Building my own tubing bender. Update: Done!!!!!

-

Badart

Reaction score
Bought the plans online and have been machining the parts over the past couple of weeks. This beauty will bend up to 2" .120" wall Cromoly without kinking it. It uses ProTools 105 dies which range anywhere from $200-$300 each. I will finish welding one more part tonight then it's ready for paint. I plan on making my own frame stiffening parts for my own early A's and later A's and my 800A Scout if they work great then I plan on maybe selling a few fabricated parts to fabo members.

Attachments

• Bender1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 630
Here is one finished in action. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huCCgFs_wZc"]Takacs Air/Hyd Bender test bend 1 (1 of 2) - YouTube[/ame]

Here is one with an electric hydraulic pump conversion. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHJFjZTEH4U&feature=player_embedded"]Custom Built Electric Hydraulic Tubing Bender - YouTube[/ame]

I'm still waiting for my dies to get here. Dang UPS. I am going down to pick up my DOM tubing today and get this thing going. What do you think? Painted it in Bright Blue Metallic that was left over from my truck.

Attachments

• Bender2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 553
  • Bender3.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 528
It not only looks great I think you could sell those, how much if I may ask did something like that cost you to build??

Very cool, man. If you could get the pattern down for SB exhaust pipes, manifold down to the tranny crossmember you might sell a bunch. TTI seems to have the market cornered, and prices accordingly...
C

It not only looks great I think you could sell those, how much if I may ask did something like that cost you to build??

With the ram it only took me about $250 to build, not including any dies. It helps having access to a machine shop at work. I machined all of the brass bushings myself and reused some scrap Thompson shaft that I had stashed.

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Thats some nice work!Whatcha gonna make first, with it?

Scott I plan on making the lower radiator support for 67-76 a bodies. I have Jmacs-mopars Dart Sport over here to use as a pattern. He is getting the first one.

-
Back