Buying a 2013 RAM??....thoughts please...

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
I was looking at a 2013 Dodge Ram, 1500, Regular Cab Short bed, with a 5.7 HEMI, 6 speed auto, 2 wheel drive. White. Best I can get is $100 over invoice. with an unlimited miles, full lifetime warranty with GAP insurance included. just thinking here. what are your thoughts? are these good trucks? im in the market for a good truck.

20130905_150001_zps59b41458.jpg

20130905_150022_zps43b4b2ca.jpg

20130905_150042_zps3371a668.jpg

Good truck but trust me just get an extended at least. I got kids and a regular cab aint workin!

I was thinking the same thing, regular cabs have fallen out of favor for just that reason, that's why you can get such good deals on them. Nice looking truck though.

I work for a Ford dealer and I will say this.....

1st. A regular cab 2wd has absolutely zero resale value so you will instantly lose your *** the moment you buy it.

2nd. Buying any brand new vehicle is retarded. Get something a year or two old.

Buy it! Great trucks.
All three mfg's are building to capacity right now, no big deals out there right now.
Tundra & 2013 GM trucks are the only things with money on the hoods.
That should tell you something.

Buy it! Great trucks.
All three mfg's are building to capacity right now, no big deals out there right now.
Tundra & 2013 GM trucks are the only things with money on the hoods.
That should tell you something.

Can't speak for Toyota but GM it's quite simple the 2014 is a redesign year/model. The last year of a design for any car/truck is hard to sell because the new model is coming out. It really is simple. So for that reason you might wanna look at a GM if you don't mind it being the last year for that design.

Got an 11 myself, don't think I'll ever sell it. From what I'm told the 13 is only better. Bugs worked out of the 6speed, stiffer frame, better fuel eff. and couple more horses. Sweet truck. Might rethink the reg cab. I got suckered into the crew cab but I'm glad it happened.

I have a '10 4wd, hemi, towing package, 3.92 gears. I don't like extended cab trucks myself, harder to maneuver. I really like this truck and plan to keep it for a very long time so I don't care about resale value. I gave $200 over invoice for it less $5k on rebates, bottom line was $22,800 in late 2010.

Mine had the black plastic filler above the bumper and a chrome grille like the one you pictured. After I hit a deer and wiped mine out I got the painted filler panel and grille which I think makes the truck look much better. I also swapped to an aftermarket set of wheels after these pics were taken.

First pic is right after I repaired it after hitting the deer, the second pic shows it earning it's keep.

I'd say if you like the truck, buy it. They are very good trucks IMHO.
Dallas

BTW, my previous truck was a white '05 2wd r/c, short bed with the 4.7. My initial plan was to drive it for at least 10 years. I had owned it for 5 years when a guy from TX hit me up to buy it, said he couldn't find a used r/c short bed 2wd for sale. I told him I planned to drive it for 5 more years, didn't want to sell. He asked IF I was to sell it how much would it take to buy it. Well, I shot him a price and he walked off. 2 months later he called and said he would be up the next weekend to get it. May not be as hard to sell as the dealers let on like. They probably are looking to sell the loaded high dollar units. I will add I wouldn't consider another 4.7 after owning the hemi.

Attachments

• IMG_5822 (Small).JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_7017 (Small).JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 236
Ok. Thanks yall. Still looking. i do really like these trucks. not really sure i want a 4x4. the extended cabs were okay, i just like the regular cab better.. i dont really think id resale it ever, i know of course i would not get back what i paid for it. like with everything else.

from what ive read the 8 speed auto trans is better unit than the 6 speed auto. of course I would only get the Hemi. test driving a few, they haul the mail! the power is great.

keep the comments comin!

I fell in love with the new Dodge when it came out. Stopped to look at a 2013.The truck sat way too high for a 2wd. second, when I opened the back door on a 4 door model, it had no more room than my 06 extended cab Ford. The killer for me was no cd player. They would add a single disc in the back for $1000. I'm not the type of person who spends his time and a lot of money downloading songs onto my computer, then loading it onto an ipod, then plugging that into my truck stereo., when I can just put in a disc and go. I still think it's a great looking truck, but I wouldn't buy it for those reasons.

Can't speak for Toyota but GM it's quite simple the 2014 is a redesign year/model. The last year of a design for any car/truck is hard to sell because the new model is coming out. It really is simple. So for that reason you might wanna look at a GM if you don't mind it being the last year for that design.

I don't think the GM guys did much to separate the 2013's from the 2014's.
Still the weakest horse power in the 5.7 range.
Body not much different either.

Ok. Thanks yall. Still looking. i do really like these trucks. not really sure i want a 4x4. the extended cabs were okay, i just like the regular cab better.. i dont really think id resale it ever, i know of course i would not get back what i paid for it. like with everything else.

from what ive read the 8 speed auto trans is better unit than the 6 speed auto. of course I would only get the Hemi. test driving a few, they haul the mail! the power is great.

keep the comments comin!

If the truck you are looking at has a 6-speed, it's a early production truck.
All the mid-year & later trucks should have the new 8-speed, which makes the truck quicker & has better fuel economy.
If it is an early model truck, that might mean the dealer has had it for awhile. You might get a better deal on it.
I think the reg cab truck is the best looking of any manufacture out there.
the resale market isn't as broad as a Crew Cab market, but if you are planning on driving it for a few year, it don't matter.
After a few years old, the Value might just suprise you, clean 10 year old reg cab trucks bring some good money, because there isn't a bunch of them.

