Bride Of Frankenstein

-

Duggie

Reaction score
I thought I pieced together the history of this '64 Dart pretty good before buying it long distance. It only had a couple owners ( I thought). With Covid-19, I paid for an inspection and appraisal. I did not ask to take all the paint of the fender tag so I could read the #s...

The seller was convinced it was a factory original 4 spd. This is what I found after FINALLY getting under the cart to pull the tranny for clutch and synchros.

These gear markings look like they are from a wrecking yard? The shift plate side cover is the upgraded, beefier one. The Hurst shifter looks period correct, and the casting number is 1960's.

Guess the tranny had to come from somewhere, huh? Should probably count a few gear teeth to see what I'm actually playing with.

Trans hump.JPG
IMG_4943.JPG
IMG_4944.JPG

That looks like a factory opening for the shifter linkage & the paint might be from assembly at the factory also. On the main housing, there is a casting date that will tell you when it was cast at the foundry. That number will also tell you if it's date correct for your car.

Thanks for the input!

The foundry numbers are a couple digits higher than the "early 64's" mentioned in the overhaul book. Manufacture date is only month / day.
IMG_4861.JPG

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN PART II - The Blue Donor

I noticed the power steering reservoir was blue, and thought to myself, "Self. I wonder why Dodge painter their power steering reservoirs blue". Then I pulled the engine for the rear main seal and hosed the engine compartment (again) and found the the rest of the power steering unit to have blue paint and the steering mounting bracket to be mounted to the frame by what looks like non-factory welds.

I wonder what Bride - Part III will look like.

-
Back