Buy new or use what I have

-
Ok popped off the seals and bearing came right out.

So just wipe off as much grease as possible, then what just a degreaser spray? Like simple green or something stronger like acetone? I'm pretty sure this stuff has never been used just purchased then packed then sat for a while. The grease is a little dirty so a good clean should do them well.

I also could get all new bearings and seals tomorrow for 50 at napa. Or my cart is stuffed with bearings and seals on RA for 30 shipped but they won't be here until next weekend 100 if I add rotors.

I'm not paying 50 to turn these, I'll pay 60 for new ones before having them turned.

View attachment 1715441090

View attachment 1715441091

View attachment 1715441092

Soak the bearings in a tub of mineral spirits, it will soften the grease, then rinse with brake cleaner, they should be fine.
On the rotors soak in vinegar or evapor-rust.
Just buy new seals.

That's desert rust, more like a protective coating here:lol:
Some folks pay a lot for patina like that :p
Its a flash rust, not deep pitted.
I'd hit it lightly with the da or orbital 220 ish grit to knock off the bulk of the oxide.
I've also given them a light abrasive blast at lower pressure.

I'd have been drivin down the road already. Three times. LOL

Rotors will be ok, just remove the surface rust on the flat areas where the pads contact. Your biggest concern should be those bearings...
Wipe and clean old grease from inside rotors and spindles.
Clean bearings with Brake Clean spray until there is no old grease on them, dry them good and inspect them for pitting or any marks on the rollers... Re-Pack each bearing, be sure to get the grease in between each roller by pushing fresh bearing grease from bottom to top, Using the palm of your hand or a bearing packer. Trying not to spin the bearing while packing. Wipe your greasy hands on the clean spindle, just a film is good. Same goes for the bearing races inside the rotor.
There's plenty of reassembly tips if you search this site, no need to go over that, again.
Good Luck!

Ya ain’t lyin! I’d also be on to the next issue. This should have been done and driving by now. The bearing cleaning advice was good. I’ve only used brake cleaner to get my bearings cleaned up. Repack them in grease Immediately and install! Boom baby! Next!
This is it even a days work.
If you can check the discs for being out of round or flat, use them as is and start driving. The worst care is you take them off for new parts. Not even a half days work.

Hey Doc,

I have been not using the correct terms for the bearings

Below image is correct
upload_2019-12-22_10-25-5.png

The cup is pressed into the hub, the cone is the part that comes out easily.

We all can give you all the advice in the world but the FSM ( downloadable at mymopar.com) will have the best info.

Unless the rotor has been turned too much ( measure with a proper caliper) or is warped (and you will not know that till you can rotate it or use it) no need to replace it

The rotors have inner and outer bearings and a seal? Do these usually come installed in new rotors? I only ask because the inner, outer and seals are 50 bucks again getting towards price of new rotors so buying new seems like a logical choice ha

Typically new rotors do not come with bearings, some might have the bearing cups installed. Some rotors do not come attached to the hub.

It's a 69 dart. I tried pressing in new rear seals in my 8.75 that I just finished up and bent the seal.
Installing the grease seal on the front hub is 1000% earier then a 8 3/4 inner seal and the seal is about a buck or so

So just wipe off as much grease as possible, then what just a degreaser spray? Like simple green or something stronger like acetone? I'm pretty sure this stuff has never been used just purchased then packed then sat for a while. The grease is a little dirty so a good clean should do them well.
I also could get all new bearings and seals tomorrow for 50 at napa.

The roller bearings in the cone should look uniform, the rollers should all look about the same, same color, same texture (smooth) etc. The cup in the hub should also look uniform and similar to the roller bearings in the cone.

Unless the bearings are blued, scratched, chewed up etc just buy the seals, clean the old grease out with cleaner of choice even soap and water will work just blow dry or alcohol them to remove the water and then repack them with proper grease. do the same to the inside of the hub, add a little grease inside there as well,

wheel bearing greese.JPG

put the race back in and the rear seal and clean the spindle add a little grease to it, and slide the hub/ disk on. put the outer bearing ( greased up as well) then the washer, nut and keeper and tighten as per the FSM (basically snug -not tight- with wrench then loosen till slight rocking movement can be felt) cotter pin, put on the grease cap and one side done.

This video is not too bad (but I would clean bearing and all surfaces of all grease first)

This video at about 5:00 shows packing with tool (but I would clean bearing and all surfaces of all grease first)

Shows tightening and adjusting

This is from 67 FSM
bearings 1.JPG
bearing 2.JPG

Last edited:

Soon my friend!

Ya ain’t lyin! I’d also be on to the next issue. This should have been done and driving by now. The bearing cleaning advice was good. I’ve only used brake cleaner to get my bearings cleaned up. Repack them in grease Immediately and install! Boom baby! Next!
This is it even a days work.
If you can check the discs for being out of round or flat, use them as is and start driving. The worst care is you take them off for new parts. Not even a half days work.

My old body doesn't get things done in 1/2 day heck even a full day is pushing it.

I mean its 1030 right now and I'm still in my pj's holding my 3 month old baby so this rate I'll be driving by...next christmas

Saviour the time, in a blink they will be moving out and starting their own lives and your heart will ach for the time when they were young. Damn now I need another box of tissues, ( time of the year gets me all sentimental)

I'm guessing it's $15 to turn rotors at oreillys. Also don't buy the Harbor freight seal driver. It's so bad, I'm returning it. The discs are made of plastic, and the threads in the handle are so loose, I'm surprised the bolt would tighten.

I feel like I'm in my 50s at times.

Spent some time making cupcakes and hanging with the grinch. Now finishing the broncos game then going to clean the bearings and hook up the rear parking brake.

20191222_151740.jpg

Got some grease and some more brake cleaner, going to clean the bearings, sand the rotors lightly and call it a day.

Also got some pain in the *** bushings out with this cool contraption.

Thanks for all the advice! As always this place is great and super helpful to the young learning mopar fans. The purple car will soon live again, the kids and I miss slurpee fridays when I pick them up from school in it.

20191222_211748.jpg

20191222_211820.jpg

20191222_211829.jpg

Cleaner. This was the easy stuff st least I didnt break any of these cant say the same for the other stuffs.

20191223_221447.jpg

-
Back