Buying a car - is this legal?

-

ESP47

Reaction score
Ok so this involves a friend ;)

My friend is trying to buy a 73 Valiant thats basically on it's last leg and on the way to the scrapper. It's been junked as well as salvaged in the past. The original guy bought it from a junkyard and sold it to the guy who my friend is now talking to. We'll just call the guy who has the car John. So John hasn't notified the DMV that he bought the car yet but he has the bill of sale, release of liability and the paperwork for a duplicate title signed by the owner before him whats owed on it. My friend called the DMV and they said that he would have to go in for them to tell him. So he got a hold of a friend who works for a different company and was told there is $250 worth of fees when the car is transferred. All he want is the motor and rear end out of it. Everything else is basically garbage.

My question is can he buy the car from the guy for a few hundred, take the parts out and send it to the junkyard or scrapper without ever notifying the DMV?

Laws vary from state to state. Best advice would be to contact your local law enforcement and ask an officer for clarification of the laws for your locality.

Why are you transferring the car just to junk it???
All state laws are different about selling a car for scrap, the yard I worked at here in NC, here's what we had to do when a scrap car came in, we had to write down the vin # and make a copy of the sellers driver license, the seller didn't have to have any other info or paper work like the title or even a bill of sale.. If you know the car isn't hot, I'd buy it, junk it out and cut it up for scrap, if it's totally cut up into a pile of metal it isn't considered a car anymore at the scrap yard...

The scrap yard that I worked at we did get some hot cars, that's why we had to start writein' down the vin # and make a copy of the sellers driver license. Even me working there I had to go through the same process if I sold my boss a car... But, if I totally cut the car up and hauled it in as "scrap metal" and not as a "scrap car", I didn't have any paper work at all.. Almost none of the cars that I sold for scrap did I have any paper work on, I knew who I bought the car from, so It was never an issue...

Again state to state, here in Ala, I had a really hard time titling my pick-up. The guy I bought it from never had it transferred from his father's name. I bought it after his father passed away. I had to buy like 6 tags for it to make up for not being regestered for 5 years. They told me (in Ala, anyway) it's not illegal to buy a car without a title, but it is illegal to sell a car without a title. Go figure. If you only want the engine, I'm with greenhornet, buy it strip it junk it. I just sold 8 scrap cars. I called a guy who advertised in the paper, he paid me and hauled them off, no questions asked - 2 of them were school buses!

Thanks for the replies guys. I talked to a cop as well as a towing company that doesn't require paperwork. I'm not sure if the towing guy knew exactly what I was talking about but he said he could pick it up and haul it off for $50 or so if it doesn't have a motor or isn't rolling. The cop said if worst comes to worst, just cut it up and throw it in the back of a truck and scrap it lol

-
Back