Brake lights and dome light fuse keeps blowing

-

Markzilla88

Reaction score
Hey all, this is a new problem for my car. My brake lights and dome light fuse keep blowing. It’s not an instantaneous thing, but I’ll get a couple miles and they’ll blow. Does anyone know of a common issue that may be causing this??
Only recent change I’ve made was I put an LED flasher unit in to eliminate hyper flash. I’ve had LED brake lights in the entire time I’ve owned the car with no issues other then hyperflash. It worked but now I’m wondering if it’s causing the fuse to blow.

I had the same issue but mine turned out to be the switch on the brake pedal.

Somehow the switch got bumped over just enough for it it short itself out. Unplugged the switch and replaced the fuse, moved the switch over a bit and problem solved.

I too am running LED Taillights bulbs and an LED flasher that was recommended by @slantsixdan

No more hyper flashing or any other issues.

Some times the tail light sockets can short monetarily if you hit a bump and then the short goes back away. Very frustrating to find. Pull one tail light socket out at a time and drive it. Make sure the bulb socket can’t touch ground. If it quits doing it, you have found the culprit.

Sometimes the best way to find these things is through the process of elimination.

Your dome light switches are alive all the time and when you open the door it grounds completing the circuit but first it must go through the headlight switch so that you can turn on the interior light via the headlight switch . The brake light switch has 2 wires , one comes from the directional in the steering column so if you step on the brake while the directional is on , it will cancel the brake light on that side . It also has to work normally when just stopping . A lot is going on here and a lot to think about . The steering column is a lot of electrical issues. IMO

Apologies, it’s a 72 Dodge Demon.
I had to leave it in the driveway but I’ll try to check it out later when I get home. I know sometimes things can just go bad and wear out, but the only thing I’ve messed with is the flasher unit. I haven’t touched anything electrical on the column, head light switch, or under the dash. But again, I do realize things can just go bad all the sudden in these cars

Take all the bulbs out and see if it blows the fuse. If it does not, replace them one by one until it does blow. There's the culprit circuit.

I'll second the tail light sockets shorting intermittently. A small piece of spring metal distorts and shorts.

First step if you don't have, is go to MyMopar and download the 72 service manual That one came from one of the guys right here. Get back into section 8 and look up what all that fuse feeds. Does it feed the cigarette lighter? Anyway, you have to check it all

-
Back