Brodix B1BA heads...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Just wondering what kind of power they can make? @IQ52....ever work a set of them?

If you go to the Brodix.com site, ( Brodix ) they have flow numbers for there heads. The small block MoPar has 3-ish to choose from. There is the NASCAR "spec" head, the B1BA and the B1BA-MC which is a moved centerline head, AKA, like a W2 or 5 head with the moved pushrod. The 2 heads can be ported. The MC can be CNC ported. I don't know if both heads are treated to CNC machine. I hate to assume....

The B1A is around the same as the Edelbrock head and the B1A-MC has flow rates like a well done W5. In which they were and still are a good option over the W5 since there it produced and there reputation is sketchy.

Brodix flow charts; B1 Series/15°/18° – Brodix

Check out the shadydell web site for his take on those heads.
Shady Dell Speed Shop

Last edited:
I think that they can be ported to flow over 300CFM, so potentially 600hp -from a keyboard commando...
@IQ52
Just the guy I was going to look for...once I clear a spot in my inbox...
If you go to the Brodix.com site, ( Brodix ) they have flow numbers for there heads. The small block MoPar has 3-ish to choose from. There is the NASCAR "spec" head, the B1BA and the B1BA-MC which is a moved centerline head, AKA, like a W2 or 5 head with the moved oushrod. The 2 heads can be CNC ported.

The B1A is around the same as the Edelbrock head and the B1A-MC has flow rates like a well done W5.

Brodix flow charts; B1 Series/15°/18° – Brodix

Check out the shadydell web site for his take on those heads.
Shady Dell Speed Shop
Thanks for your assistance Sir....

Last edited:
Just the guy I was going to look for...once I clear a spot in my inbox...

Thanks for your assistance Sir....
Your welcome. I hoped that helped.
I myself do not see the B1BA as ancost effective choice but the B1BA-MC as a possible contender. The Edelbrocks Victor head is in the same ball park. Final cost is the variant and a unknown to me on both heads. The Brodix requires a little extra work in drilling and tapping for exhaust. Not really a big deal but just one more thing to be done.
(1 more hassle?)

Your welcome. I hoped that helped.
I myself do not see the B1BA as ancost effective choice but the B1BA-MC as a possible contender. The Edelbrocks Victor head is in the same ball park. Final cost is the variant and a unknown to me on both heads. The Brodix requires a little extra work in drilling and tapping for exhaust. Not really a big deal but just one more thing to be done.
(1 more hassle?)
I have the B1BA bare castings already. If memory serves me the exhaust is drilled but there is no holes in the ends of the castings so mounting an alternator will need to be addressed. Thanks again...
Doug, @Bighead440 can probably tell you something about them if he is on.
Hopefully he chimes in, thanks for tagging him Rob.
I remember this post I like and agree with. Simple, effective, nothing fancy.

Realistic Expectations - 11 second Demon weekly driver
Will take a look at it...Once again Thank You Sir...

The MC heads dont have good chambers and dont make the kind of power a good W5 head will.
Yet to see a legit 9 sec combo with that head.

The MC heads dont have good chambers and dont make the kind of power a good W5 head will.
Yet to see a legit 9 sec combo with that head.
I agree, but then again, when one wants to really make some power, OOTB heads as cast normally don't make the grade.

So to that end, aluminum is easy to carve. Chamber, port and/or what ever it takes.

I have not ever laid eyes on a MoPar Brodix head and I have yet to get my W5 program rolling. Allways something in the way!

@RustyRatRod ..Yes a friend bought these B1BA heads against my recommendations, because of the B1 and BRODIX tie-ins. They flowed over 300cfm on the intake side at .650" and crazy good on the exhaust, like 260cfm!! Problem is: no header fits, and the closest thing OOTB is a TTI W-5 header and it still interfered with everything torsion bar or steering/chassis related. He was forced to go tubular everything and coilovers to make the headers work. Dynoed on his flat-top 408" stroked 360, using a mild REED cams solid roller it made over 650hp, which ain't too shabby. I believe I would search for W-5s or maybe investigate the Victor Edelbrocks...

Last edited:
Thanks! I was out in the shop and saw your axles. I forgot them the other day. Is it still hamburger night at The Velvet Elvis on Thursday? Might have to meet up. LOL

@RustyRatRod ..Yes a friend bought these B1BA heads against my recommendations, because of the B1 and BRODIX tie-ins. They flowed over 300cfm on the intake side at .650" and crazy good on the exhaust, like 260cfm!! Problem is: no header fits, and the closest thing OOTB is a TTI W-5 header and it still interfered with everything torsion bar or steering/chassis related. He was forced to go tubular everything and coilovers to make the headers work. Dynoed on his flat-top 408" stroked 360, using a mild REED cams solid roller it made over 650hp, which ain't too shabby. I believe I would search for W-5s or maybe investigate the Victor Edelbrocks...

