Brake light help

-

6pakattack

Reaction score
My brake lights stay on if I release the pedal all the way ! On my '71 Duster there was a brake light switch that could be adjusted with a nut on the steering columb, but I can't find one ! My back doesn't like to cooperate with me getting under the dash, so any info would be greatly appreciated !

Most Mopars have have a brake switch that runs off the swing pedal. The switch has a small bracket attaching it to the column support that also makes it adjustable. It hurts my back too.

you can see it on both peddle assemblies in this picture. The bolt takes a 7/16 wrench loosen it and slide the bracket to adjust the switch.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

100_0014.JPG

The bracket is adjustable, but if replacing the switch I believe the "heavy duty" one has the back to back nuts and might be a little easier to adjust. Drops right in. My brake lights occasionally hung up because the bracket got bent when replacing the master cyclinder and the bracket appears to flex ever so slightly even after bending it back into position. Every time I thought I fixed it, I'd still come out occasionally to a dead battery. Finally installed a little light under the dash to monitior when they were coming on and off. I'd drive for an hour, think it was fixed, only to have it stick on when I got near the house.

-
Back