build advice

-

dovercrossing

Go Mountaineers
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a battle plan going for the build of my 225 slant six. I've got a set of .60 over pistons. EGGE Machine oversize valves 1.70 & 1.41 Comp 264S cam and my questions are. To what point can I bring the pistons up by havng the block deck done and still have proper clearance for the valves. Do I have to worry about this at all. The cam has a gross lift of 440. this is my first slant six build and I know some of you guys have done a lot of them

CharlieS would be a good one to ask. I think I remember him saying that you don't have to worry about that until you mill a BUNCH off the head and or block. Especially with those Comp cams as the lift and duration is pretty mild. Lift isn't really a factor like the duration is. It's not how much you open the valve, but how long it stays open. I know Charlie has had .125 milled off the head in one of his cars. He said he had .100 milled off and forgot it had already been milled .025. lol He's also running a stock bottom end and a mild cam. I haven't seen him around in a while so maybe you could PM him.

I'm trying to get a battle plan going for the build of my 225 slant six. I've got a set of .60 over pistons. EGGE Machine oversize valves 1.70 & 1.41 Comp 264S cam and my questions are. To what point can I bring the pistons up by havng the block deck done and still have proper clearance for the valves. Do I have to worry about this at all. The cam has a gross lift of 440. this is my first slant six build and I know some of you guys have done a lot of them

not even a worry...

i have .113 off the head and .030 off the block, run a .475 VALVE lift cam with no issues....

and if i were to do it again i would take everything off the block so you get better quench and also it keeps the valves farther from the bore...

also with inly a .060 over make sure you dont need notches in the block

-
Back