Burning leaves

-
I have an 80 foot tall maple on my property, my first spring here I burnt some leaves, it was a cold day so I found it nice to stand by the burn barrel. Nope, very bad idea.
Since then I've developed allergies and become prone to sinus infections. This is 2 years of it now.
My neighbor advised me to pile them up in my yards and mow over them.... But lol, I got a sinus infection from the damn dust I created.
Not so funny, I had to miss Thanksgiving with my family.
Moral of the story is every action has a reaction and sometimes a consequence which is more like a punishment for not thinking things through completely.

I have a huge mound going in my shady oasis, from all the clean up from trees and plants I'm just letting it turn back into soil

Bag your leaves. Put them at the curb. The city or borough will pick them up.
I'm going to let you guys on in a easy safe way to deal with your leaves, simply run over them with your mower, the mower grinds them up so fine that you can't see them and it's great fertilizer for your yard, I've been doing this for years.

I'm going to let you guys on in a easy safe way to deal with your leaves, simply run over them with your mower, the mower grinds them up so fine that you can't see them and it's great fertilizer for your yard, I've been doing this for years.
There's been a few of us mention that

I've tried this with many different types of mowers. Every one of them collects at the front of the deck and just plows, the mower won't go over them and chop them up. Unless I did what my retired neighbor did before he died /and that's to mow every day as the leaves fall, and keep up with them.
Since the have to work, and have so little daylight when I get home I can't do that daily. I have to wait til the weekend, to have time to do leaves and they can pile up pretty good in a week.
Before he got his riding mower he'd bundle them and bring them across the street to my ditch so he didn't hurt the grass in his ditch...... That was getting old, after the first time he did that
I've taken to burning at the end of my gravel driveway, but the weeds took over the bottom of my ditch this past summer so it was a good excuse for me to get rid of them once and for all

I've tried this with many different types of mowers. Every one of them collects at the front of the deck and just plows, the mower won't go over them and chop them up. Unless I did what my retired neighbor did before he died /and that's to mow every day as the leaves fall, and keep up with them.
Since the have to work, and have so little daylight when I get home I can't do that daily. I have to wait til the weekend, to have time to do leaves and they can pile up pretty good in a week.
Before he got his riding mower he'd bundle them and bring them across the street to my ditch so he didn't hurt the grass in his ditch...... That was getting old, after the first time he did that
Yep I go in reverse, it will suck leaves under the deck. Works really well with the deck up high and dry leaves

I've taken to burning at the end of my gravel driveway, but the weeds took over the bottom of my ditch this past summer so it was a good excuse for me to get rid of them once and for all
I've never had a problem with any of my riding mower's cutting up the leaves. I understand what you're saying about working and not having the time. With me being retired I cut the leaves at the beginning of fall and I don't do it again until the beginning of the cutting season. Once maybe twice during the winter I'll blow them away from the house and into the woods. I don't trip on leave situation like some folks do.

The secret to mulching leaves with a mower is run it at least twice.
The first cut should a couple clicks higher than the usual cut.
lower the mower on the second cut.
I usually mulch twice at a higher setting and bag on the third cut at normal height.
I've mulched 6" deep leaf cover this way and not many leaves left to bag, just a final cleanup.

I have an 80 foot tall maple on my property, my first spring here I burnt some leaves, it was a cold day so I found it nice to stand by the burn barrel. Nope, very bad idea.
Since then I've developed allergies and become prone to sinus infections. This is 2 years of it now.
My neighbor advised me to pile them up in my yards and mow over them.... But lol, I got a sinus infection from the damn dust I created.
Not so funny, I had to miss Thanksgiving with my family.
Moral of the story is every action has a reaction and sometimes a consequence which is more like a punishment for not thinking things through completely.

Well that sucks. The old lady got sick over here just because that’s what she does. Now I’m sick. We should have been home hours ago. Now I’m sitting here, sicker than hung over dog fiddling my nuts.

My wife…what can I say LOL.

And she won’t rake leaves either.

Well that sucks. The old lady got sick over here just because that’s what she does. Now I’m sick. We should have been home hours ago. Now I’m sitting here, sicker than hung over dog fiddling my nuts.

My wife…what can I say LOL.

And she won’t rake leaves either.
Shitty. What kinda sick, The snot infection?
I would've had to drive nearly 8 hours to spend a few with them. I found a hole in the radiator of my truck on Wednesday when I changed out my steering linkage and I hate her car.

I would've had to drive nearly 8 hours to spend a few with them. I found a hole in the radiator of my truck on Wednesday when I changed out my steering linkage and I hate her car.
He's probably reminiscing the wild turkey infection, just the thought makes me sick. lol

He's probable reminiscing the wild turkey infection, just thought makes me sick. lol

Oh hell no. January 17, 2023 is 30 years to the day with zero booze and/or dope.

Quite frankly, I didn’t think I’d live this long. Especially after I got married. The odds were the old lady was going to snuff me out in my sleep before out 5th anniversary.

Im pretty sure she’s made a couple of runs at but not quite gotten it done yet.

Give her time. Shes no quitter.

He's probably reminiscing the wild turkey infection, just the thought makes me sick. lol
Lol, yep me too. I have 11 years sobriety day before Thanksgiving, I can still conjure up some of that sick stank in my memory

Feels like a nasty cold bordering on the flu. Hitting DayQuil like a mother. NyQuil for tonight. I hope I can go home tomorrow. I want to watch your sea ducks beat the raiders in my own chair.

Oh hell no. January 17, 2023 is 30 years to the day with zero booze and/or dope.

Quite frankly, I didn’t think I’d live this long. Especially after I got married. The odds were the old lady was going to snuff me out in my sleep before out 5th anniversary.

Im pretty sure she’s made a couple of runs at but not quite gotten it done yet.

Give her time. Shes no quitter.
That's one of my favorites "killed in your sleep", just a great song

When I was growing up, we was surrounded by woods so messing with leaves was a joke. Now where I live is on 3 acres with 95% being wooded so again I don't worry about the leaves , I know that they drive some people crazy but I don't care

Feels like a nasty cold bordering on the flu. Hitting DayQuil like a mother. NyQuil for tonight. I hope I can go home tomorrow. I want to watch your sea ducks beat the raiders in my own chair.
Yeah I was getting a little fever last night but I told it to go away

When I was growing up, we was surrounded by woods so messing with leaves was a joke. Now where I live is on 3 acres with 95% being wooded so again I don't worry about the leaves , I know that they drive some people crazy but I don't care

You should be running over those leaves with a big bore 2 stroke dirt bike. That’s what I’d do.

Remember being a kid pulling up a huge pile of leaves and jumping 15 feet out of a tree, repeatedly and not feeling it ?
Man I miss those days lol

Yeah I was getting a little fever last night but I told it to go away

LOL…no one listens to me. You know that. Especially the flu AND the old lady. They laugh at me. Hell, even the dogs don’t listen to me. I’m pretty low in the pecking order around the 205. Thats a damned fact for sure lol.

LOL…no one listens to me. You know that. Especially the flu AND the old lady. They laugh at me. Hell, even the dogs don’t listen to me. I’m pretty low in the pecking order around the 205. Thats a damned fact for sure lol.
I think cinnamon does a little lol.
People only listen to me because of my beard, or they're just staring and acting like they're listening

I think cinnamon does a little lol.
People only listen to me because of my beard, or they're just staring and acting like they're listening

Cinnamon only listens to me if she thinks I’m going to play ball with her. Other than that, she is indifferent to me at best lol.

-
Back