Build a 904 or buy one off the shelf?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest guys, I'm probably not going to rebuild a transmission myself before this Spring. Too many other projects and work...so my options are paying someone to build my 904 or buying one off the shelf.

I haven't settled on a motor yet...but while I want to put some power under the hood, Im not going prostreet..so most likely less than 500hp would do the job.

What is a typical 904 build going to run?

Would it be significantly cheaper than going with something like this?

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/streetfighter-transmission-67-later-318-340-360.html

Is there another vendor who might have a better product or a better price?

Thanks for any opinions and insights!
-Mike

Any good local transmission shop should be able to build you a nice beefed up 904. Probably just as cheep as an off the shelf unit and you will know exactly what was put in it. I would ask other mopar drivers in the area running autos and see if you cant find a good local builder

Any good local transmission shop should be able to build you a nice beefed up 904. Probably just as cheep as an off the shelf unit and you will know exactly what was put in it. I would ask other mopar drivers in the area running autos and see if you cant find a good local builder

Thanks!
I'll definitely ask around but ironically, the only real Mopar guys I talk to are you guys. :D

Can anyone share what their build job 904 cost them? any ball park would help when quoting this out.

with me doing the work...i dont think I spend more then 300 bucks for a "beefed" 904...

I just had mine done it cost me 1400 my mechanic did everything and gave me a 1 year warranty. I thought that was a fair price.

I think I paid about $800 when mine was done, but that was about 10 years ago. He didn't give me a hp range it would handle, but did say it would hold up to any sb I wanted to put infront of it....including a stroker.

I just got my 904 rebuilt for $976. It was completely disassembled and cleaned, all rebuilt with a shift kit and bolt in sprag and they painted it. The builder says it should handle 500hp. My 318 only makes about 100hp lol. I heard to many bad things about TCI on various sites plus my buddy had one in his roadrunner and it was never quite right.

Thanks!
I'll definitely ask around but ironically, the only real Mopar guys I talk to are you guys. :D

Can anyone share what their build job 904 cost them? any ball park would help when quoting this out.
My built 904 cost me $700 and I run in the 10,s with it.Now my 8 inch 4500 stall convertor cost more than the built trans.:wack:personally I stay away from ANY TCI products.Too many horror stories to count.

Fantastic feedback, guys!
It sounds like if I can keep it under $1000, I'll be in good shape.

It's great to hear that the 904 is so capable when built right! I really like the idea of keeping the original transmission with the car (well the case anyway). :D

I had my 904 rebuilt and beefed up some at a local shop this year, and it cost me $800 out the door. I'm running a stroker 318 in front of it, and I'm not afraid to hammer on it at all. I'll be putting it to the true test in the spring when I start racing the car.

I have a question similar to this thread. I have a 71 dart swinger with a 318 and a 904 automatic torqueflite transmission. I am new to owning classic cars, just last weekend I noticed that the dart when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear the car shifts then revs like it like it is slipping or something! I don't even know if it shifting into 3rd. Before I could distinctly feel the shifting between all three gears. Any ideas on what is wrong all of a sudden? And how much it should cost to fix?

$600 just 2 months ago. should easily handle 400hp.

Greek Dart 71~ Aloha! Welcome aboard! Do yourself a favor start your own thread with your question and subject and you will get more "hits"! could be low fluid?

good luck!

I have a question similar to this thread. I have a 71 dart swinger with a 318 and a 904 automatic torqueflite transmission. I am new to owning classic cars, just last weekend I noticed that the dart when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear the car shifts then revs like it like it is slipping or something! I don't even know if it shifting into 3rd. Before I could distinctly feel the shifting between all three gears. Any ideas on what is wrong all of a sudden? And how much it should cost to fix?

If you don't want to rebuild it yourself. Find Butch in Hemet to rebuild it. Good guy and reasonable. You'll have to take it to him. I have his number somewhere around here.

Check simple stuff first.

If you don't want to rebuild it yourself. Find Butch in Hemet to rebuild it. Good guy and reasonable. You'll have to take it to him. I have his number somewhere around here.

Check simple stuff first.

You forgot to ask him if the linkage is hooked up. :D
And if it is, you forgot to tell him the clearances are way too big and it needs a rebuild, or the front band adjustment is too loose.
You also forgot to tell him that it's a possibility that it could be low on fluid and foaming, or might have a plugged up filter, or ask if it buzzes in gear.

Ya slippin there Rob? :D

-
Back