Buying used snap-on box Vrs new bigger china box

-
If you plan on working for a while, do not skimp on a box. A crappy tool box will make your life miserable.

This is my set-up for work....it's a Senator.....all up with tools, weighs about 900 lbs....had it about 5 years.....gets moved/used everyday.

Attachments

• IMGP5554_resize.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 301
I bought a brand new "V" series box from Internation Tool Box. Made in Canada and good quality. They have different lines to choose from and are reasonably priced.
I love mine and would buy another one. Have a look....Brian
http://www.spginternational.com/

My Snap-on roll-a-way boxes are 38 years old and are now worth more than what I paid for them. Lots of times the tool truck dealer will give you the price back that you paid if you want to trade in the future. And they come to you every week.

My Snap-on roll-a-way boxes are 38 years old and are now worth more than what I paid for them. Lots of times the tool truck dealer will give you the price back that you paid if you want to trade in the future. And they come to you every week.
+1 4 years ago I traded in my Snap On box that I bought in 1984 and got what I paid for in towards this box. 7K used minus my $2500 trade in
null_zps29490365.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Start out with a nice big lower and can add top later. Personally I NEED THE WORK SPACE. By the way this box ways 900 lbs empty, not going to tip over.
Also he threw in the matching tool cart.

I was a MAc dealer from 84 to 93 and a Snap On Tech Rep from 93 to 99......My 1988 (50 year anniversary) Mac boxes are in the garage right now and over loaded like crazy and they still look good and drawers slide fine..........and these are before the ball bearing slides came along. You can see them behind my Suzuki.............

Attachments

• 2000 SV650 007.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 266
I love my Snap-on SS. I've had it for about two years now and is one of the best assets to my tool collection!

Attachments

• 20130525_170701_resized.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 257
i own a mac tech 1000 for work, and bought a used tech 1000 for home use. these have a nice wide top that can be used as a workbench. i made a stainless steel top for my work box. bought the one i use for work brand new 15 years ago for $1,800. heavy gage steel, and roller drawer slides.

i guy at work just bought a new harbor freight box that looks just like my tech 1000. same size and everything. very nice box, and the price was nice too, i think $700

I've used a lot of work bay size boxes and I prefer a smaller tool chest with a bare top for a work bench.

I also like having the drawers split up between two sides, so I'm not sliding something open that is the entire width of the box, to get one tool.

The toolbox that I have is a 15 year old ball bearing Craftsman.

I like the idea of the blow molded cases getting kicked from the box into a cabinet for loose tool sets. All of my hand tools are organized good, but there are some places in my box that are accumulating junk that need to go away, before I decide to go any larger.

I've thought about buying a cart, but I don't like the idea of having my tools out in the open, with all of the dust that comes with doing body work.

I've only bought used boxes to have a smaller investment in the storage. I always buy snap-on. My first stack is from 1965, still use it every day to make a living. Have bought some newer stacks also since. No problems or regrets. But it does seem I am always needing another set. And a new decal or two to cover the scratches.

Ended up with a 72inch HF box. Love it so far

Attachments

• IMG_20140411_230336.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 157
I'm an auto technician. Bought a homac h2 pro 56 inch box from northern tool for 1200 top and bottom. Very good quality and heavy metal very good purchase on my part

I've been working out of a 40" Craftsman roller bearing slide bottom box, no top box, for the last 17 years.

I'm a bit shy on space for pneumatic tools, although I don't have very many, I store them and my other blow molded kits on shelving.

If I ever decide to get another box, I will probably buy another bottom box, as opposed to a top box or top/bottom box set to replace mine, because I prefer having the work space. It is really nice having all of your tools right in front of you, beneath your work bench.

Mechanical tools aren't a big deal for me. I have a complete set of everything up to 36mm and 1 5/16", but I don't have redundancies, like multiple pairs of pliers that do the same thing. Every tool that I own has a unique purpose and that saves me a lot of room and frustration.

If I were a mechanic for a living, I'd probably have a set of long and short wrenches, because I'd be replacing parts on vehicles that were buried in tight quarters, but I've never run into that problem with the work that I do, so I don't have the need for redundant sets, but they have their place.

I will say, that I've puzzled my tool sets into my drawers set up with the depths used within 1/4" in some places. I'm going to need another box if I start getting into wood working soon.

-
Back