Brush or Roller?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Two interior house painting (plaster) questions:

1) Whenever I paint with a brush, the longer I paint, the more the brush seems to drag. The videos one watches regarding painting, never mention this problem. I'm sure it happens to more painters out there than myself. Even if I reduce the paint with water/thinner, it just keeps on dragging. Is there a trick that is not mentioned in the media, like rinses the brush off in water/thinner every ten minutes or so? Thank you.

2) The ceilings are ten feet high. I told the paint store sales person I was planning on using a roller. He sold me some 4" and 6" brushes instead. Well, he's not the one going to have to climb up and down my rickety aluminum ladder a zillion times (after 3 coats). Roller or brush? Thank you.

What was that wood stain brand popular in the 1960's? Olympic? I remember the carpenter who built our vacation home also built a cool tree house in the back with the left over lumber.

Mom was helping us kids paint the tree house green. It had a straight up and down ladder and a tiny porch at the top of the ladder. Mom lifted a tray of wood stain up to me waiting for her above on the little porch. The tray tipped a little and covered her and the girl's shift she was wearing in green stain. I felt kind of stupid then and there. Maybe that was the debut of the first tie-dye fashion.

shift.jpeg

A 9in 1/2 in nap quality roller and a 2 1/2 in polyester/ nylon angled brush

The trick to keeping the brush from "dragging" is to wet it with whatever you would use to clean it with BEFORE you start (water for water based paint, mineral spirits for real paint)

But...shouldnt you be able to pick up a daylaborer for half the price of a quality brush, where you live?

My helper guy has not shown up for a month or two. Sick, jail, finally got a real job? It's all up to me now.

Yeah, cut with a brush and learn how to cut, makes life sooo much better. There are many different roller for latex and oil. There are different handles also. Do a little research on line for the best results, and remember wet to dry when painting and get rid of those roller lines. Youtube can be helpful to see rather than anyone telling you. Me I'm a VERY good roller and suck at cutting, where my sister-in-law can cut like a pro. She lays the paint about an inch from the ceiling and then goes back when the brush is dryer and lays it up to the ceiling on the second pass. No tape, AND she can really cook.

Use a quality angle brush like a (2"Purdy Brand), do all the cutting and roll the rest. Take those two brushes back to the store to the guy that sold them to you and slap him with them. That's there only use in painting ceilings. My best friend and fellow F/F was a painter and taught me a lot. Died 10/5/2006 RIP.

-
Back