brake pedal sticking????

-

SOUPENE

Reaction score
i have a 74 duster with a 318 & 904 combo front disc and rear drums the problem im having is every time i step on the brakes the pedal sticks and so do the brakes :mumum: im thinking its the power booster what do you guys think?

You could have alot of things going on there, I had one rear brake that kept dragging on my duster, I had replaced the wheel cylinders a few years ago so I didnt think that was it, but I must of had water in my lines as that one turned out was all rusted inside, so maybe you should drain your brake fluid and replace it with clean, have you done that lately?? do you drive your car all the time or does it sit for 3 months like mine does?? I am sure someone else will chime in.....

You could hit your brakes a few times while the car is off to use up any vacuum in the booster. then see if the pedal sticks. If it still does it likely is not a booster issue. If it doesn't stick its probably the booster.

That is a long one. Pull everything; check for calipers/cylinders sticking. Check drum return springs.Check for sticking caliper pistons. No go? Bleed all 4 , you need new fluid anyhow. still no go?Pull m/c, check for under-dash pedal bind. Then a new, not rebuilt master.
It ain't fun. But I would pull lines of the m/c, rags on ports, and step on the pedal, first.

Sounds like a good time to check everything. When I bought my car the first thing I did was replace all fluids. I blew the brake lines out with compressed air and used brand new brake fluid. I didn't have the brake sticking problem however.

Ok guys i tried the pedal while the car was off and no sticking pedal it only does it while she's running my fluid is only about three months old the pads and shoes and drum hardware are all 3 months old as well its not like the brakes are sezieing up its just like the pedal is sticking if i pull forward on the pedal it goes back into the correct place but when i step on the pedal it feels like it pops into place than when i let off it stays engaged untill i lift up on the pedal with my foot. Im gonna pull the master cylinder and try to bench bleed it to see if the plunger spring is to blame if not i bet it's the booster...

Ok guys i tried the pedal while the car was off and no sticking pedal it only does it while she's running my fluid is only about three months old the pads and shoes and drum hardware are all 3 months old as well its not like the brakes are sezieing up its just like the pedal is sticking if i pull forward on the pedal it goes back into the correct place but when i step on the pedal it feels like it pops into place than when i let off it stays engaged untill i lift up on the pedal with my foot. Im gonna pull the master cylinder and try to bench bleed it to see if the plunger spring is to blame if not i bet it's the booster...

This may or may not have a thing to do with it but does your brake rod have the rubber bushing around it?

Attachments

• Master cylinder rod.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 154
  • MC rod bushing.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 146
Starting to sound like booster; vacuum test it. Hard to type, your avatar keeps getting in the way... lol

-
Back