Brake rod length

-

zigs

Reaction score
Having problem with front brakes. 68 Dart ,73 front upgrade and 10" 4 1/2 on 5 in the back. MC is for 73 up and rotors are 11" pretty standard stuff . My problem is pulsing peddle when I brake and a knocking on the right side. Slow brake not so bad but hard brake it really lopes .
nothing coming through the steering wheel. I had the brake guy out for the second time and he returned the drums and rotors . there was no change. Rotors aren't worped or cracked spindles are good , calipers are good. He's a very good brake man , in 35 yrs he said that he hasn't run across anything like this. One thing he did suggest was to check MC rod length my be too long.
any thoughts on this ?

Last edited:
In a former life we would put new drums and rotors on the brake lathe. They actually had a little extra material to true them up out of the box. I’m sure the quality of the parts today hasn’t improved. Sounds to me like you’ve got a disc or drum that’s Not true. Only one way to find out and that’s to have them put on a brake lathe to see. Other thing off the top of my head is were the pads and shoes properly bedded after install. This is what comes to my mind. I don’t see how the pushrod would cause a brake pulse during application. Here’s an article on bedding in the frictions and why.

How To Bed In Brakes, How To Break In New Brake Pads

Last edited:
In a former life we would put new drums and rotors on the brake lathe. They actually had a little extra material to true them up out of the box. I’m sure the quality of the parts today hasn’t improved. Sounds to me like you’ve got a disc or drum that’s Not true. Only one way to find out and that’s to have them put on a brake lathe to see. Other thing off the top of my head is were the pads and shoes properly bedded after install. This is what comes to my mind. I don’t see how the pushrod would cause a brake pulse during application. Here’s an article on bedding in the frictions and why.

How To Bed In Brakes, How To Break In New Brake Pads
Rotors/drums are new . They were also turned on lathe before use broke in properly.
Results the same . He did this twice. Also new calipers and pads and shoes

Problem solved. As far as the knocking . when I pulled rotors of , I decided to retorque suspension bolts . I found some loose both sides. And for the pulsating brake , I talked
with A/Jforms great source of knowledge . Through his in put I switched rotors right to left , cleaned everything real well and changed pads to a set that I thought was bad but kept . No more puling no thumping, thanks A/J

-
Back