Building up a new welding and sheetmetal setup

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I had been thinking about this for awhile. I been wanting to get a harbor freight service cart tool box to convert to a welding cart for awhile. They have a basic black powder coat box that's got 2 drawers and 2 shelves that will actually fit the bill perfectly. It's the right height to slide under my workbench for storage. Bonus is it was on sale for $89.00.

I have all my automotive sheetmetal tools and welding tools now stuffed in this box. It's been super handy having all my sheetmetal specialty tools in one spot and handy for any metalworking project.

The plan is to build an angle iron frame underneath and use 4 heavy duty swivel casters. 2 with locks. I will not be using the ones that came with the box. The frame will stick out past the tool box on one end for me to be able to mount two 80 cu ft welding cylinders. I plan on welding up some 1/8" plate as a bottom support for the bottles.

My welder, I plan on putting on the bottom tray on the opposite end mounted to a pair of ball bearing drawer slides, so when I need to change out my wire, I can roll it out on its slides for easy access. I also plan on building up a 4 plug outlet box with about 20 ft of 12/3 wire mounted right to the tool box.

A buddy of mine hooked me up with an old angle iron steel bed frame that I knocked the rivets out of with my air chisel, and took apart. I cut down and prepped the main pieces to weld up the main frame which will be 17" x 40" I cant wait to have this all functional.

Heres pix so far.
Matt

20200107_213449.jpg

20200107_213458.jpg

20200107_222942.jpg

nice. i'm just about done doing the same type of thing with an old side box i have.

Ran into problems drilling caster holes where the corners are. The welds are tougher than the base metal. I think I am just going to weld the casters to the base.

20200112_160120.jpg

ya, drilling through weld is a pain. are you reusing the casters from the tool cart?
got a little more done on mine too. need to get some 1/8" plate to make the top and decide if the welder is staying sideways or if i'll move it inline
DSC01388.JPG

DSC01386.JPG

Ok first mock up with box. This tool box is rated to hold 350 lbs with these china freight casters so I said **** it and welded them on. Going to make a thick plywood bottom for the bottles with 2 holes cut out, and have 2 pieces of 3" C channel to bolt to the middle of the box for the bottles to be chained to.

20200112_180746.jpg

Last edited:
Slight miscalculation with the height. The cylinder sticks up too high to slide this whole mess under the workbench like I really wanted it to. I also really wanted to have 2 bottles to switch out.

option #1 is staying with one bottle, and cutting a circle out of the center of the bottle deck for the cylinder and dropping it down to clear the bench, then build something to support it from underneath. The cutout would also hold it in at the bottom allowing only 1 chain to be needed.

option #2 shorter castors to fit under the workbench so I can keep 2 bottles on it, but will make it sucky to roll.

Option #3 say **** it leave the casters on it that it has now, put 2 bottles on it and find a different place in the shop to store this thing.

Last edited:
Lets see if i can find mine. One is when i first built it. Other is with a rack on too to hold junk im using. Plus a couple pieces to coil cables up. Has worked very well for my needs.
C6507117-4AD2-4EE3-AC53-2A3185F69D0C.jpeg
EC48A3B1-BCF3-4B64-AAB5-83CA31A31E86.jpeg

Plasma cutter fits too.
bonus-
The only 3 point shop crane i have ever seen.

Go with one bottle, able to slide under bench. That way it's only 1 bottle being moved at a time(less weight) and fits under bench like u wanted.

Go with one bottle, able to slide under bench. That way it's only 1 bottle being moved at a time(less weight) and fits under bench like u wanted.
yup, you can leave the spare bottle chained up in a corner someplace until you need it

Decided on option 1. Cut hole in the decking. Used about 3" of wood under the bottle to mock it up for height with the safety cap installed. Going to use some 1" square tubing to build a bottle support under it. Got a few ideas running around on how I intend to chain this thing in place too, nothing real concrete yet. Also looking into getting a plasma cutter. We have one at work, and I really like it

20200115_184019.jpg

20200115_183635.jpg

Finally 90% done. I have more mods to make, but for now its useable as it is. Fits under my workbench like I wanted it to. A far cry from the old welding cart.

20200118_203853.jpg

20200118_203843.jpg

20200118_210014.jpg

that came out great moparmat. i'm just about finished too. just need to add some cable hangers
1.JPG

DSC01393.JPG

DSC01396.JPG

Thanks kursplat. Yours looks great as well. I love showing ideas that people can use, or morph into something of their own.

last pics. rattle spray job with VHT high temp, because that's what i had
DSC01397.JPG

DSC01398.JPG

-
Back