Budget 318 build

-
Ok so after doing some calculations if my math is right milling my 318 heads .040 will take my cr from 8.39:1 to 9.1:1 that's using a .028 gasket thays assuming my calculations are correct here is how i done the math it was stated before that .005 removed is 1cc so .004 would be .8cc .8x10 is 8cc. I haven't cc my heads yet but im guessing they are around 63cc so that would put me at 55cc so i put all the info in summits cr calculator and came up with 9.1:1 I did my deck height at .1 cause I'm not 100% sure what it is after I pull the heads I can get some more accurate measurements. It may be .075 which would be even better!

;)

Screenshot_20180707-152915.png

Lol i thought it was funny/cute he I was trying to get a pic and he keep photo bombing me then I thought well that's ironic lol

NICE! That is the route I’m taking. Standard wheels with those same caps. It’ll look sweeeeeet!

NICE! That is the route I’m taking. Standard wheels with those same caps. It’ll look sweeeeeet!
Thanks I was really hoping to find some 15" steels to put on the back 1 for a better stance 2 alot more tire size options but im not having any luck finding any. I found a pair local for 20 bucks but after further investigation they where ford rims and had a 3 inch hub center! And I refuse to pay Coker prices for steel wheels I remember when these things where laying around everywhere for free everyone wanted rallies and mag 500s and Indy slots! Now you cant find them for under 100 bucks I guess they all got scraped a couple years ago when scrape prices was so high!

Anyone on here have an extra oil pump pickup tube for a passenger car oil pan? I need one i have the truck one. I figured id ask here before I started a want add! Has anyone ever tried to put a truck oil pan in an abody in read you have to change the pan I'm just curous if anyone has made it work with the truck pan?

Yes those are so nice!! It would be nice to not have to sand blast them haha. I just think those prices are crazy for steel wheels iv been out of the loop for a while but ppl use to give them things away lol I called the local junkyard and they didn't have any I actually have one 15 so I only need one more!

For a brand spanking new wheel, that is not a bad price at all.

Yea i guess not those look great too! Wheel vintiques has a really good deal on the dog dish caps they are 27 brand new!

Btw rumble I called around to get some prices on milling the heads one guy didn't answer one guy don't do it anymore and the last is gonna get back with me! Is there anyone who makes smaller bore head gaskets? All the ones I'm seeing are like 4.1 to accommodate 340s and 360s seems like alot of wasted compression on 318s tho ?

Anyone on here have an extra oil pump pickup tube for a passenger car oil pan? I need one i have the truck one. I figured id ask here before I started a want add! Has anyone ever tried to put a truck oil pan in an abody in read you have to change the pan I'm just curous if anyone has made it work with the truck pan?

I just bought an oil pump pickup tube from summit, it was $17.87 Melling brand.

Sad thing is I just carried it up to the garage to put with my future engine build parts, and there was another one there new in the box.
Oh well it was enough to give me for free shipping from summit.

Yea i know what you mean I'm all the time buying hat's and stuff to get to that 99$ lol

Update on the machine shop he sent me a message and said he building a new shop and won't be reopening untill the fall. Maybe thats a sign haha there is one more locally I will try to get a hold of.

Btw rumble I called around to get some prices on milling the heads one guy didn't answer one guy don't do it anymore and the last is gonna get back with me! Is there anyone who makes smaller bore head gaskets? All the ones I'm seeing are like 4.1 to accommodate 340s and 360s seems like alot of wasted compression on 318s tho ?
The amount of “wasted” compression is stupidly low and not worth any worry. IMO, this is overthinking it all.
You want a gasket to fit? Call Cometic.

If been doing all kinds of number crunching and figuring I figured and came up with for about 500 extra dollars I can get my compression to around 10:1! That milling my heads .40 55cc chambers and the speed pro 1.755 pistons that's assuming I'm .75 in the hole now! Is the extra compresson worth that cost?

No. Try and get what you can get without going crazy. Generally speaking 1pt. in ratio is approximately 3% in power.

An example is, if you build a 400hp engine, raise the compression ratio from 9.0-1 to 10-1, you raise your up level to 403hp.
(412 HP, thanks 318 willrun. I did just rise outta bed. More coffee on the way!)

This is on a general, “Balanced combination.”
The percentage goes up as power increases. It is a ball park figure.

Last edited:
-
Back