Budget cylinder heads for a 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem with 302 heads not many are into porting so the 302 offers very little in performance gain over stock for most.

Plus 273/318 heads was designed for 273 in mind and not as a performance head. 273 head volume and cfm is in similar ratio with 273 displacement as a X is with a 340, a 318 is 47 cid bigger than a 273 and 22 cid smaller than a 340 less so after an overbore. A 1.88 360 heads would be closer to right if you kept volume and cfm ratio for the 318 the same as 273 and 340.

With and overbore a 318 is 12-17 cid less than a 340 and 0.060”-0.030” smaller than the so called magic 4” bore can see these aftermarket heads being that far off. Not needed for 300-325 hp but for the money can’t see a reason not to. But yes a 1.88 360 or a ported 1.88 302 or magnum heads would right inline with 300-350 hp 318.
The use of magnum cylinder heads for a budget build 318 has been suggested many times, but doesn't the use of the magnum heads require the use of magnum only intake manifolds? What would a good dual plane intake cost? Is there one that is preferred for use with the magnum cylinder heads?

The use of magnum cylinder heads for a budget build 318 has been suggested many times, but doesn't the use of the magnum heads require the use of magnum only intake manifolds? What would a good dual plane intake cost? Is there one that is preferred for use with the magnum cylinder heads?
The Edelbrock RPM is the best power maker.
The Chinese knock off intakes are cheap as heck and do OK at best.

either edelbrock or knockoff airgap, good thing about the knockoff it bolts on both LA and Magnum.

The Edelbrock RPM is the best power maker.
The Chinese knock off intakes are cheap as heck and do OK at best.
So there is a edelbrock rpm manifold just for the magnum heads? I was told that the LA intake manifold will not fit the magnum heads due to the angle of the bolts. Are the magnum only intakes more expensive than the la intakes?

So there is a edelbrock rpm manifold just for the magnum heads? I was told that the LA intake manifold will not fit the magnum heads due to the angle of the bolts. Are the magnum only intakes more expensive than the la intakes?

Yes there’s a magnum only I believe it’s a bit more expensive. I bought the knockoff but haven’t use it yet so can’t say much about other than it’s cheaper and go on either.

Yes there’s a magnum only I believe it’s a bit more expensive. I bought the knockoff but haven’t use it yet so can’t say much about other than it’s cheaper and go on either.
I'll check out both manifolds

Ummmm, yea, did you do any of your own research at all or are we answering everything.

Search a speed shop like Summit racing.
Yes, I've done research on my own that's how I found out about the KB 167 pistons and search on cams. If you want me to stop posting on here I will.

On a budget? just pull a 5.9 magnum out the junkyard slap some headers and a 650 cfm eddy. need a new oil pan, intake,and flywheel. timing chain cover from a LA block. Can run a electric fuel pump or buy the snout adapter to run a mechanical pump.
I'll repeat RRR's comment from before. He asked about a 318. Go away.

ANY new head should be gone over. Even the best of them. It's par for the course and if you don't do it, you'll regret it. AFR doesn't make Mopar heads to my knowledge. The best Mopar heads available now are the Trick Flows, but even those will need to be inspected. There's no way in the world I'd spend that kind of money and not have them checked over.
yup. got some EQ "ready to run out of the box" heads that definitely weren't. on my wife's 360 Mag in a Durango (stock original engine as it came from the factory, with EQs to replace the factory cracked heads Only other deviation from "factory stock" was a 30-thou overbore) after running for break in in the home garage I went for maiden voyage. Within 4 freakin miles it stuck the #4 exhaust valve and kissed the piston. BRAND NEW HEADS! so I had to take them off and spend ANOTHER $200+ at the machine shop to basically have a valve job done, all of them were too tight. so my $700 heads (back in 2016, picked up right from EQ on a "will call" from their Chicago warehouse) became $900+ heads......

on another engine, a 318 in an 83 D250, I bought my 1st set of EQs these were bought bare and I assembled them. Magnum heads with LA intake bolt pattern. Added a stock 360-2 bbl Melling cam and lifters and a standard (NOT "RPM") Performer and 625 Edelbrock carb plus a set of Hooker Super Comp long tube headers to an untouched 135k mile short block (other than the cam). The Magnum head to LA block swap, is a piece of cake. I could not BELIEVE the difference, how much that 318 woke up in that heavy 3/4 ton truck....... would have been more magnified in a much lighter A body.....

Yes, I've done research on my own that's how I found out about the KB 167 pistons and search on cams. If you want me to stop posting on here I will.

WHAT?!?!

OMG! What a little ***** you are! Seriously?????

LMFAO!!!! Holy **** dude!

If you did research, then why are you asking questions that you should be looking for the answer at places like Summit racing as far as pricing goes.

If your going to get that kind of attitude…..

Then follow these instructions….

Now you go **** off now. Go on, down the block you go!
When you get to the traffic sign, make a left and **** off some more.

If you seriously want help, then we I’d be happy to add in two cents and more. Just loose the attitude of a butt hurt 13 year old girl.

WHAT?!?!

If you did research, then why are you asking questions that you should be looking for the answer at places like Summit racing as far as pricing goes.

If you seriously want help, then we I’d be happy to add in two cents and more. Just loose the attitude of a butt hurt 13 year old girl.

damnnnnn,....is that you yellow rose????

there are solutions. there used to be a drill jig floating around, to drill a set of Magnum heads for an LA intake. If you buy EQ heads you (used to be able to, anyway) get them in either configuration, depending on which intake you were wanting to use. "318A" or 318 B"
The 1st set I bought, I got the "LA intake" version, and I bought them bare, assembled them myself. the 2nd set I got, I got the "Magnum intake" version. supposed to be assembled, ready to run. Assembled? Yeah. Ready to run? He11 no. Had to come apart right away. OK now.
My son bought a set of assembled ones for the LA intake. Those went on OK and had no issues "out of the box".

WHAT?!?!

Keep your two cents worth. I don't need it with a attitude like that. I may have been out of line for asking about what stuff costs and that's my fault. I was lead to believe that these fourms are a good place for car enthusiasts to exchange ideas and experiences on what they have done to their engines but now I'm beginning to have my doubts.

Keep your two cents worth. I don't need it with a attitude like that. I may have been out of line for asking about what stuff costs and that's my fault. I was lead to believe that these fourms are a good place for car enthusiasts to exchange ideas and experiences on what they have done to their engines but now I'm beginning to have my doubts.
catch more flys with honey than vinegar! theres lots of grumpy old men on here that know a imminence amount of knowledge, but come on here starting a pissing match with the first one that rubs you the wrong way ant gonna get you dick, theres always uncle tony on youtube....

You haven’t gotten a attitude yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back