Buying and Selling Stocks/Investments

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Im curious who here plays with stocks and investments. Im not talking IRA's etc... Do you prefer to do it online or in person with a broker? I've been looking into this a bit more, but honestly dont know how or where to start and just looking for experience from people that may do some of this type of playing with money.

I don't trust other people with my money unless it's backed by the Federal government. What kind of return rates are you trying to get??? I recently moved my Roth IRA money to a Roth IRA CD that pays 3.33 percent APR for 30 months. That's 3 or 4 times what the typical credit union rates are.....and it's tax free when you get it out!!! There is another credit union here in town that offered 3.25 percent APR for a 6 year CD, I was going to change credit unions but my credit union offered the higher rate. treblig

Im curious who here plays with stocks and investments. Im not talking IRA's etc... Do you prefer to do it online or in person with a broker? I've been looking into this a bit more, but honestly dont know how or where to start and just looking for experience from people that may do some of this type of playing with money.
I use a financial firm that my parents have used for decades. I am invested in diversified funds and both me and parents have averaged over 8% annual return for the past 20 years even through the Great Recession.

Thanks for the input guys, but Im not talking retirement accounts. Im talking about buying and selling stocks. Perhaps Investments was the wrong term to use in the title.

Thanks for the input guys, but Im not talking retirement accounts. Im talking about buying and selling stocks. Perhaps Investments was the wrong term to use in the title.
You can do it yourself using E-trade or similar for very low per trade cost. However, most online brokers require that you establish a substantial account to cover your trading activities. Using a personal brokerage firm will cost you more and they tend to have an inherent conflict of interest since they get paid by the trade and for their advice not by how much money you make.

You can do it yourself using E-trade or similar for very low per trade cost. However, most online brokers require that you establish a substantial account to cover your trading activities. Using a personal brokerage firm will cost you more and they tend to have an inherent conflict of interest since they get paid by the trade and for their advice not by how much money you make.

I've been researching those different sites, and why Im curious what others think that may do this.

I've just been looking for something different since myself and my wife each have pretty good retirement accounts going. I've been on some of those Lending sites, but the return is pretty low and also slow. I would like to play a little bit with some extra money I have to see how it goes.

I've been researching those different sites, and why Im curious what others think that may do this.

I've just been looking for something different since myself and my wife each have pretty good retirement accounts going. I've been on some of those Lending sites, but the return is pretty low and also slow. I would like to play a little bit with some extra money I have to see how it goes.
I used E-trade back when I was getting corporate stock options and it was easy to use. I just made all the trades myself and they deducted the per trade fees for my account.

I trade stock, options and futures and trying to make it my primary source of income. There is a lot to the "mental" part of the game. In the last two weeks, I've missed out on more than 10K in gains because I just can't seem to hit the damn button. Frustrating and part of the mental game.

There are 3 rules to being a trader...
1. capital preservation
2. capital preservation
3. see rule 1 & 2.

IMO, investment "advisors" are a total waste of money, snagging 1-1.5% every year from returns for results that don't even meet or exceed benchmark indexes. Do it yourself. Buy index funds or index stocks and be done with it and YOU get to make an additional 1-1.5% per year.

Straightline... if you still have my number, give me a call. If it's the 262 number, shoot me a PM and I'll send you my new number. There are some really good places to learn about trading. The broker you choose makes a big difference in cost to execute trades.

I use a financial firm that my parents have used for decades. I am invested in diversified funds and both me and parents have averaged over 8% annual return for the past 20 years even through the Great Recession.
That is a very strong return.

Most online brokers have low or no minimum to open an account. If you are investing, buy and hold, all you need is finds to buy the instrument. I have an account at one broker with $50 and that's only to get the charting they provide.

Trading is an entirely different animal for funds required and rules related to daytrading.

For those that want to do it on their own and avoid "advisor" fees. SPY, QQQ, IWM are indexes to look at when investing long term. There are other for Emerging market exposure, etc. Easy to do.

