Building 383 Help

-

69'Barracuda

Reaction score
Hey all, I got my 383 back from the shop yesterday and I'm excited to rebuild it. Its my first engine so I'm going to need a little help assembling it and what to put in it in the first place. Its going in a 69 barracuda fastback, bored .030 over, everything else is standard and I'd like to keep the block as original as possible. Transmission is a 4 speed manual, ill probably leave it as that. Rear end is 8 3/4ths 4:10. I'm looking for at least 500 HP or so with something that doesn't destroy the block because its date correct for the car. I prefer low end (quick acceleration) over high end. I don't really have a set budget but I'd rather do it right now then have to redo later. I have everything stock for the engine, so if any of that can be reused, but I'd rather have performance. I've read about builds and have seen common suggestions for the mp 509 cam, aluminum heads, and a 440 crank instead of the standard 383 one. You'll have to bear with me on the limited knowledge. Thanks for all the help.

Hey all, I got my 383 back from the shop yesterday and I'm excited to rebuild it. Its my first engine so I'm going to need a little help assembling it and what to put in it in the first place. Its going in a 69 barracuda fastback, bored .030 over, everything else is standard and I'd like to keep the block as original as possible. Transmission is a 4 speed manual, ill probably leave it as that. Rear end is 8 3/4ths 4:10. I'm looking for at least 500 HP or so with something that doesn't destroy the block because its date correct for the car. I prefer low end (quick acceleration) over high end. I don't really have a set budget but I'd rather do it right now then have to redo later. I have everything stock for the engine, so if any of that can be reused, but I'd rather have performance. I've read about builds and have seen common suggestions for the mp 509 cam, aluminum heads, and a 440 crank instead of the standard 383 one. You'll have to bear with me on the limited knowledge. Thanks for all the help.
I built the exact same motor. 383 with 440 crank = 426 CI Mine made 525 HP and 552 TQ is a 10.0-1 compression premium pump gas motor with good street maners. I used a 68 383 block, had machine shop cut down a steel 440 crank to fit. Used eagle connecting rods and Diamond pistons. Heads are Eddy rpm performer out of the box bolt on, with rpm dual plane intake and 750 AED double pumper carb. Cam is a Lunati voodoo 30230741. solid lifter cam flat tappet. Motor is a torque monster had a great torque curve that starts at 2900 rpm. I have it in a 71 duster with a 3500 stall 10" TCI converter. with all the torque converter flashes to 4000. Also have 3.73 gears and a 275/60/15 drag radial. Car runs 2600-2700 rpm on the highway at 65 mph. pleasure to drive.

It might be better to define the purpose of your build, as far as the car goes. If your wanting to drive it on the street, 100 mile plus cruise days, etc, before building a 500hp engine.

It might be better to define the purpose of your build, as far as the car goes. If your wanting to drive it on the street, 100 mile plus cruise days, etc, before building a 500hp engine.
It’ll be an intown car I can have fun and kinda throw around. Maybe the rare trip somewhere, but mostly an intown car.

I'm looking at stroker kits for a 383 replacement in a 71 RR. Wanting to do a mild build for the street, so I'm curious on others ideas and experiences also. I'm thinking 438 kit from 440 source as of right now.

Strokers are all the rage now, and kits appear to be $2500 balanced ready to bolt in.

Food for thought on a actual 383 cid build.
Go to 8:44 into the video for the Dyno run.
(Later when cash allows, add 1.6 rockers & port the heads for more power!)

Last edited:
Mines .030 over about 10.6:1, stock crank and resized rods with stock bolts, with stock iron heads, mopar .557 cam, street dominator intake and 750 mighty demon. 4.56 gear and a 4 speed. Very fun around town. I shift between 6200-6500 and it's been in the 6800 limiter a few times and is holding together great.I'd like to get it to the track before the end of the season to see how good it actually runs and an idea on power

If you want to get a close to stock as based on other posts, put the RR grind purple shaft in and go full stock! That is where I am trying to go. With the stick Your's has, it will be pretty fun as stock, I promise!

Last edited:
I'll take the videos 383 with ported heads and 1.6 rockers with a manual in a Cuda for everyday driving!

Yea, that'll be cool!

Everybody thinks they need 500hp. A build with nothing more than zero deck flattop pistons (KB162) with valve reliefs, a good set of iron (88-90cc) or aluminum (76-84cc) and my favorite Crane hydraulic replacement cam (272/284 duration, 216/228@.050", .454/.480" lift, 112LSA) #683941 will drive good like stock, sound mean and run like hell!!

Need/want/etc... LOL

That split Crane I have used
In small blocks before and I have to say that for such a Mello cam it ran good! Worked even nicer with decently prepped parts.

Need/want/etc... LOL

That split Crane I have used
In small blocks before and I have to say that for such a Mello cam it ran good! Worked even nicer with decently prepped parts.

We took a .509 PurpleShaft out of an otherwise stock, original paint survivor '69 Road Runner and the owner was ecstatic!!! With a set of Pypes Race Flow or Jones Max-Flow 2.5" mufflers, etc.,they sound awesome and have zero driveability issues like some of these "extreme" or "voodoo" grinds might.

We took a .509 PurpleShaft out of an otherwise stock, original paint survivor '69 Road Runner and the owner was ecstatic!!! With a set of Pypes Race Flow or Jones Max-Flow 2.5" mufflers, etc.,they sound awesome and have zero driveability issues like some of these "extreme" or "voodoo" grinds might.
So you recommend a .509 purple for a street but drivable car, or were you saying you replaced the 509 with the split? Thanks.

He replaced it....

He says it in the first sentence!

He replaced it....

He says it in the first sentence!

Agree, still have the 509 and want to back up! The stick makes all the difference!

Even though I am 727, I still want to drop it back.

-
Back