Brake setup question.

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My car originally was a manual drum/drum setup. I have changed to a disk/drum setup that came with the car. The proportioning valve is off a power booster setup. Here's the question. Can I use the manual master cylinder with the power proportioning valve?

Jack

We converted my kid's 73 Scamp from power disc to manual discs and only changed the master cylinder. It works fine.

so, if soembody wanted manual brakes, all they would have to do is take the booster and master cylinder off and put a manual brake cylinder on in place?

Get ahold of Craig and get an aluminum MC off him,they work with manual or power brakes. :)

I am quite sure there is no difference between proportioning valves used with power brakes or manual brakes. THe proportioning between the disks in the front and drums in the rear would stay the same.

NOTE: the drum/drum systems do not have a proportioning valve. The lump of metal on the frame is just a distribution block with a switch to activate the break warning light if either the front or rear sides start to leak.

I bought a Summit adjustable prop valve when I converted mine to discs. Allows you to compensate for different tire widths and brake shoe/pad combinations.

-
Back