brake master cylinder mounting studs

-

RichardJ916

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install new master cylinder into my 1972 Duster and before removing the old master cylinder I noticed that one of the nuts that's hold the master cylinder to the fire wall is missing and also looks to be pretty short to even hold on to a nut in the first place, my question is if the stud needs to be replaced how hard is it to remove the stud protruding through the firewall. It seems like there are the same as the studs that hold your wheels lug nuts. I also need to know if I need to order new studs or can I go to any hardware and just order a bolt that's long enough to fit through firewall. I seen that ebay has a set for $30.00 seems kinda high just for needing one stud.

New Brake Master Cylinder Mounting Studs Hardware Dodge Plymouth Chrysler Mopar | eBay

What are your thoughts...

You need to remove the pedal assembly from the car to replace that stud
Kinda figured that you would, was hoping that you could hit the head of the bolt and then just press new one in place. Almost easier to cut bolt off, drill out hole and press fit new one in place.

Hey Richard, if you feel like a ride over to Clarkston I have a set of four new ones you can have for $20.00, if you want them shipped make it $24.00. I only have the studs though, you will have to use the old nuts or get new ones.
Bob

Hey Richard, if you feel like a ride over to Clarkston I have a set of four new ones you can have for $20.00, if you want them shipped make it $24.00. I only have the studs though, you will have to use the old nuts or get new ones.
Bob
Thanks Bob, do you think I will have to remove the whole pedal assembly to replace the one stud, maybe hit it from the firewall side and it will pop out.

That is defiantly would I would try first, I would think that by leaving the other three tight you should be able to pop the one out and replace it by it's self.

Before I buy them from you let me try and get the one out from the firewall side...I will keep you posted, I wont have time till the season is over and ready to replace the master cylinder, its fine with 3 nuts on there now, but will need to replace once the season is over.
Thanks for all your help 66cuda

I am getting ready to install new master cylinder into my 1972 Duster and before removing the old master cylinder I noticed that one of the nuts that's hold the master cylinder to the fire wall is missing and also looks to be pretty short to even hold on to a nut in the first place, my question is if the stud needs to be replaced how hard is it to remove the stud protruding through the firewall. It seems like there are the same as the studs that hold your wheels lug nuts. I also need to know if I need to order new studs or can I go to any hardware and just order a bolt that's long enough to fit through firewall. I seen that ebay has a set for $30.00 seems kinda high just for needing one stud.

New Brake Master Cylinder Mounting Studs Hardware Dodge Plymouth Chrysler Mopar | eBay

What are your thoughts...
A picture of what you have would be helpful.
They aren't particularly long studs...

Taking pictures of the studs that are installed right now is a little tuff, you can only see the flat back of the studs from the inside and on the outside you can only see the threads sticking through the fire wall. Now if you remove the whole brake pedal assembly then you can see the rest of the studs.

Taking pictures of the studs that are installed right now is a little tuff, you can only see the flat back of the studs from the inside and on the outside you can only see the threads sticking through the fire wall. Now if you remove the whole brake pedal assembly then you can see the rest of the studs.

Back side isn't the issue.
Easy enough to snap a pic of the studs...threaded end...as they are...in place.

I will try and tread a nut on the stud, all I know is the stud does not protrude through the fire wall like the other 3 do. If the nut will start I will put some lock tight on and leave it alone. I was only asking before I install new master cylinder, looks like they are all seated inside just fine. Its all most like the stud needs to be 1/4 - longer in order for the nut to look like other 3. Maybe the stud had trouble when the person I got the car from and never had a nut on it to start off. I will put a nut on it and try it ok.

Here's some pics out of a 72 Demon, if you try and knock the stud out in the car you'll kill it, metal to thin. Even if you do choose to remove it from firewall you'll have to work the bracket to get the studs out of the firewall it just ain't gonna pull out, for the nuts I'm using stainless plasta nuts. Mike

IMG_20180810_190614771.jpg

IMG_20180810_190636143.jpg

Some kind of a welding process done, they didn't want em coming out, I just tried wedging the bracket and spun a nut on stud and gave a few taps, no good and if you try and grind the head off the stud gonna have to be careful , bracket is thin metal. Mike

Thanks Mike, After looking at above and looking under the dash I have decide to leave it alone and just put the nut as far as it will go, Thanks for all the help.

Thanks Bob, do you think I will have to remove the whole pedal assembly to replace the one stud, maybe hit it from the firewall side and it will pop out.
You can have the whole assembly out in 15 or 20 minutes and do it right or beat your car with a hammer and possibly wreck something costing you way more time and money than that 15 or 20 minutes of work to do it right.But,the choice is yours ,it's your car. Good luck

You can have the whole assembly out in 15 or 20 minutes and do it right or beat your car with a hammer and possibly wreck something costing you way more time and money than that 15 or 20 minutes of work to do it right.But,the choice is yours ,it's your car. Good luck
I respect your comments, but the last message I left I stated that I am going to leave it alone and just put a nut on the stud. All is good here. And it would than take me hours after hours to replace the whole assembly, I just wanted a quick way to replace the one stud that is kinda short, like replaced a lug nut stud. Thanks for the offer of the new part, or knowing my luck receive one that is just like the one I all ready have.

-
Back