1. 71scamp78

71scamp78 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:01 PM
    Well got all the 51 year old junk off the front car. Time for 11.75 Dr Diff disc brake conversion. Also got a new set of stock upper control arms with ball joints and bushings already installed from Diff. All new steel pre bent brake lines and new steel braided hoses. Also went with a new aluminum master cylinder to top it off. I'm gonna need good brakes to stop the 5.7 Hemi we are about to rebuild. Going with disc on rear to. Going to clean K member since it's out what's everyone using to paint it back up. I was thinking of some satin black chassis paint. I can have it powder coated as long as I strip it he said 100 bucks to do. Not sure if it's worth it.

20210731_125925.jpg

20210731_125933.jpg

2. moparmat2000

moparmat2000 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    1:01 PM
    Is it a black car, or just a black engine compartment? Repaint that engine compartment to body color. The K frame, I'd degrease it, clean it and fog it with primer and chassis black after seam welding it. but that's just me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • 71scamp78

Local Time:
      It's not a

It's not a black car I believe it is Jamaican Blue B7 based on vin tag. Someone painted some ugly blue over it and engine compartment black. I'm just gonna stuff engine in for now and have some eventually..maybe by next year. I will have the paint done at some point. I'd like to paint engine bay now but I'm no painter. As far as the K member I have goes I'm sanding it down now. The chasis paint I got says you can paint over rust as long as it's not loose rust. Not sure if I'd need to primer it before the chasis paint. What about steering box should I paint or just clean it up and leave it be.

• kursplat

kursplat FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      11:01 AM
      you want restored correct finish, i.e. rusty, or cheep and looks good all the time, i.e. rattle can gloss black?

• 71scamp78

Local Time:
      I have some satin black chasis paint begging to be used. I'm not trying to be factory correct . I have never used chasis paint curious as to how it holds up. The steering boxes were not painted but probably wouldn't hurt to throw something on it ?

• cudamark

cudamark FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      I powder coated my K-member. I shouldn't have to paint it ever again.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • 71scamp78

Local Time:
        Yeah there is a local guy said 100 bucks to powder coat but he doesn't do sand blasting anymore due to cancer. I'd like to have lower control arms done as well

• cudamark

cudamark FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Yup, I did K-member, upper and lower control arms, and the sway bar.

• Like Like x 1
        • kursplat

kursplat FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
          my personal opinion, you will never get all the old paint and gunk off the inside of the K with sand blasting. and then you will never get all the sand out of it. either find a place to chemical strip it and then powder coat, or clean it up as best you can at home and spray paint it. sounds like the $100 could be better spent elsewhere on the car

• Like Like x 1
          • 71scamp78

Local Time:
            Kind of what I was thinking..it's not like you see that much if the k member anyways. I got it about half clean with my drill and wire brush. There us a place in indy that will strip it chemically and powder coat

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.