I agree heads can be carved on. The MC just plain isnt a good head, carved on or not.
My old W5 heads went 140 mph in a 3200 pound car on gas and 002/003 leafs. Faster than when i had the car.... lol.... but new owner went more agressive on camshaft and compression and got it to 3200 from the 3350 when i raced it.
The dyno said 708 on the 422 motor with W5 heads. The Mph at the track backed it up.

Before trying to make use of that MC head i would get a set of well prepped indy oval port heads, they make very good power properly done. the 230 cc ones

I agree heads can be carved on. The MC just plain isnt a good head, carved on or not.
My old W5 heads went 140 mph in a 3200 pound car on gas and 002/003 leafs. Faster than when i had the car.... lol.... but new owner went more agressive on camshaft and compression and got it to 3200 from the 3350 when i raced it.
The dyno said 708 on the 422 motor with W5 heads. The Mph at the track backed it up.

Before trying to make use of that MC head i would get a set of well prepped indy oval port heads, they make very good power properly done. the 230 cc ones

It would be nice if someone would make the W-5 again. Very underrated casting.

There is just a potential issue with the MoPar head. Porosity.
I wish someone made an updated W5 head. Better castings to start with.

@B3422w5 *I think* the OP has regular Brodix B1BA heads and not the MC units.

The very Victor head is a better route IMO, but not totally sure of all the in's and out's of them as well as vs. the Indy head.

There is just a potential issue with the MoPar head. Porosity.
I wish someone made an updated W5 head. Better castings to start with.

@B3422w5 *I think* the OP has regular Brodix B1BA heads and not the MC units.

The very Victor head is a better route IMO, but not totally sure of all the in's and out's of them as well as vs. the Indy head.
I do indeed have the B1BA heads. Probably not going have much use for them...as well as some other "mistakes" I have purchased over the last few years. Hate trying to sell this stuff, zero patience for Tire kickers....and folksome that think just because the seller is not going to use something that the parts should be next to free...probably why I am just going to pull what I can use off of that rusty 68 Valiant that is sitting outside and scrap it...

Exactly. But I made something fit. A lot of rework,rebend, resplice, and adjusting with a BFG, and a receramic-coat. Not to mention the custom mounts. And oh-boy the scattershield and clutch linkage. All that and the guy rarely drives it and when he does; you guessed it, it's to a show. Since installed,I bet it's never been over 4000, even 4 years later,now.
They made 497 dyno-hp tho on a 340, with a 6-pac. Hyup he had to have that too.

I purchased a set of MC heads and have since read a bit about the heads being junk so have not run them. I had my engine builder rough in 1 inlet and exhaust to see what he thought. He managed 350cfm @ .700 on a 4.125 bore with a 2.100 valve, said it would go 360cfm with a little more work.
He said all the data....air speed, velocity etc was great, low and mid lift were fine.
Started to make big gains above .500 so he wants to try a bigger valve but not a good idea with my bore size

With a big solid roller he guarantees over 700hp at 416 cubes, we have shelved it for now as my 70 over 360 will be toast
Staying with the RPM's for now and aiming for 625hp

@EXcappa Hell, ya got'em, run'em!

@AJ/FormS All the guts and no glory with that guy huh?
(No, I'm not picking on you!)

@inkjunkie Just make a plan and stick to it. That's the hardest part. Take inventory of the stash and write it down. Do a pro vs. conparo. If it help, think of it as a thread on the net and your going to help someone out.

Oh! And everyone wants it all while you pay them to take it away. Cheap skates and tire kickers are the norm. They don't speak to you, they speak at you and complain and never have money.

There was guy on Moparts that had a set of the MC heads that were all worked over on a big inch roller stroker motor( way bigger than 416) in a sub 3000 pound car that went 10.20's at 130 with them.
Thats the fastest i have heard of anybody with them in the last twenty years i have followed closely.
I remember thinking a set of well done Eddies would be capable of that pretty easily.
Hope somebody gets a time slip out of them that shows them making a good amount of power. Would be nice to hear.

There was guy on Moparts that had a set of the MC heads that were all worked over on a big inch roller stroker motor( way bigger than 416) in a sub 3000 pound car that went 10.20's at 130 with them.
Thats the fastest i have heard of anybody with them in the last twenty years i have followed closely.
I remember thinking a set of well done Eddies would be capable of that pretty easily.
Hope somebody gets a time slip out of them that shows them making a good amount of power. Would be nice to hear.
There is a member here who has a set of the standard B1BA heads on his race car. From what I remember it ran pretty hard...all I remember is his car was red....I think...

I think the member TripleThreat with the red dart is the one that was running the Brodix heads on a big small block. He is running high nines I think with a Gen 111 Hemi now.

I think the member TripleThreat with the red dart is the one that was running the Brodix heads on a big small block. He is running high nines I think with a Gen 111 Hemi now.

Yeah but didn't he only have 320cfm out of those heads? That's not much more than max ported RPMs
As i said my engine builder was impressed with the flow and data he got out of them.

Rumble - I need a real block to use them with.
Building another engine and renovating my house soon so money better spent there

-
Back