Brand New "DIXCO" style hood mounted tachometer

-

moparpep

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a reproduction style DIXCO hood tach for my 72 Dodge Demon. After a long search for an original one on e-bay and cruising local and major swap meets since 1997, I finally gave up. I was not going to pay the ridiculous prices of a NOS one. One day I went on e-bay while i was bored. i searched again. I thought i was seeing things!!!! BRAND NEW reproduction of the original style tach for $199 plus shipping. The ad said "BUY IT NOW". I purchased it right away. Upon receiving it it was painted white. I tested it before i took it apart just to make sure that it worked. Beautiful.... back lit led lighting with modern electronics. It's made in China, but hey, who cares! it looks and performs beautifully. I took it apart with a little trick and painted the top of the housing with ORGANISOL textured black (same as my hood) and the inside of the cover and face plate SATIN black. Not sure if I can post the vendor here if interested in buying it direct or just go on e-bay. There still on there

Attachments

• SavedPicture.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,668
  • hood tach 007.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 2,634
Somebody post a link....I've always liked those too, but can't bear the thought of cutting my hood :sign12:

Um, I'd like to see the rest of your car please. :)

That tach is sweet! x2 on seeing the rest of your ride. My first car was a 71' Demon. Man I love that tach!

Any word on how it compares to an original dixco?

You can't tell the difference when mounted. Unmounted the bottom does not have any mounting lugs. You will have to be creative in that part. I drilled two holes and attached two screws with a little epoxy to the inside of the housing. Once it's dry you can mount the tach. I took a piece of card stock an placed the tach over it poking the screws through the card stock. Then trace the outline of the tach and remove it. Now cut out the shape of the tach and place it on the desired spot on the hood. Now you have a template of where to drill your holes. It killed me to drill into my beautiful hood!!

People ask me if my car is an original Mr Norm's GSS Demon. The tach is an excellent repo of the nos one. I'm a fussy guy and would have sent it back. OH BTW, it comes with NO instructions. Simple: red positive, black ground, green - side of coil. No brainer.

How did you get it apart?
I purchased one and removed the screws to pull it apart and paint it
but I have had no luck and afraid of damaging it

This story is really funny.

Everybody is showing his original restored Mopars at the shows. But when you watch details, you will see right away the cheap China scrap mounted on the cars. Even this crap repop dixco is worth nothing. Any you can be sure; professionals notice directly the difference to an original unit in two seconds.

Guys, where is your pride “Made in USA” ???

For sure, everyone can do what he likes, but I would never install China scrap on my cars.

Just my two cents.

Everybody is showing his original restored Mopars at the shows. But when you watch details, you will see right away the cheap China scrap mounted on the cars. Even this crap repop dixco is worth nothing. Any you can be sure; professionals notice directly the difference to an original unit in two seconds.

For sure, everyone can do what he likes, but I would never install China scrap on my cars.

Just my two cents.

maybe the Chinamen that repoped this are some of the zillion people the U S allows to immigrat here every year!? they are NOW U S Chinamen.

I agree somehat with your point. BUT not everyone one of us can afford that stupid price for the NOS piece, or even if could, can't stand to be so foolish with their $$$? I guess that's why we have all the different segments of our hobby.

Just my two cents.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this is stupid.....

Looks great. I had searched for years and found an nos for 100(a steal). I bought with in minutes of it being listed on ebay. It is the later style gauge face though.

After all the years now they reproduce them. I rather pay 200 for a new one that is clean working rather then 150 for a beat up one needing to be restored. I like the style you have better.

here is mine

Just my two cents.

Anyone notice where mrta340 is located?? Now that's funny.

-
Back