Bucket seat floor bracket broke thru pan

-

NYJohn

Reaction score
F2E5A8B0-DF37-435F-AA69-EE0DEB4A02DE.jpeg
5B9CE398-D61A-442A-A8FB-099B434066AC.jpeg
543B899C-69D6-453C-B574-B5E72DDC9925.jpeg
B3AB6AD5-69B1-4A66-B074-ECA0449158E2.jpeg
1973 Duster drivers side. I have Zero welding experience. A buddy I have welds a bit but not on cars, a novice. Wanted to ask what’s the best correct and cheapest approach to making this solid and able to last ? Types of welds and materials that should be used ?
All the metal around bracket and crack seems solid. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Others here know a lot more about welding repairs than I do, so I'll not go there.

That said......

Awesome photo of a broadcast sheet being found under the carpet!

Do what you can to gently remove it for preservation.

Just curious if this was a stick car? I've seen this here before, but thought stick car with clutch use would be the reason for this problem. Maybe hard braking with left foot, which is a no no according to DMV.

Remove the floor brace . Overlap a piece from another car flanging it with a flange tool. Plug weld it on and weld the seam from the underside so you cannot see the seam. Replace the floor brace and you are done. Looks like it broke from a heavy weight like me sitting in it for many years. Don't butt weld it your wasting your time it will brake again unless it is tig welded. That would take a lot of cleaning of the metal.

A bench seat car would have a good piece of donor metal to overlap that. Add the bucket plate right back on top of it.

Thanks. Was able to save about 70% of the broadcast sheet. The cars always been an automatic. So should I put a wanted ad for that section of the pan ? Only use a bench seat donor ... so when I put my bracket back over it it’ll be level ? How much overlapping with the donor piece should be done? What would take a lot of cleaning of the metal the butt weld or the tig weld ?

Thanks. Was able to save about 70% of the broadcast sheet. The cars always been an automatic. So should I put a wanted ad for that section of the pan ? Only use a bench seat donor ... so when I put my bracket back over it it’ll be level ? How much overlapping with the donor piece should be done? What would take a lot of cleaning of the metal the butt weld or the tig weld ?
Donor metal from a bucket seat car could be just as stresses and weak as what you have. The metal thickness wont cause a noticeable difference in level. I would think that bucket seat back is stressed and leaning anyway.

Posted a want ad. Is there any welding that would hold, using what I already have, and trying to shape and weld it back together without donor metal ? Just wondering

Posted a want ad. Is there any welding that would hold, using what I already have, and trying to shape and weld it back together without donor metal ? Just wondering
My 66 Dart has a crack around one of the front track holes. Like OMM said. Probably to much of my 230# jamming second gear! LOL I need to pull the seats and pull the carpet and have the crack welded and reinforced. It's a factory bucket seat car with no reinforcements on the front. If I remember correctly, there is a channel under the rear studs, None on the front.

With all the floor boards cracking on Dusters it leads me to believe that Chrysler tried saving every penny they could by using thinner metal wherever they could. Nobody will notice a thinner floor board. And its another reason we have so much damage wherever a tire opening is, inner wheel houses and fenders. Lets face it 50 year old cars are starting to fall apart.

With all the floor boards cracking on Dusters it leads me to believe that Chrysler tried saving every penny they could by using thinner metal wherever they could. Nobody will notice a thinner floor board. And its another reason we have so much damage wherever a tire opening is, inner wheel houses and fenders. Lets face it 50 year old cars are starting to fall apart.
Thank goodness theres reproduction floor pans being made. Be optimistic, theres guys rolling around in '32 coupes at every car show. If we put in the work our cars will last another 60

-
Back