Building your own headers.

-

mopar65

Reaction score
Hi I am going to be building a 14.1 360 magnum stroked to 408 inches. The engine will be going in my 91 Dodge Dakota sport race truck. My problem is 1-5/8 is the biggest size header I can find that is offered for my dakota . I have full length hooker headers on it now. I am wanting to go to a 1-7/8 x3.5 header size. So the point of me making this post is I have never built a set of headers. Thank God my son knows how to tig weld.lol does any body have advice on the ins and outs on building a set ?

Anyone ever played with the Direct Connection Racing Manual ?

20230324_161903.jpg

20230324_161952.jpg

I wouldn't call them headers, but I made a set of tubular log-style exhaust manifolds for my BB early A-body not long ago. Here are some lessons I learned that I'll apply to when I build a set of proper long tubes for the stroked big block.

I wouldn't call them headers, but I made a set of tubular log-style exhaust manifolds for my BB early A-body not long ago. Here are some lessons I learned that I'll apply to when I build a set of proper long tubes for the stroked big block.

Thanks for the info. With me doing it. It's probaly going to take me months

Nothing wrong with that. The satisfaction of building your own set will be worth it. Good luck!!
Thanks. I hope they turn out good. I still don't understand why nobody will make large tube headers for the dakotas. Seeing how you can get 2 inch tube sized for a S10.

Thanks. I hope they turn out good. I still don't understand why nobody will make large tube headers for the dakotas. Seeing how you can get 2 inch tube sized for a S10.

Everything for a MOPAR is harder to find and twice as expensive....

Wait till you try to fit those bigger tubes into the narrow LA exhaust bolt spacing

I hope you have a lift and can take the entire front clip off. Those two things make it easier.

Stainless headers has a nice series on building headers.

Enjoy making the tubes the shape of the port on an LA, fun stuff.

Tube kit from Summit and the only way to do it is to get in and do it.

There are laser cut sbm exhaust flanges on eBay. Not sure what heads you're running.

Tube kit from Summit and the only way to do it is to get in and do it.

There are laser cut sbm exhaust flanges on eBay. Not sure what heads you're running.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about useing these.

I have the Trickflow 190cc heads

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about useing these.

[/URL]

I have the Trickflow 190cc heads
If it was me, I would not use those with stubs already welded on. It is difficult to weld all around the two center tubes.

I would order a box of bends and some good reducers, and get a good set of flanges that are laser cut. The tubes will be tacked to flanges first, but should be finish welded last, and welded on the inside after shaping them to fit nicely. Then just a reinforcement bead on the top and bottom of the tube outside the flange. Super strong, super flat for good seal, and allows easier finish welding of all other connections.

As for tubes, go slow, try to anticipate the next few moves like a chess game. It starts off slow, but you get the hang of it pretty quick and it moves along easier as you go even though you are running out of space.

Do your best to get a tight fit at all connections. Large gaps will look shitty if you get them sealed up. If a gap is too big, don’t be afraid of cutting out a section and replacing it. Two clean tight welds always looks better and lasts longer than a single wide shitty one.

Wait till you try to fit those bigger tubes into the narrow LA exhaust bolt spacing

I run W2 headers on my Edelbrock heads with adapter plates. Couldn’t he either do this or something that was always in the back of my mind but I never had to do it was why not check the exhaust face of the head with a sonic checker and put the bolt pattern where you want it.

I have built several sets for my projects. I have used Headers by Ed in Mpls. I do not know if he is around any more. I always position where I want the collector and build the longest tube first and then go from there. My goal was always to build equal length plus or minus 3/4”. Once built I would have them ceramic coated for longevity. I used a piece of welding rod as a basic guide to rough out bends for length and shape. I would tack the tubes with MIG and I fully welded with TIG once they were all together. Think of it as a 3D jigsaw puzzle

I run W2 headers on my Edelbrock heads with adapter plates. Couldn’t he either do this or something that was always in the back of my mind but I never had to do it was why not check the exhaust face of the head with a sonic checker and put the bolt pattern where you want it.
Yes, he definitely could do the adapter plates. Which could open up WAY more possibilities. Have someone machine a adapter plate from the LA pattern, to the chevy pattern, and there would be a pretty good chance of finder a chevy chassis header that would clear. All sorts of options!

I built these headers last winter. It’s easier than you think. I used the ICEngine blocks.
I got U bends and went to work.

F7A650FE-E6DC-47BE-AB1B-ED4FAC6EFD45.jpeg

070E3820-D847-4544-BBB4-9109F335DC6C.jpeg

08088BB8-0C8B-4DD4-8E94-98C739D70FF7.jpeg

87D88502-910B-4FDA-944A-F72523467E14.jpeg

8589BE80-38ED-496D-BBEF-3FC408DDF275.jpeg

923CCBB3-E71E-41A9-9C7B-FED35A633C42.jpeg

D3CFC9DD-0F39-48A4-891B-596E98CE706E.jpeg

3D0362B8-C50A-4B39-9149-FC2040217057.jpeg

My concern If it even is one. Is how do you know which is the right way to make the bends in the tube or does it matter or as long as I make each tube let's say 32 inches long. Does it matter how many bends are in each pipe? Sorry I know they are problay dumb questions. The op with the blue duster. Very nice looking headers. I was thinking about buying the plastic header kit and useing them to mock up a set of headers. I don't know how long the hookers are that are on my dakota now. But could I use them as a basic pattern to build my 1-7/8 diameter headers. I mean copy there design but use 1-7/8 tube. Here is what they look like.

Also I don't have any inner fenders so I could also make them fenderwell.

My concern If it even is one. Is how do you know which is the right way to make the bends in the tube or does it matter or as long as I make each tube let's say 32 inches long. Does it matter how many bends are in each pipe? Sorry I know they are problay dumb questions. The op with the blue duster. Very nice looking headers. I was thinking about buying the plastic header kit and useing them to mock up a set of headers. I don't know how long the hookers are that are on my dakota now. But could I use them as a basic pattern to build my 1-7/8 diameter headers. I mean copy there design but use 1-7/8 tube. Here is what they look like.

Also I don't have any inner fenders so I could also make them fenderwell.
Also I missed wear it said my headers are 33 inches long

-
Back