It's funny that the largest asset, sometimes exceeding the value of homes people live in, is willfully turned over to someone else. The issue with most advisors is they don't get paid on performance, they get paid for AUM, assets under management. There is ZERO incentive to be great... It's easy to get educated about it and save a TON of money in the long run. Run a growth rate on a single 1,000 for 40 years at 8% and 9%.... Do it for a ira style monthly/yearly additional 100-1000 investment per period. The difference in that 1% will shock you. I find that to be interesting. It's not hard to do this yourself and it can be fun.

If you are young, don't fall into that trap... Do it yourself, be disciplined.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I plan on doing it all myself, just trying to figure out the ins and outs of it. Like I mentioned I've been on a lending site since 2011 and yes I've double my money, but it took 7 years to do it. I was looking at something a bit more aggressive and more risk. Figured what the hell, its worth a shot.

Thanks for the info. I plan on doing it all myself, just trying to figure out the ins and outs of it. Like I mentioned I've been on a lending site since 2011 and yes I've double my money, but it took 7 years to do it. I was looking at something a bit more aggressive and more risk. Figured what the hell, its worth a shot.

Doubling your money in 7 years is a solid return - about 10% ROI

If you want to do much better than that, you're going to have more risk...
What sort of return are you looking for?

Paper trading is a good way to test/refine your strategy without going broke

Market's been on a tear for a loooonnnnnggggg time - this might not be the best time to go long...

Agree with 64DartGT, that’s called the Rule of Sevens. Expect your investment to double every seven years if you can achieve an annual rate of 10%, which is not as easy as it sounds over the long term. You can do better if you pick the right stock, but then again, you can do a lot worse. Are you willing to risk your principal? Do you feel lucky?

Oh yeah, that's real secure. lol
Maybe I should have said "least risky"????? The government covers your loses up to 100K, the stock market doesn't cover loses. Besides, if all banks failed (which would be covered by the 100K) the stock markets would hit bottom and everyone would lose money (if not all their money). The difference being that you get get nothing (no guarantee) from the stock market. I here municipal bonds are a good investment?? Treblig

I have never messed with stocks, and have never studied them. Maybe I should have, or should now. That being said, I just retired, and moved my 401 K to a reputable broker. So far, he's showing pretty good returns.

Have had great success in the last 3yrs. Investing with peer to peer lenders. Prosper, lending club,etc.
Small sample size at only 3ys. but at about a 8% return so far.

Have had great success in the last 3yrs. Investing with peer to peer lenders. Prosper, lending club,etc.
Small sample size at only 3ys. but at about a 8% return so far.
Do you have any idea what that (8%) comes to after taxes???

For me 8% probably drops to 6% which im happy with in todays investment world. Every individual situation with taxes is different though.

Maybe I should have said "least risky"????? The government covers your loses up to 100K, the stock market doesn't cover loses. Besides, if all banks failed (which would be covered by the 100K) the stock markets would hit bottom and everyone would lose money (if not all their money). The difference being that you get get nothing (no guarantee) from the stock market. I here municipal bonds are a good investment?? Treblig

No, IF you're talkin about the FDIC, IF they do what they SAY they cover up to 250K, per account. You may be talkin about something different, because my investment knowledge is next to nil.

No, IF you're talkin about the FDIC, IF they do what they SAY they cover up to 250K, per account. You may be talkin about something different, because my investment knowledge is next to nil.
My mistake....it is 250K coverage per depositor. Not one person has lost money under FDIC since 1933 when it was set up. Treblig

I did my own stock investing but the daily up and down wore me out. I started with mutual funds about 10 years ago and have had very good returns with less volatility. Getting old can't take the roller coaster any more.

Why not build a gen 2 hemi w/ the extra $$ ? street fuel inj., alum. headed roller cammed about 600 cubes or so --------------------lol

-
Back