buying a car out of state

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
,I am considering buying an antique car from a collector out west. How do I go about this so I dont get taken? thank you for your time. He did sent me 2 pics of the title front/back which has been signed/dated from I would assume the owner he obtained it from. RR

If we are talking 1000.00 take the gamble.

Anything more go see it in person.

Well worth the plane ticket.

Don’t do it. Step away from the internet! That vehicle doesn’t exist. :lol:
I agree with the above post. But my days of long distance tire kicking and purchases are OVER. I think. Well, on second thought I sure would like that 81-83 Imperial that’s the only vehicle remaining on my as they say “bucket list”
Best of luck.

I go through this with clients all the time since I transport muscle cars. If you are at all worried then you need to find someone that can look it over, either on here or use an appraisal service. I have found that Mopar people are more than willing to take a look at a car for someone...

An antique car collector that is selling one of his treasures, OR antique car collector that runs a business selling antique cars. If he runs a business selling cars you may fair out better.

Any money you invest expect to lose! Unless you have that "type" of Disposable income to just throw away make a plan and go see what your getting. And if you are unsure as to your true skill to look at it properly pay someone you know and trust to do it!

Unfortunately, you can get caught up in the in the buying and not realize what your getting into. Include me in the list of who has done it. No more and trust nobody! Call me bitter, I don't care. The market has changed and people will stick it you and not care. On the other hand you might get the deal of a lifetime!

Do your homework and good luck! Otherwise, you were warned!!!!

JW

Where out west? The best advice is to get a set of eyes on it that you trust, yours, friends, appraiser. Do not buy sight unseen. And for gods sake dont wire money.

i would be worried that the title is dated. signed does not matter to me, but in illinois(land of ex-con governors), you would probably be given the 3rd, 4th and 5th degree as to why it was not sent in when it was dated.

,I am considering buying an antique car from a collector out west. How do I go about this so I dont get taken? thank you for your time. He did sent me 2 pics of the title front/back which has been signed/dated from I would assume the owner he obtained it from. RR
Find someone to look at it.. NEVER EVER buy without someone seeing it in person... I broke that rule this summer and regret it every day...
This was a pic from the ad..
signal-2022-06-02-134920_001.jpeg

This was reality.. I have most of it fixed now.. but i WAY overpayed and strategic pics will steal your money and time :)
2022-07-26 18.56.00.jpg

2022-06-04 15.44.00.jpg

2022-06-04 18.25.51.jpg

Tell us where the car is, there may be a member or a friend close to the car that can check it out for you.

Here's how I bought my 66 Barracuda from 900 miles away.

First, I paid a vehicle inspection service $250 to inspect it. He took 70 photos and did a test drive video.

After agreeing on a price, I called my bank, who had a branch in the seller's town to "order" the cash. It wasn't an extremely large amount but small branches don't keep a lot of cash.

At the same time I called some brokers and found one that was willing to work with me.

Then I flew to the location, met the seller to see the car, then we went to the bank to exchange the title and keys for cash. The broker had arranged an uncovered transport and he arrived the next day to pick it up. The guy was Somali with a beat up dulley but nice trailer. I told him I had and extra $50 if it arrived on time with no damage.

It worked out flawlessly, thankfully!!!

And, more than 10 years later, I still touch base with the seller!! He's a Chevy guy so he's not on FABO.

Good luck, it can be done. You just need to be careful.

If it is in So Nevada/So California/Arizona
I will look at it and the paperwork if you like.
I am racing in Arizona in a couple weeks.
I consult in So California every week.

I have been involved with Mopars for 60 plus years.
I had owned several Auto Dealerships for40 years.
No Charge = I like to play my Blessings Forward!!

This offer is open to everyone = As long as my Health
will permit.

Jesus is Lord of All from the Quiet Valley to the Raging Jungle!

Like 20 some odd YEARS ago I bought a "barn-find" 68 340-S vert from a guy in Oregon/Washington State area - I paid good money for an appraisal firm to go out take pictures and used an escrow service after. The car purchase was over 10K back then. When we came to transporting it I worked with the client to get a transport company to get it. A week or so later it was in my driveway. I wouldn't suggest loosing the funds to a scammer or being REALLY disappointed about the car, it only gotten worse out there.

Last edited:
I've done it a couple times. So far pretty lucky.
The first was an 83 D250 out of Wisconsin of all places, ebay buy. Turned out to have been one of the best trucks I have ever had. I still kick myself for letting that one go 5 years later.
Other time was a 2-fer, a 76 Aspen and an 89 ram charger, from one guy in Vegas. Drove the RC cross country back to Chicago, towed the Aspen with it by use of a tow bar....I wound up passing the Aspen along, (due to "life") but
my son still has the ram charger a dozen years later.

NOT a good idea to buy a car without looking at it, AND it is a bad idea to send money to a stranger on a car you have not seen and may not even exist. Do what 413 suggests below. If someone from California posted that he was thinking about buying a car in NE Kansas and could someone go look at it, I would do it in a heartbeat. Open a post with the car's location, and you will likely get a volunteer.
Tell us where the car is, there may be a member or a friend close to the car that can check it out for you.
You are right, sir.

all I've done so far is look at his eBay feedback, all positive reviews & 100% positive rating. the guy is a slick talker, definitely a pro. RR

it is in Beverly Hills. I just got off the phone with the guy & he thought about my offer yesterday & he had said yes yesterday then today he declined. he said he has way too many cars & some need to go. I had offered my 73 dart & 4.5K bank draft. the guy has an excellent rep on ebay (its for sale there & LA craigslist) I am not comfortable sending money out with no buyer protection. I could just buy it on ebay ($15.5K) & today he said he would sell it to me outright for $14.5K cash. RR. EDIT "1965 dodge dart"

it is in Beverly Hills. I just got off the phone with the guy & he thought about my offer yesterday & he had said yes yesterday then today he declined. he said he has way too many cars & some need to go. I had offered my 73 dart & 4.5K bank draft. the guy has an excellent rep on ebay (its for sale there & LA craigslist) I am not comfortable sending money out with no buyer protection. I could just buy it on ebay ($15.5K) & today he said he would sell it to me outright for $14.5K cash. RR. EDIT "1965 dodge dart"
That car has been up before so price maybe pretty firm. Time and money but a trip out west and driving it would be my choice. Hopefully drive it home with a bud capable of towing with a dolly.

I bought a car in LA. I live in Kansas. Spent $150 on spirit airlines ticket. Went to see it and had it shipped back on open trailer. Turned out great, but it was dirt cheap, so I had room to spend some money on it afterwards.

$15k seems like strong money for an early A. (I say this in ignorance, not knowing anything about the car). There is a pretty narrow market for early As.

I believe classic car prices, like housing prices, are over heated. What goes way up too fast comes back down. If you are not in a hurry, I would make an offer and wait it out.

I definitely wouldn’t do a long distance trade. Way too many things to go wrong.

Just an opinion from an old cheapskate….

It looks solid, but the interior looks to need work, including bucket seat foam. Get some independent eyes on it.

-
Back