Built me a new tool

-

cudascott

It’s a sickness!
Reaction score
here's a k frame and engine dolly I built for installation/removal of the engine and tranny.
I had the steel lying around so as of now I have 11.00 dollars in it. I lowered the bee down on it and it's solid as can be. Just thought I would share what do you guys think?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

built a tee dolly that with three swivel wheels on it . just to roll the motor trans set ups around awhile back . i see just a couple of mods to mine and , it doubles it use . thanks for the idea .

the black piece in the center will be added to for supporting the rear of the engine so the trans can be removed.

I would entertain the idea of making a few of them. Shipping would be high due to the weight but they would still be less expensive than the us car tool Chinese ones.

The only wobble which is minimal is in the jack. The piece that the jack bolts to is side clamped with two 3/8" bolts.

Cool! Make sure to post pics once you drop them onto it. Im gonna try and copy it. Best I can lol

I will give you the dimensions if needed. I took measurements from the 69' bee and the 67' barracuda
to be sure it would work for both.

Last edited:
Very Nice. I would love to get dimensions too. Even a materials list would be awesome!

Thanks!!

8' - 2"x2" tubing with 3/16" wall
2' - 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" tubing with 3/16" wall
2' - 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" tubing with 1/8" wall
6" - 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" tubing with 1/4" wall
12 - 3/8" X 1" grade 8 bolts
8 - 3/8" nuts
2 - 1/4" X 3/4" bolts
2 - 1/4" nuts
2 - 1/2" X 3 1/2" bolts
4 - 1/2" nuts
2 - 3" HD swivel casters
1 - 3" HD fixed caster
Some 3/16"" plate steel for caster pads, jack pad and two 1 1/2" square pieces for the top of the uprights to hold the 1/2" pins. (Can just weld the casters on)

Cut a piece of 2"X 2" tubing 29 1/2" in lenght and the second one 60" this will make the tee. Next cut four 4 1/2" lengths of the 2 1/2" tubing with 3/16" wall this will be for the adjustable sliders. Cut two 7" lengths of the 1 1/2" tubing this will be for the uprights that hold the pins. Cut one 1 1/2" tubing 5 1/2" in lenght this will be for the rear engine support. Cut two pieces of 1 1/2"X11/2" X 3/16" plate and one 4" X 6" X 3/16" plate.
Now the four pieces of 2 1/2" tubing 4 1/2" long will need
two holes drilled in each one 1" inch from each end and on center. This will be where the 3/8" nuts will be welded for the 3/8" set bolts this will also need to be done on the 5 1/2" piece of the 1 1/2" square tubing for the 1/4" set bolts.Drill a 5/8" hole in the center of the 1 1/2"X1 1/2"X 3/16" then weld the two 1/2" nuts on centered over the hole. This will be for the 1/2" pins, then weld them on one end of the two 7" pieces
of the 1 1/2" tubing with the welded nut inside tubing. Once the ends are welded on then weld the 7" pieces to two of the 2 1/2" tubing that's 4 1/2" long place them 3/4"
from the end (refer to the pics) also the set bolts will be at the bottom. The other two pieces of 2 1/2" tubing 4 1/2"
long wil be for the trans jack and rear engine support.
Weld the 4"x6" 3/16" plate to one of them with the set bolts to the bottom also this plate will need to be offset 2 3/8" to the right from center of plate the 6" lenght this is due to the offset of the engine in relation to the k frame and frame rails. the 1 1/2" tubing 5 1/2" welds to last piece of 2 1/2" tubing for the rear engine support. I have not finished this part yet just waiting to get the engine and tranny on to see what's needed. If you want to be able to disassemble it for storage cut the tee on the long piece 4"
back from the short side of the tee and use the 2 1/2 tubing that's 6" long to couple it together. Drill and tap
two 3/8" holes on each end of the coupling to secure the tee together. Then install casters however you choose.

Then stencil "poor boy" on it and if you decide to build and sell them give me some royalty money.:rofl:

That would never fly, here, LOL. You have to have the "off road flotation tires," here LMAO

IMG_0168cs_zpsmnb4rnk8.jpg

IMG_0174cs_zpsamfiai6e.jpg

That would never fly, here, LOL. You have to have the "off road flotation tires," here LMAO

IMG_0168cs_zpsmnb4rnk8.jpg

IMG_0174cs_zpsamfiai6e.jpg
Well since we're on the subject that's why I didn't weld the casters directly to it because I will need some tires to roll it in the gravel in my drive way:thumbsup:

Here's a photo of a dolly I built utilizing your idea and instructions. I had 3" casters on hand so that's what I used. Should work OK on my concrete shop floor. I'm cutting the rear engine support out to be bolted to the slider without the jack this weekend. Thanks again for your idea and plans!
DSC03937.JPG

Last edited:
Reaper,
That is a thing of beauty I like the color also. It's a great feeling to know that there's another one one out there now.

Here's a photo of a dolly I built utilizing your idea and instructions. I had 3" casters on hand so that's what I used. Should work OK on my concrete shop floor. I'm cutting the rear engine support out to be bolted to the slider without the jack this weekend. Thanks again for your idea and plans!View attachment 1715003093
I'm flattered you used my design it looks great!

Let us know what you come up with for the engine support

A couple "J" hooks for axle tubes and an adapter for a differential nose might add some use versatility.

A couple "J" hooks for axle tubes and an adapter for a differential nose might add some use versatility.

Dave,
That's a great idea and would be very easy to do. And perfect timing since I'm about to go into
the differential in the bee
Thanks

-
Back