Broken Dipstick

-

340mouse

Reaction score
Long story, had to move dipstick after new gaskets and paint and reinstalling the engine,
broke the dipstick off flush, put a tap in it and got it to rotate but nothing to grab onto,
any ideas beside taking the motor out and pan off, any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks Dave

Take another dipstick and grease it up. Slide it in and with a flashlight and get the two of them together. The grease should cause the two to bind together and have enough strength pull the broken one out.

Worst case scenario, pull the timing cover off and you may be able to tap it out with a punch, had the same problem, bolts didn't work, nor did a tap or easy out, PITA but it worked.

A small dent puller with a flat hook tool takes them right out. I have a bushing /seal puller that spreads we have a hook made that fits on it.

Put the tap back in with epoxy on it. Then pull it out. Taps are cheap in the long run and may be easier than doing what you know needs to be done.

If don’t want to waste a tap consider a cheap bolt the same way. My be easier to grab. Let the epoxy set and yank it out. Just a thought!

If you you're the adventurous type...just chop a little off the new tube and just tap it in against the old nub ...Maybe the old nub stays by its tail end while the dipstick goes through them both.

I use an easyout . I welded a piece of 1/8 x1/2" strap metal I" long on the easyout.
Tap it in and twist and pull, comes right out.
It's a nice little tool I made for removing broken tubing.

'

Worst case scenario, pull the timing cover off and you may be able to tap it out with a punch, had the same problem, bolts didn't work, nor did a tap or easy out, PITA but it worked.

The oil pan will still be in the way...

length of allthread, a piece of 1/2' pipe, flat washer and nut. Makeshift slide hammer created.

You broke off the tube.Here's what Oldmanmopar and Redfish are talking about. SP8Pa MAC Tool

SP8PA.jpg

Yup, but I was able to remove it without dropping the pan, drove it down and out.
You guys are the best,
I got it out !!!
Tapped it, screwed a bolt in, put vice grips on the shaft of the
bolt just below the head, and hammered up on it,
Took a few minutes, but it come out all together,
then I found the source of a water leak I couldn't find before
(a crack in the bottom outlet of the water pump) easier fix, just buy a new one.
Thanks again to all you guys for the help.
Dave

You guys are the best,
I got it out !!!
Tapped it, screwed a bolt in, put vice grips on the shaft of the
bolt just below the head, and hammered up on it,
Took a few minutes, but it come out all together,
then I found the source of a water leak I couldn't find before
(a crack in the bottom outlet of the water pump) easier fix, just buy a new one.
Thanks again to all you guys for the help.
Dave
I would still change the oil because now you have shavings from the tapping process

I would still change the oil because now you have shavings from the tapping process
There is hardly a thread cut into the tubing since its I.D. is close to 5/16. For added insurance, first magnetize the tap, then fill its flutes with grease.

A tap was something I didn't consider, never would........

-
Back