Bumpers...

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
I got a ticket in 1986 for no front bumper on a car. It had plates and nerf bars but no stock chrome bumper as it was rusted out. Where is the 5mph bumpers on this/these new cars? It's a fuel cell Toyota Murai.
20180425_113648.jpg

I got a ticket in 1986 for no front bumper on a car. It had plates and nerf bars but no stock chrome bumper as it was rusted out. Where is the 5mph bumpers on this/these new cars? It's a fuel cell Toyota Murai.
View attachment 1715169091
The bumper is a large bar behind the urethane front fascia. The fascia is flexible and the bumper bar behind it does the protecting.

There is no DMV requirement for a bumper???? In Texas we're not required to have windshield wipers if you don't have a windshield (like on a Jeep or Hot Rod). Even the windshield isn't required!!

Treblig

F'n Cali man. This place sux. Weather is nice but that is it. My telescopic bumper mounts had boxing gloves tied to them so I wouldn't impale anyone in a crosswalk and I had a VW nerf bar mounted in between. I was actually parked in a lot and he drove by and stopped , backed up and then stepped out and gave me a ticket. I ended up strapping a 4x4 across the mounts and cutting it flush with the track width. I even put a stain in it to make it look nice. Cop signed me off!

OH!!!!!!!! California.......never mind!!! LOL

I was in Los Angeles just 3 weeks ago. Every time we got on the highway it was bumper to bumper either at a stand still or at 2/3 MPH. It took an hour to travel 10 miles on the highway (5 lanes wide)...it was hell!! But the motorcycles had no problem at all, they simply drove in between the lanes (between the stopped cars). The motorcycles were doing about 50 MPH while the cars/trucks were standing still. I saw a cop in the HOV lane sitting still in the bumper to bumper traffic when 3 motorcycles came blazing through between the lanes and between all the cars. One of those cars was the cop but the motorcycle riders didn't even wince or slow down because the cop was trapped by the bumper to bumper traffic. Even if the cop turned his lights/siren "on" the cars in front (or in any other lane) couldn't move out of the way. It was ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!
I must have seen at least 50 motorcycles do the same thing in the 4 days I was there. They also use the same tactic in downtown traffic....nobody moves unless it's a motorcycle!!!!!!
I also saw my first self driving car on the freeway in Cali. The guy was texting on his phone doing 70 MPH with NO HANDS on the steering wheel. I stayed next to him for about 5 min just to watch him totally ignore the cars around him as the car drove itself. Of course this was more out of town where there was actually room to drive.
Treblig

I was in Los Angeles just 3 weeks ago. Every time we got on the highway it was bumper to bumper either at a stand still or at 2/3 MPH. It took an hour to travel 10 miles on the highway (5 lanes wide)...it was hell!! But the motorcycles had no problem at all, they simply drove in between the lanes (between the stopped cars). The motorcycles were doing about 50 MPH while the cars/trucks were standing still. I saw a cop in the HOV lane sitting still in the bumper to bumper traffic when 3 motorcycles came blazing through between the lanes and between all the cars. One of those cars was the cop but the motorcycle riders didn't even wince or slow down because the cop was trapped by the bumper to bumper traffic. Even if the cop turned his lights/siren "on" the cars in front (or in any other lane) couldn't move out of the way. It was ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!
I must have seen at least 50 motorcycles do the same thing in the 4 days I was there. They also use the same tactic in downtown traffic....nobody moves unless it's a motorcycle!!!!!!
I also saw my first self driving car on the freeway in Cali. The guy was texting on his phone doing 70 MPH with NO HANDS on the steering wheel. I stayed next to him for about 5 min just to watch him totally ignore the cars around him as the car drove itself. Of course this was more out of town where there was actually room to drive.
Treblig

This las t paragraph is the future.

Treblig
And what the motorcycles were doing is legal! Called lane splitting...Motorcyclist can now legally ride in between lanes

And what the motorcycles were doing is legal! Called lane splitting...Motorcyclist can now legally ride in between lanes

It might be legal in Cali but they weren't following the guidelines:

"CHP issued guidelines through their California Motorcycle Safety Program in 2017 that instructed motorcyclists to travel no more than 10 miles per hour faster than other traffic and not to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster. The guidelines also includes a list of when not to split, disclaimers and messages to other motorists."

No matter, the cops could never/ever catch them, you can't have a car chase if you can't chase the car (or motorcycle).

Treblig

It might be legal in Cali but they weren't following the guidelines:

"CHP issued guidelines through their California Motorcycle Safety Program in 2017 that instructed motorcyclists to travel no more than 10 miles per hour faster than other traffic and not to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster. The guidelines also includes a list of when not to split, disclaimers and messages to other motorists."

No matter, the cops could never/ever catch them, you can't have a car chase if you can't chase the car (or motorcycle).

Treblig
A cop doesn’t need to chase them if he gets their license number. Most police cars have license plate scanning cameras on board these days and can grab a plate number in a fraction of a second.

They can just mail the ticket and the offense is in the system.

Lane splitting is legal, even the cops do it. The guidlines are only that, not enforceable. There was a move to push a "only+xx faster than slowed cars" but I dont know what came of it. Of course they can just make it a law like the rest of the laws around here with no input from the public. Driverless cars are common around here. Imagine if all cars were autonomous, there would be no traffic jams! (No wrecks, no officers giving tickets and slowing the freeway to 10 mph so gawkers can look, no speeding fast and furious ricers...) Life would be good again on these crappy freeways. Take my classic to work on these roads, yeah right!

-
Back