Building a hot 360

-
0869F8DC-C665-436C-A918-2A163BE9DD2C.jpeg
62B2F581-E043-4D32-B2DA-C7C0EDB3E083.jpeg
D08A8FAF-E759-4A4E-A63A-21B03A237CDB.jpeg
9315B622-C09F-4481-9954-F7750200BE59.jpeg
I ended up going with the k20-228-4 cam from comp and forged rods and pistons

That is a big cam you should get your nasty idle. Make sure you get the right valve springs and check all of your clearances. You are gonna have to cut down your valve guides for sure

That is a big cam you should get your nasty idle. Make sure you get the right valve springs and check all of your clearances. You are gonna have to cut down your valve guides for sure

Yes heads have been done and checked out but I’m debating if I should port my j heads or get some aluminum aftermarket ones

Yes heads have been done and checked out but I’m debating if I should port my j heads or get some aluminum aftermarket ones
Nice cam.
If it were I .....
Fully ported Edelbrock heads with 1.6 roller rockers would be employed. Your new lift would be .581.

Well, Ok, LOL, I get that. Sure! You just stayed ether the J heads or aluminum ones, so, I added my suggestion for the future. It will add some really good top end POP!

1973dusterkid, I hope I am not hijacking your thread, but I built a hot 360, too. I used zero-deck pistons, milled some heavily-ported "J" heads down to get a 10.5:1 CR, installed 2.02" intake valves and used a Comp Cams 20-243-4 camshaft, which has about 246 degrees of duration at .050 and about .480 lift, IIRC. I got a lot of detonation which I have never been able to get rid of which, needless to say, was rather disappointing. It ran fairly decently on 93 octane gas when it was available, but now all we can get around here is 91 octane, and the engine doesn't like the 91 too much.

I didn't know anything about quench when I built the engine (still don't!), but now I am pretty sure you shouldn't do this with open-chamber heads. The guys on here have been really nice in trying to help me, but in order for them to advise me further I am going to have to remove the heads, make some measurements and report back. It's on my "to-do" list, for sure. When I do start a new thread on my LA 360, I hope you will chime in.

Last edited:
1973dusterkid, I hope I am not hijacking your thread, but I built a hot 360, too. I used zero-deck pistons, milled some heavily-ported "J" heads down to get a 10.5:1 CR, installed 2.02" intake valves and used a Comp Cams 20-243-4 camshaft, which has about 246 degrees of duration at .050 and about .480 lift, IIRC. I got a lot of detonation which I have never been able to get rid of which, needless to say, was rather disappointing. It ran fairly decently on 93 octane gas when it was available, but now all we can get around here is 91 octane, and the engine doesn't like the 91 too much.

I didn't know anything about quench when I built the engine (still don't!), but now I am pretty sure you shouldn't do this with open-chamber heads. The guys on here have been really nice in trying to help me, but in order for them to advise me further I am going to have to remove the heads, make some measurements and report back. It's on my "to-do" list, for sure. When I do start a new thread on my LA 360, I hope you will chime in.
Hey Bill Crowell, have you tried limiting total timing to say 34° total? Colder spark plug range? Blocked heat cross over? Etc..

Ok so I’m getting ready to put the motor together this week and need some info on gapping piston rings I plan on running a 150 shot down the road so what do I need to gap the rings at or does anyone have any post/articles on how to do it with power adders

I have a 360 LA short block been bored.60 got flat top pistons and been balanced I picked up a set of heads that have been redone ever who done them painted a x on them the guy said they were Mopar exchange heads but all I know is they are 302 thinking about just getting my 360 heads redone

-
Back