Brake options for 16” Cragars

-

John Collins

Reaction score
1973 Dodge Dart Sport. 360 with 3.91 suregrip.

I’ve been going through my car and just started rebuilding my front end and on inspection of my front disc brakes, the rotors and rubber lines are shot. I’m going to upgrade the rotors. Doctor Diff sells 11.75” rotors with calipers for $600. Will this setup be a good choice for a 400hp engine with 3.91 gears and on a budget. Are there any other better options of out there, in the same price range that are better quality?

Mopar 11.75" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 2)

1973 Dodge Dart Sport. 360 with 3.91 suregrip.

I’ve been going through my car and just started rebuilding my front end and on inspection of my front disc brakes, the rotors and rubber lines are shot. I’m going to upgrade the rotors. Doctor Diff sells 11.75” rotors with calipers for $600. Will this setup be a good choice for a 400hp engine with 3.91 gears and on a budget. Are there any other better options of out there, in the same price range that are better quality?

Mopar 11.75" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 2)
if you didn't want to drop that kind of coin, you could just snap on some stock 10.8 rotors and and fresh lines and call it done. if you wanted to upgrade to the 11.75's all you need is the caliper bracket and the rotors, which are stock.

except for the caliper brackets all of that is available at a local parts store or online for considerably less.

that will be plenty of brakes for that setup unless you're autox or road racing.

if you didn't want to drop that kind of coin, you could just snap on some stock 10.8 rotors and and fresh lines and call it done. if you wanted to upgrade to the 11.75's all you need is the caliper bracket and the rotors, which are stock.

except for the caliper brackets all of that is available at a local parts store or online for considerably less.

that will be plenty of brakes for that setup unless you're autox or road racing.
Thank you sir. Great info.

The top end of my budget is basically around the cost of the Doctor Diff. kit, but it’s nice knowing that if I needed to, the stock replacements will hold up.

After looking at the Doctor Diff kit again, it actually comes with more than I first thought… Looks like good value now.

Thank you sir. Great info.

The top end of my budget is basically around the cost of the Doctor Diff. kit, but it’s nice knowing that if I needed to, the stock replacements will hold up.
the Dr Diff is a nice piece of kit, no bones about that. and it's a great value if you need everything, as in starting from scratch.

the stock "small" 10.8's would even be just fine on the street and for "spirited driving". one thing to keep in mind is that the 11.75's are HHHEEEEAAAAVYYYY.

anyway, my point was more to that you've already got the stuff, so why not just use it and save yourself a few doubloons.

Cass is a real good guy! @DoctorDiff
I’ve had nothing but great interactions through email with him and every purchase I’ve made has been a good experience, with quality parts at the end of the road. After realizing that his kit came with what it does, the value aspect was no longer a question.

the Dr Diff is a nice piece of kit, no bones about that. and it's a great value if you need everything, as in starting from scratch.

the stock "small" 10.8's would even be just fine on the street and for "spirited driving". one thing to keep in mind is that the 11.75's are HHHEEEEAAAAVYYYY.

anyway, my point was more to that you've already got the stuff, so why not just use it and save yourself a few doubloons.

ahhh. Thank you. I appreciate it.

I’ll never have a crazy performance engine in this car. I’ve always figured that bigger was better for breaks though. I’d definitely like to save money right now and if upgrading to bigger rotors isn’t needed, that would be a big plus.

I agree with @junkyardhero that, in good condition, the stock brakes (10.87" rotors) would be brakes a-plenty. That's what I'm using on my '68 Valiant's big-bolt swap. My Challenger is another story (or "another 1,000lb." if you prefer) and is getting the big boys.

If you want the larger rotors, you've literally already got the steering knuckles, calipers, hardware, and hoses in that kit--they were on your car the day it was built. All you'd need to upgrade to the 11.75" rotors are the rotors themselves and the matching caliper adapters (slider type). Both are '75-'79 B-body parts (Cordoba, Charger, Magnum) and '79-'81 R-body (St. Regis, Newport, New Yorker). Dr.Diff has the adapters, I believe. Those are essentially non-wearing parts, and everything else except the rotors would be listed for your car at the local parts store. The rotors are available locally too, they're just listed for the above applications rather than your ride.

That being said, you can save $120.00 on the Dr.Diff kit by choosing "subtract knuckles" at the bottom after you've chosen everything else. You've already got those on the car. All the rest would be brandy-new, yet still parts-store friendly come rebuild time.

Thank you guys. I decided to stick with my current setup and getting close to finishing up the detail work. My ghetto spray station. Lol. Waiting on stock replacement parts from RockAuto now. I’m pretty stoked at how it’s turning out. Everything was degreased, wire brushed, scotch pad, then soap and water with a hard sponge and then a final spray and wipe down with carb cleaner before spraying. I need to get a sand blaster setup.

7B9543BE-4D4E-49DB-8C2A-ECD70480C9FE.jpeg

78CDF731-BF6C-421D-9F91-B4C2FAB08385.jpeg

2657564E-73D0-4861-8936-22C1C4C976B6.jpeg

-
Back