes I did it with it running I never had an issue anyway we don't need any Warfare here love all you guys man peace and God bless

I do not see any problem bleeding boosted brakes with the engine running other than the safety aspect. If there is a problem, exactly what is it? Or was it just in a service manual? I can tell you this: some car makers say bleed the longest brake lines first, others say bleed the shortest first...

I like learning new things but it does surprise me to learn that a method that has worked for years is now somehow supposed to be wrong.
How did I avoid damage all these years by bleeding every power brake car and truck with the engine running?
I'll admit that there may be some validity to the claim ( Engine off for bleeding power brake cars) but how did I dodge bullets for almost 40 years? Seriously...Nobody can be that lucky.
In construction, I've butted heads with stubborn old timers that claim I've always done it this way.
It can be easy to hide substandard framing under stucco and drywall but automotive work is far more precise.
I've owned something like 66 cars and trucks in my 57 years. I've done countless brake jobs, mostly on power brake models.
How is it that I have never damaged a brake booster by bleeding the system with the engine running?
Nobody's knockin what you're doin. If you've had success with it, keep on goin.

Never knew this . But it never occurred to me to bleed the brakes on a running car ….just dumb luck I guess .

Never knew this . But it never occurred to me to bleed the brakes on a running car ….just dumb luck I guess .
It's very simple to prove what I'm saying. On a car with power brakes, you can just about force the pedal to the floor when it's running if you try hard enough. In that same way, the booster can act as a shock absorber to the master cylinder and cause it to not get a full stroke if the booster is energized. The best advice is to read the service manual. It outlines it pretty good.

One thing I've learned searching the internet......When there is somewhat equal representation, I pick the one that makes the most sense to me, because it probably doesn't matter. You should have seen the opinions on hardwood floor underlay. :)

One thing I've learned searching the internet......When there is somewhat equal representation, I pick the one that makes the most sense to me, because it probably doesn't matter. You should have seen the opinions on hardwood floor underlay. :)
You can actually use tar paper, under a Real Wood floor. vapor barrier... keeps humidity out

-
Back