Built 340 stored 22 years suggestions

-
You can make it work about any way it drops in, but it is supposed to be clocked. You get #1 cylinder lined up at TDC with the timing marks lined up. Then you line the slot in the distributor drive up so it's pointing towards the front intake bolt on the drivers side of the motor. From there, you drop the distributer in and line it up to fire, and set the number 1 plug wire where the rotor is pointing. I'm not the best at explaining things, so I hope that kinda makes sense!

My telescoping magnet was not strong enough to lift the gear out. I already have it loose, but it still won’t come out the hole in the top. I’m going to go to the auto parts store and see if I can buy another one or maybe a stronger magnet.
Does it matter what orientation the gear is in when you put it back in after priming the oil?
On #1 cylinder top dead center slot should line up with the 1st intake bolt on the driver side or #1 cylinder. Just like JDmopar said!

Is the motor stuck? Did you say it won't turn?

Were you able to decouple the distributor gear by inserting it in the center slot with a large flat screw driver and turning it? Once it is decoupled it should not take much to lift it up straight unless it is binding.

The distributor gear is decoupled and with the clothes hanger wire with a hook on the end I was able to lift it all the way up to the top but couldn’t get it through the opening because the gear is too big with the hanger at the side of it. It looks like it’s a tight fit to come out that hole. I have not gotten back to the car yet. I was at peace just to stay away from it yesterday.

The distributor gear is decoupled and with the clothes hanger wire with a hook on the end I was able to lift it all the way up to the top but couldn’t get it through the opening because the gear is too big with the hanger at the side of it. It looks like it’s a tight fit to come out that hole. I have not gotten back to the car yet. I was at peace just to stay away from it yesterday.

Coat hanger wire is way to large in diameter, as you’ve already found out.

Once the gear is up out of the cam gear, you can use .039 diameter wire and the gear will come out of the hole. It helps if you get the wire into the teeth on the gear, as it gives you a bit more room.

It will come out of there easily if the wire diameter is smaller that what you are using.

-
Back