Bye-Bye Al-Anabi - Maybe For Good This Time!!!

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Back in November 2011 I started a thread titled, "Bye-Bye Al-Anabi???" when the rumor surfaced they may be pulling their funding for Alan Johnson's top fuel cars.
Today, Dragzine.com reports the Qatar Racing Club has terminated all funding for motorsports activities in North America. The leaves Alan Johnson Racing with no fund to go racing. And just as they were preparing for testing in West Palm Beach next week and the start of the 2015 NHRA season in early February.
Supposedly, the decision was made just as 2014 was closing and the team members were advised this morning.
Alan Johnson stated they were very surprised and disappointed and they are now exploring all of their options. He further said there will not be any additional statements until they have something to report. Until then none of the team members are allowed to grant any interviews.

A Qatar reaction to the falling price of oil?

I've never been an Al-Anabi fan just because of where the sponsorship money came from. They've always been my favorite to either DNQ or go out in the opening round of eliminations.

For sure, this will be an interesting season! Alan Johnson with out a sponsor. John Force with new sponsors. Hope he get enough $ to run hard. Plus the other companies pulling out of racing.

Considering Qatar's money comes from natural gas not oil don't think that statement holds water ocdart. Now the point that Denvermike brings up, other companies pulling out of racing, is something that has been happening over that last few years that we can only hope doesn't lead to less people racing legally.

Maybe the Nostalgia Drags circuit will grow in popularity when enough corporate money leaves and the "Big Boys" are reduced in number and the payouts are less.

Better dust of those old funny cars that you may have in the back yard. It might be cheap enough to run them again.

Maybe the Nostalgia Drags circuit will grow in popularity when enough corporate money leaves and the "Big Boys" are reduced in number and the payouts are less.

Better dust of those old funny cars that you may have in the back yard. It might be cheap enough to run them again.

Wouldn't that be nice! Those guys went back to the desert but now q80 is in America with their pro mod and radial cars. I wouldn't be suprised if those guys make it to top fuel and funny car.

I'm not a fan of either though.

Considering Qatar's money comes from natural gas not oil don't think that statement holds water ocdart.

The bulk of their petroleum-product export may be natural gas, but they're still a member of OPEC and OPEC is probably who's pulling the reins on this decision.

A smart business man would not get into racing, unless you need a tax write-off.
What does racing have to offer?

Been hoping on this for years. Enjoy nostalgia racing more, than current day stuff.

I hope nostalgia racing spreads to the SE. The closet race for me is bowling green and it is a haul. Speaking of funding I read that JFR lost $14 million in funding when GTX and Ford pulled out of racing. That is crazy! I wonder what that teams total budget is? :wack:

I hope nostalgia racing spreads to the SE. The closet race for me is bowling green and it is a haul. Speaking of funding I read that JFR lost $14 million in funding when GTX and Ford pulled out of racing. That is crazy! I wonder what that teams total budget is? :wack:

The bowling green race is amazing. DeffinAtly something everyone needs to check out!

Maybe they would start showing pro mods on tv. They are much more enjoyable that the fuel cars anyway.

My GTX will never pull out of racing!!!!

Racing can be useful if you change the rules over time to reflect what research and development needs to be done.

I've long said that if NASCAR had given racers a limited supply of fuel to run the race, and reduced it slightly every year, we would have 100mpg street cars now.

Racing can be excellent evolution if you use it.

I hope things to change, they say things always come back around. Between TF and Funny Car the money to run these are unreal. They should back them down and make more affordable again..I know yeah right . It would be nice to see a 32 car field again.
One can only wish...

Prostock only class I've been following for years now..

A Qatar reaction to the falling price of oil?

About time that the tables were turned.

Sadly I believe this is just a short term situation which OPEC is manipulating in order to get the US out of the shale oil business. :(

Ever notice at the Nostalgia Races(we have the famous and first dragstrip in America, Famoso Raceway outside of Bakersfield and the infamous March Meet) all the old timers with club feet? late fifties/early sixties were man's drag racing back then.

I worked at the NHRA track here in Denver, Bandimere for several years. We always had a good turn out for the weekend racers. These are the every day folks who race for fun. They may not go 300 mph but they are the back bone of the sport. Would love to see more of the old (60's) stuff.
Mike

Ever notice at the Nostalgia Races(we have the famous and first dragstrip in America, Famoso Raceway outside of Bakersfield and the infamous March Meet) all the old timers with club feet? late fifties/early sixties were man's drag racing back then.

LOL good observation. Personally, I miss the days before blower straps. There was always an air of anticipation of seeing the top end being launched into the sky.

I always wonder just how a sport of this nature, or any other sport can stay in business spending million after million just racing cars down the track!! Now, don't get me wrong, I love drag racing just as much as bowling, but watching John Force win races doesn't make me wanna run out and use nothing but Castrol Oil for my cars! I really don't care for all of the sponsorship talk at the end of each race, and while they allow the sport to continue, it's only at the million dollar level because the corporations will spend it! Will these guys still go racing if the millions aren't there?? How much do they love racing?? We shall see if the bottom falls out of the money!!

Kinda like the Rolling Stones playing the corner pub, just because they want to play their music for the people's!!!!.....

-
Back