Burning leaves

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I'm thinking that this is going to be a very interesting and learning experience. Just a short while ago I looked up leave burning and it said that it does put off toxins and it also puts off other cancer causing agents. Now I don't know all of this for sure as I'm going by what information has been listed on the internet.

Using the same internet, I found an article where a representative said that fires (wildfires, close enough to leaves for this debate) are worse than all the cars emissions out together.

Leaves (and wildfires) have more particulate matter, while cars have more greenhouse gas emissions. Two different emissions, but compared as the same for whatever reasons we do not need to get into.

In my quick search, the newest article was from 2018, with many being from the early 2000's, and one from way back in 1990.

As for wildfires, th emissions given off, are balanced out by the regrowth that occurs after said fire, becoming net neutral in the end.

Using the same internet, I found an article where a representative said that fires (wildfires, close enough to leaves for this debate) are worse than all the cars emissions out together.

Leaves (and wildfires) have more particulate matter, while cars have more greenhouse gas emissions. Two different emissions, but compared as the same for whatever reasons we do not need to get into.

In my quick search, the newest article was from 2018, with many being from the early 2000's, and one from way back in 1990.

As for wildfires, th emissions given off, are balanced out by the regrowth that occurs after said fire, becoming net neutral in the end.
Interesting.

Here in the Lower Mainland (population of 2.8M) you cannot build a new house with a traditional wood fireplace. Existing homes with wood fireplaces are grandfathered.

I had to laugh a couple of years ago. Traveling up I 75 in Ga. A huge billboard stating you shouldn't burn yard waste, as it contributes to pollution. Right behind the billboard they had a huge fire going, to burn vegetation and trees where GADOT was building a new interchange.

........And their grass.
I dont remember my father or Grandfather burning them. At the time there was a lot of open fields so leaves were probably dumped and turned into mulch
Im going to say that my G-father having a very big garden used mulch
I do remember other neighbor's burning leaves at the curb on the street. That would have to be in the later fifties

I dont remember my father or Grandfather burning them. At the time there was a lot of open fields so leaves were probably dumped and turned into mulch
Im going to say that my G-father having a very big garden used mulch
I do remember other neighbor's burning leaves at the curb on the street. That would have to be in the later fifties
Every spring in our neck of the woods, the neighbours would burn off their lawn (and thatch). The grass always came back beautiful.

I put Gator blades on my mower every fall. Blow the leaves away from house, fence etc. I few passes and no more leaves. Problem solved and the grass gets compost. Leaf burning is a lot of smoke and dangerous during dry conditions. I'm very cautious about open burning after a fire got away as a teen and burned several acres. Cost our family a lot of money. In TN you're 'suppose' to get a burn permit. Some places it is prohibited. I have a smokeless burn barrel for the sticks. Be careful!

How is PM from wildfire balanced out by regrowth?
It didn't say specifically, but I think they implied the regrowth filters out enough carbon to offset the fires emissions. It wasn't very detailed, most articles I've found, aren't.

I still burn leaves. Usually takes me 2-3 rounds to get rid of them all.... 2 days ago a few of my neighbors were still burning theirs

Five acres around the house with big pine and oak. We burn some, chop some, evan have a picker with a brush roller that puts em in a big basket to dump out. You just have to be sure there is not a burn ban due to dry conditions. But this is the sticks. Well anyway, they think it is the sticks.

Here in the Lower Mainland (population of 2.8M) you cannot build a new house with a traditional wood fireplace. Existing homes with wood fireplaces are grandfathered.
They have been trying to get that state wide for years now. It's to keep you depended on them for your heat. People won't stand up for themselves

-
Back