My son has a 2010 Crew cab HEMI. It replaced his 2004 Q/cab HEMI.
This truck rides great with rear coil spring suspension.
He left for Dallas this morning with the racecar on a open trailer, he just called & told me he got 14.2 milage on the way down.
We had just changed the plugs & installed a K&N filter.
The only downside to the newer Chrysler stuff, the OEM spark plugs are to be change @ 30000 miles.
I have been going back with Champion double platnium to extend the interval.

I just bought an 09 , and got an excellent deal . Love it . And they even paid the sales taxes for Missouri and Illinois . And it only has 20,000 miles .

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 215
Bonham Chrysler had a bunch of leftover 2012 2wd reg cab Hemis at a great price. They do a lot of internet sells and are not that far from MO.
I drive a 97 F150 RegCab flairside and have no need for a Crew Cab, you actually get a longer bed with the reg cab vs crew cab. Right now all you find on the used market is crew cab trucks. I wouldn't worry about resale. The collector truck will always be reg cab short bed....if you keep it long enough.

I really like the 2 door short bed trucks........ I bought new a 2010 Ram 1500 Crew cab and it stays parked most of the year.... I like driving my 2002 2 door short bed Dakota, it has 145,000 miles and still hauls azz!

FYI, I'm waiting for the 2014 Diesel 1500......

Wow. New truck shopping. I guess things have improved for you. Congrats.

I want a 2013 Ram Express Quad Cab 2wd 5.7 hemi cloth interior [I have leather, vinyl] nothing extra just standard equipment, only one special thing it must be Copper Head Pearl that color is awesome. I was shopping and found several but can't risk making payments at this time.

okay agreed. we decided to look for a quad cab. most definitely want the 8 spd auto & 5.7 hemi. 2 wheel drive itll have to be.

of course the PLAN is to keep it forever.

my GF is REALLY pushing for this, and shes more into it that I am, and willing to pay half (50%) for everything. which of course makes it easier for me money wise...

I have an '11 4x4 regular cab short bed with 5.7 Hemi. I park in a corporate parking lot every day with tiny spaces, so since it's my daily driver, I couldn't really deal with the longer truck. I have no regrets. When we have to take the kid, he sits on the side, wife in the center (you cannot disable the air bag manually, it's just under 75lbs on that seat with auto-disable, not ideal, but it works). There's more room behind the seats than you think, even with the seat all the way back. We put all our suitcases, bags, computers back there, and the kid's crap in the trunk. If we had more than one kid, this would not work of course.

Even with the 4wd extra weight, the truck is FAST. I have the 3.55 rear, and I was thinking just yesterday I'm glad I didn't get the 3.92 I almost got, because the thing hauls *** right now, and it wouldn't be worth it for reduced gas mileage. Get the Sure Grip if you can, but even without, my truck does just fine (it was the only option I wanted that I wasn't able to get).

Hands down, this is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I drive it hard, don't baby it at all, haul loads all the time and it it still tight, just like new.

Whether you get extended or short cab, it's a great truck, IMO. Can't go wrong.

I'm surprised I get compliments on the truck all the time, constantly, even at Mopar shows (in the parking lots and hanging out, I don't put it in the shows). It's bone stock, but it's the deep red metallic and just looks sharp. Plus, people just like seeing the short bed/short cab trucks whether they are able to own one themselves or not (but they look good extended as well). They did a great design job on this gen of trucks. It looks sporty and mean all at once. Gets a 10 out of 10 stars from me.

I bought a used 2010 1500 Quad cab this spring, w/TRX off road package, HEMI, 3.92:1, 4x4, skid plates, totally loaded, and love it!
My old '02 Dingo was dying out on me (160K+ miles on her), and needed to replace her. Watched the local dealers internet ads (auto trader.com), & the day I went in to buy it (it was in a Buick dealership of all places, ICK!!), they had just reduced the price by another 1K! Needless to say, my credit union was very pleased to see that I was buying a vehicle for 5K less than wholesale price!

Attachments

• DSCN1496.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 160
I bought a 2011 Dodge Ram 4x4 1500 Sport new and haven't had a single issue and love it. I opted for the quad cab because I wanted the 6'4" box. It gets great gas mileage with the MDS too, it averages 10L per 100km's on the highway. I bought a used ranger before this (it was two years old with 48k) it was in great shape, but I soon found out the oil pan bolt was stripped, a spark plug was stuck and i had three warranty claims. Front axle seal, front brake problem and transmission to transfer case seal went and a bunch of the transmission oil leaked into the transfer case and it started shifting weird, after that it was lazy shifting first to reverse and ford wouldnt fix the transmission, they just replaced the faulty seal, so I got rid of it in less then a year at 70k. I chose new because I maintain my vehicles well and you just never know on a used vehicle.. and I want to focus on restoring my car and not work on my daily driver.

If Dodge is offering 0% financing and rebates it ends up being just as cheap as a 1 or 2yr old truck if you're planning on making payments. I got a great deal on mine because the 2012's were coming out.

null_zps6993ee38.jpg

I really like the 2 door short bed trucks........ I bought new a 2010 Ram 1500 Crew cab and it stays parked most of the year.... I like driving my 2002 2 door short bed Dakota, it has 145,000 miles and still hauls azz!

FYI, I'm waiting for the 2014 Diesel 1500......

Got my eye on that one as well.

My *** hauler:

(I've got a tonneau on it now, looks much better with it.)

Attachments

• IMG_1628email.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 153
-
Back